Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mellyofthesouth

Apricot preserves

mellyofthesouth
17 years ago

From Mes Confitures

Bergeron Apricot

2 1/2 pounds (1.15 kg) Bergeron apricots (a variety with firm dark flesh and red skin), or 2 1/4 pounds (1 kg) net

3 3/4 (800g) cups granulated sugar

7 ounces (200g/20cl) water

Juice of two small lemons

Rinse the apricots in cold water. Cut them in half to pit them. Mix the apricots, sugar, water and lemon juice in a cermamic bowl. Cover with a piece of parchment paper. Allow to macerate refrigerator for 8 hours.

Pour the contents of the bowl into the preserving pan and bring to a simmer. Return to the ceramic bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

The second day, pour this preparation into a sieve. Remove the skin from the apricots. Bring the collected juice to a boil in the preserving pan. Skim and continue cooking on high heat. The syrup will be sufficiently concentrated at 221 degrees (105 C) on a candy thermometer. Add the apricot halves. Boil again, skimming carefully. Lift out the apricots with the skimmer and divide them among the jars. Continue cooking the syrup on high heat for about 3 minutes. Check the set. Finish filling the jars with the syrup and seal.

To make this jam, you need apricots that are ripe but firm. Apricots that are too juicy turn to mush when are cooked.

My Notes: I also used some fruit fresh. The apricots have to be just at the right point of ripeness. My soft ones turned to jam. When I made the batch of jam I had to toss too many apricots so I bought a few more at the grocery store. The were too hard and I had a hard time getting the skin off them at all. I weighted the parchment paper down with a saucer otherwise the apricots on the top were still exposed to too much air. I also tried to make sure they were turned with the skin sides up so that if some of them did turn brown it would be ok since I was removing the skin anyway. I only used half a cup of water since I figured I was just going to have to boil it off anyway. Since I was using less water, I warmed it with the lemon juice and dissolved the sugar before pouring it over the apricots.

Comments (5)

• User
    17 years ago

Thanks so much Melly. Gosh this sounds good. I saw some apricots at the grocery store the other day that were beautiful in color. I have to try this recipe now!

• mellyofthesouth
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I hope you enjoy it! Did you see the picture of the halves I posted earlier. They are actually even prettier in person.

Here is a link that might be useful: apricot preserves

• gw:myst-7
    17 years ago

This sounds great,Thanks, I do hot water bath every thing I make, I really am not sure what I did wrong this time, but will take all the advice I can get.

This recipe I will try tonight, thanks for the links.
    Myst

• mellyofthesouth
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I always do a 10 minute boiling water bath since I'm too lazy to sterlize the jars first - even though it isn't specified in the french book. The German jars that I like to use don't really work without a the BWB anyway.

• readinglady
    17 years ago

You might want to compare with my recipe for Apricot-Pineapple. I can't see why any water is necessary. If you add it, then you just have to drive it off.

This is very similar in method to Mes Confitures but takes perhaps a bit longer and starts with peeled apricots. It's inspired by a base recipe from Helen Witty's "Fancy Pantry."

This recipe, like Christine Ferber's, can be done as plain Peach or Apricot Preserves, no pineapple.

Apricot-Pineapple Preserves

Categories : Canning & Preserving Jams & Jellies

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    3 pounds ripe apricots (large ones if possible)
    1/3 cup lemon juice (fresh not bottled)
    lemon pips (i.e. seeds)
    6 cups sugar (2 lbs. 12 1/4 oz.)
    1 20-oz. can crushed pineapple
    1/4 teaspoon ascorbic acid crystals -- (or use Fruit Fresh per instructions)

Scald apricots and skin. (About 40 seconds in boiling water or less depending on ripeness.) Place in acidulated water to hold.

Quarter apricots. Ream lemon and strain juice. Place seeds in a bag.

Combine apricots and lemon juice. Stir in sugar. Add seeds to the pan and set mixture in the refrigerator overnight or out on the counter for a few hours. Stir occasionally to distribute undissolved sugar.

When ready, place mixture in a pan on medium heat. Bring to a hard boil then simmer 10 minutes, skimming foam. Use a spatula to avoid breaking fruit. Cook another 20 minutes or so until fruit is translucent. Don't overcook. A shorter time is fine; avoid turning apricot pieces to mush.

Pour mixture into a bowl and cool. Cover with a cloth and let rest overnight again.

Lift apricots out with a slotted spoon and drain well over a bowl to catch syrup. Drain crushed pineapple separately. Be sure it is drained thoroughly.

Return syrup without fruit to the pan and set over medium-high heat. Boil rapidly to jelly stage (220°) or, if desired, a bit softer.

Stir in crushed pineapple and reheat. Carefully stir in apricots and any remaining syrup. Boil 1 minute.

Pull off heat and let cool 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to distribute fruit.

Do the usual with jars, lids, etc. BWB 10 minutes.

Carol