Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can I safely add raisins to apple pie filling?

Posted by jill2761 southeast Texas (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 7, 11 at 2:31

One of my big successes last year was Pear Pie filling, using the apple pie recipe from the So Easy to Preserve cookbook. Can I safely add a cup raisins? Would I need to reduce the amount of pears by the amount of raisins to maintain the same total volume of fruit?

The recipe is: 6 quarts blanched, sliced apples (pears), 5-1/2 cups sugar, 1-1/2 cup clear jel, 1 tbs cinnamon, 1 tsp nutmeg, 2-1/2 cups water, 5 cups apple (pear) juice, 3/4 cup bottled lemon juice. Yields 7 quarts

I know a lot of you reduce the amount of clear jel, but I like how mine turned out last year, using the amount listed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can I safely add raisins to apple pie filling?

Yes. Technically it's ok as long as the volume, and so the density, isn't changed but given all the acidity (not with Asian Pears) it's probably safe anyway.

Dave

o
RE: can I safely add raisins to apple pie filling?

Thanks! I was pretty sure that was the case, but I wanted confirmation from a trusted source. My pears are an old homestead variety, Pineapple Pear. They ripen in late June, early July.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here