Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ckknh_gw

Tattler lids - long term experiences?

ckknh
11 years ago

I recently bought a small supply of the Tattler reusable canning lids, and used them for a batch of strawberry jam. They worked well. As a recent breast cancer survivor, I am trying to move away from BPA containing products, so I'm attempting to get away from the traditional lids I've been using for years.

Has anyone used the Tattler lids for a number of years that can comment on their longer term storage - quality of seal, etc.?

Comments (11)

• backyardbum
    11 years ago

I have been wondering the same thing. I would like to hear comments form anyone using them for two or three years. What are your openions and will you invest in more lids?
    Lynn

• Linda_Lou
    11 years ago

No long time use, but I did recently try some.
    Ball is changing their lids to not have BPA. I also got a lot of bulk lids from Lehmans that do not have BPA.

One of the concerns over the Tattler is they may have formaldehyde. Especially when pressure canning, it may be released. I cannot verify this, just something I had read about them. Perhaps you will want to do some research on this.
    We are also not totally sure that all air is removed from the jars, as they are tightened down after processing. This is one of our concerns about them.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

They haven't been around/available long enough for any long term testing - maybe 3-4 years max.

I bought a dozen to test when they first cam out and have used that same dozen off and on over the past 3 years but only on acidified foods and jams, foods where safety isn't a big issue.

They work ok but I much prefer the standard ones. Would I buy more? Probably not. BPA doesn't concern me nearly as much as the bacterial safety of my canned foods does. But as Linda Lou said, standard metal BPA free lids are available from other sources if you don't mind buying in bulk.

Dave

• ckknh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I looked at the Lehman lids, and it looks like they're the ones made by Tattler - same thing. Linda Lou, is this what you meant?

I'm happy to hear that Ball is planning to go BPA-free. How do you know? I searched and couldn't find any statement from Ball about it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lehman lids

• ckknh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oaky, I think that I know which you meant, the bulk dome lids. No statement as to whether they contain BPA, though.

It sure would be nice if Ball would come up with a BPA free lid. I know that there are canned good makers (Eden organic) that use BPA free cans.

My understanding about the formaldehyde in Tattler is that the lid does not get hot enough to release any. Hope that's true.

• backyardbum
    11 years ago

Thank you! That is the information we need to make informed decisions.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

My understanding about the formaldehyde in Tattler is that the lid does not get hot enough to release any.

Even when pressure canning? 240-250 degrees? Hard to believe.

A similar argument is made about the Ball lids with BPA - "your food isn't in contact with the BPA coated lid anyway".

It would seem that if we buy into one claim we might as well buy into both. **shrugs**

Dave

• ckknh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dave, I'm not using them for pressure canning. The site makes reference to formaldehyde release above 400F or so.

It's obvious that more testing under actual canning and storage conditions needs to be done for all of our health sakes. I truly hope that Ball will replace the BPA liner with a safe alternative.In my case, shrugging just isn't an option.

• gin_gin
    11 years ago

The Lehmans website does not specifically state their bulk dome lids are BPA free, and I would think they would say if they were. I have sent them a message earlier this week asking if they are BPA free, and I will post here if I hear back.

• digdirt2
    7 years ago

Thought I would post an update on my Tattler lids for what it is worth. I did buy an additional dozen 2 years ago and my original dozen have just come out of the pressure canner for their 5th and 6th use. Mine are all regular mouth and I used them on quarts of tomato juice and Shirley's Veggie Juice Cocktail. No problems at all and all seals are good. IMO any formaldehyde they may contain has long since been vaporized out of them.

These are even the original rubber rings and other than a light scrub with dish soap and water after opening the jars by slipping in a table knife blade as instructed, and then simmering them and the tops before applying and tightening down the bands as they come out of the canner - all is well for both BWB and pressure canning with them.

Sure they take some getting used to working with and they do tend to absorb a bit of the tomato staining after multiple uses but al-in-all I am happy with them. Especially give the 100% rise in metal lid prices in the past year.

I think I will buy 2-3 more dozen if my testing on green beans goes as well as it has for pickled foods and tomato products.

Dave

• Donna R
    7 years ago

I read somewhere that the new ball lids, the bpa free lids, have an american flag on the box...the old stock does not..that's how you tell at a glance.