Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leifheit jars - questions?

Posted by vall3fam 9 CentralCA (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 08 at 1:40

I visited San Francisco this weekend and found these gorgeous jars at Sur La Table. I bought a case of 6 .5 liters that had rings and lids included. These will be my private stock as I'm not sharing these with anyone - whohoo the price!

Anyway, the instruction cookbook that comes with it seems insane. It says old lids may be reused as long as you boil for 10 minutes (!?). And of course you can use your oven for canning? And doing water bath for string beans and carrots? The recipes also seem to be lacking on complete instructions.

I hope anyone unfamiliar with canning will toss this booklet out proceed with more accepted canning processes. Are these methods used in Europe?

But the jars are very pretty! I can't wait to make some jams or jelly in them. One jar for me and Ball for everyone else!!

Elaine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leifheit jars - questions?

As you have probably guessed, it may be that the seller was happy to 'unload' these.. Obviously all the odd instructions are a bit old and quite outdated. The ONLY issue would be finding new sealing lids. Reusing the old ones (except the all rubber and glass dome type), would be very bad home canning. Pretty to look at, but are the really THAT well designed and functional for a long time, is anyone's guess. If you can determine and locate the maker, or find a source for replacement lids, that can also help a lot.

Have fun!

o

Those jars are very pretty. I wish I knew a local place to purchase them.

I read that Ball lids can be used on some Leifeit jars, in this thread..

Do the Leifheit lids appear to be any different than Ball lids? I know the Leifheit replacement lids cost a good deal more. It might be worth an email to their customer service.

o

They aren't old jars; they're new jars and they're perfectly fine to use with Ball or Kerr lids (except for the very smallest size which uses a metric lug lid).

It's only their directions you need to ignore. Treat them as you would any other canning jar.

Sur La Table sells Leifheit in their stores and on their website. Amazon sells them with free shipping. You can't beat that. The Leifheits are expensive but free shipping on canning jars is a real bargain.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Amazon for Leifheit Jars

o

Suzytwo,
The lids and rings that come with the jars are the same dimensions as widemouth Ball or Kerr lids. I got them because they were pretty and unusually shaped and I thought they would be very decorative when used on the table. I was just amazed at the jacked up instruction booklet they included for people to use to can with.

After hauling them about three miles while walking around San Francisco, no one gets these with their jam in it. At the price of over $18 for six, though, they will be for my eyes only!! hehe! If I can't get people to turn back the Kerr jars, there's no way I'll ever get these back.

Elaine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here