Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisapat_gw

Pressure canning: floaters in broth & venting times

lisapat
10 years ago

I pressure canned beef broth for the first time and despite straining it with my finest sieve a couple times, I still have some floaters in the final product. Do you think that this would compromise the safety of the broth, considering the relatively short processing time for broths?

Also, when I do the 10-minute venting before putting the weights on, I've noticed that the pressure indicator pops up after steam has been escaping for about 5 minutes. I always wait until then to start timing my 10 minutes, but do I need to? I have a Presto 23-qt canner.

Comments (10)

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

What do you mean 'floaters'? Pieces of meat or fat?

I also allow a minimum of 10 minutes, so I wait for the answer for that.

I've never canned just the broth, but the meat and broth. I can seen to get everything piece of fat out of it. I just make sure to sure it withing a few months.

• lisapat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pieces of meat-like material, mostly. A small bit of fat too.

• User
    10 years ago

I have a Presto canner also and my air vent / cover lock also pops up after about 5 minutes. That's about the same time a steady stream comes from the vent pipe so I figured it was normal. That's when I start my 10 minute timing.

This post was edited by marti8a on Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 13:36

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Also, when I do the 10-minute venting before putting the weights on, I've noticed that the pressure indicator pops up after steam has been escaping for about 5 minutes. I always wait until then to start timing my 10 minutes, but do I need to? I have a Presto 23-qt canner.

It is normal for the pressure gauge to register some pressure while still venting - usually about 5 lbs. But timing does NOT begin until after the weight is placed on the vent tube and the pressure has risen to the full pressure required. Per whatever the food being processed is, the instructions read 20 mins @ 10 lbs, NOT 20 mins @ 5 or 7 or 8-10 lbs.

As for skimming broth - you can never get all the fat out but many find that putting the broth in the fridge over night causes most all the fat to congeal on the surface so it is easily skimmed and removed. Then reheat it and fill the jars.

Dave

This post was edited by digdirt on Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 13:56

• msmarieh
    10 years ago

Dave, I think you might have misunderstood. When the pressure indicator pops up is when she (and I actually) start the "10 minute" timing for venting. i don't believe she was referring to the jar processing time.

I wait for that pop up indicator to start the official 10 minute venting time, but I've always wondered if I actually should or not.

Marie

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Oke doke as long as we are talking about venting times, not processing times. That wasn't clear.

I wait for that pop up indicator to start the official 10 minute venting time, but I've always wondered if I actually should or not.

Depends on the brand of pressure canner whether you have some sort of indicator to go by or not - red pop up indicator or lid lock or just pressure gauge, whatever. The instructions read "steam flows freely in a funnel-shape from the open vent pipe or petcock." and that is what I go by. If that is coincidental to your indicator popping up or not I can't say.

But either way it is fine. It sure doesn't hurt anything to vent longer than 10 min. if that is what happens if you wait for the pop-up.

Dave

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

One thing I've learned by mistake, is to always run water in the lid and make sure the vent tube is clear. Every day that I use it. Blowing up is NOT FUN, luckily nobody was hurt.

• lisapat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks!

I had pea soup clog the vent in my other pressure cooker the other day. It's a new one and has safeties, but I'm still glad I was there to notice right away that it didn't sound right.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I just get in the habit each day before canning. I don't know exactly what clogged it. My kitchen was a galley/u-shaped and my husband was stand on the inside of the U with the stove between him and escape. When it blew, I thought he was going to jump over the bar, sounded like a gunshot. Lucky the only thing was damaged was some paint and the pressure relief 'cork'. Had a little trouble finding a new one, but did.

• readinglady
    10 years ago

Bits of meat and fat in the canned stock are normal and nothing to be concerned about as long as appropriate processing times and pressures have been followed.

Some residual elements are allowed for in the recipe.

Carol