Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirtundermyfingers

Help with Kale

dirtundermyfingers
12 years ago

Visited a friend tonight and we picked a big bag of kale, We nibbled on it raw and it was good, but hoping for some ideas, need to add some greens to our diet.

Comments (7)

• missemerald
    12 years ago

We got a bunch in our CSA boxes, and don't really like the stuff. But then I found a recipe for baked kale chips... YUM! I can dig up the recipe if you want.

• James McNulty
    12 years ago

If I take fresh kale, remove the big stems, julienne cut it and blanch in boiling water for 3 minutes, and then plunge into ice water to cool and preserve color, and then into the salad spinner, it makes a delicious salad green that no one would have any idea was kale.
    The quick cook and blanch leaves it slightly crispy and with a great flavor.
    When I make soup, stew, or pasta sauce, I julienne cut kale and add it in the last few minutes for a nutritional boost. You can see it but not really taste it it you use 3 to 6 big leaves.
    It is one of my "cheap eats" greens (along with swiss chard) that is cut and come again for months. They are $2.00 to $2.99 for a small bunch at the local big chain stores now. Very few plants will supply a family of 4.
    Jim in So Calif

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    12 years ago

Saute with garlic and a dash of pepper flakes. Serve over a small amount of pasta with lots of good grated Parmesan. For a meat version, saute any kind of good quality sausage before adding kale.

• amysrq
    12 years ago

We have been making this recipe this summer and love it. I cut the recipe in half. Once you start eating it, it's difficult to stop!

Autumn Kale Salad with Pine Nuts, Currants, Garlic & Lemon - serves 12

4 bunches Leaf Green Kale, stems removed, chiffonade
    2 cups Grated Parmesan Cheese
    3 bunches Scallions, finely chopped
    2 cups Dried Currants
    2 cups Toasted Pine Nuts
    1/2 cup Lemon Juice
    2-3 tsps. Chopped, fresh garlic
    1 cup Extra Virgin, fruity green olive oil
    Salt & Pepper

Mix olive oil, lemon juice and seasonings. Toss with remaining ingredients.

• tracydr
    12 years ago

I love kale. I take a huge pile of it and put it in navy bean soup. Nothing fancy. Just a nice, wholesome, vegetarian soup with carrots, celery, onions, garlic and navy beans. If you like, you can add some ham or bacon. At the very end, wilt about a pound of kale on the top of the soup with a lid and serve.
    I also like it in Italian sausage type of soups.
    I haven't tried kale chips yet but their on the agenda for this winter. Kale grows so easily here in AZ compared to broccoli, cauliflower or cabbage, which are fussy about temperatures and timing. Plus, it's really pretty so I can plant it places where I need ornamentals. And, if I getting overwhelmed, I can freeze, can or even give it to the chickens.

• dgkritch
    12 years ago

Here's the baked kale recipe.
    Best served immediatley out of the oven IMO, but actually stays somewhat crisp if cooled before storing in sealed container.

Watch it closely! It goes from "not done" to "burnt" very quickly!! Don't ask how I know this...

Baked Kale

2 cups fresh kale leaves
    Olive oil nonstick spray
    Dash salt, or more to taste

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Place kale leaves on a baking sheet sprayed with olive oil nonstick spray. Spritz leaves with the nonstick spray and sprinkle with salt.

Bake in the oven until crispy, 5 - 8 minutes, for a potato-chip-like snack.

If you like, season to taste with additional salt. Eat up!

MAKES 1 SERVING

PER SERVING (entire recipe): 64 calories, 1g fat, 212mg sodium, 13g carbs, 2.5g fiber, 0g sugars, 4.25g protein -- PointsPlus� value 0*

**Deanna's notes**
    I tear the leaves into about 2"x2" chunks.
    Add a bit of garlic powder or other powdered seasonings (cayenne, onion, thyme, etc.) if you like.

• Trishcuit
    12 years ago

I saw dried kale chips in a local health food store. They were very pricey, (it wasn't the cheapest game in town, even by health food store standards).So if you can make a tasty home version then that's awesome!