Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
april9_gw

how to use up 30 limes

april9
17 years ago

I got 30 limes from a friend. How can I use them? Can I freeze them whole or juice them first? What do you think if I use some of them to make marmalade I need your help please. Thank you.

april9

Comments (14)

• readinglady
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I tried freezing some lemons whole but didn't like the results. They basically collapsed when thawed and juicing them was almost impossible. It's work, but I've had good luck reaming the juice, freezing in ice cube trays and then bagging up the cubes.

You can also zest the limes and freeze the zest or dry it for use in recipes.

Of course lime marmalade is always a possibility, as is lime sugar, which can then be used in cookies, cupcakes, iced tea, etc.

Carol

• bb
    17 years ago

120 Corona's

seriously...

Lime Ade

Ingredients
    1 cup of sugar
    12 freshly squeezed limes
    6 cups of cold water

Directions
    In a half-gallon jug, mix 1 cup of sugar, juice from 12 freshly squeezed limes, and 6 cups of cold water.

Serve over ice. Makes 8 glasses.

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

Here is one adapted from a colonial recipe. "Sweetmeat" referred to any sweet, ranging from what we now call candy, to soft fruit spreads, to desserts.

Lime Sweetmeat

10 lbs green tomatoes
    12 large limes or a few more smaller ones

Halve the limes and remove the seeds. Chop or grind the limes and tomatoes very finely. Masure the fruit, add an equal amount of sugar and two teaspoons of salt. Boil the mixture, being careful to not let it burn, until the mixture is rather thick, about an hour.

The final result is a cross between a marmalade and a chutney, so can be modified with all the things chutney makers add, such as fresh or preserved ginger, raisins, nuts, etc. Me, I like it just the way it is.

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

Key lime pie.. Simple. add lime juice to cream cheese and add some sweetened condensed milk. It thickens all by itself. Pour into a graham cracker crust, refrigerate and serve topped with a dollop of whipped cream.

• readinglady
    17 years ago

That's an intriguing one gardenlad. I might just give it a try. I have a lot of respect for the culinary ingenuity and thrift of our predecessors.

Carol

• april9
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thankyou for all the recipes.

I was wondering whether it'd be okay to use the skin of the limes? or is it better to use them if they are organic?

- april9

• KatieC
    17 years ago

Jessy's Lime-Chipotle Sauce! yummmmmm. I quadruple the recipe for canning.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Lime-Chipotle Sauce

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1/2 cup honey
    2 tablespoons minced canned chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
    3 tablespoons brown mustard -- or dijon
    1/2 cup lime juice
    1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    Season with salt and pepper

Blend in food processor. Serve sauce as a marinade for grilled meats, poultry, and fish if your guests don't get to it first with tortilla chips. Makes 1 1/2 cups.

Source:
    "Jessy, CF"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Katie's note: This can be canned in a boiling waterbath for 15 min. at 0-1000 ft., 20 min. at 1001-6000 ft. and 25 min. above 6000 ft.

• readinglady
    17 years ago

Organic is nicer for zest, but well-scrubbed conventional limes are suitable too.

I can only get purchased limes and organic ones are few and far between.

Carol

• pottersfield
    16 years ago

Hi, Well the Lime-Chipotle Sauce sounds great. How does one store fresh Limes? On the counter, in the refrigerator, at a certain ambient temp in the cellar? Squeezing chopping and freezing sounds fairly reasonable. Does anyone know the best way?

• Linda_Lou
    16 years ago

Storage
    Store limes in the refrigerator. To get the most juice out to add to your recipes, keep limes at room temperature before squeezing.

• olliem
    16 years ago

An additional suggestion to add to Linda Lou's re getting the most juice - prior to cutting, roll the limes around on the counter, bearing down hard with your hand. This loosens up the interior membranes so the squeezing is easier and more juice is released.

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

I've read that if you place the lime or lemon in the microwave for about 30 seconds it helps to soften the insides.

• Kate Berridge
    4 years ago

I slice lemons/limes and put into ice cube trays, fill with water and freeze..... perfect for your gin and tonics and other drinkies !