Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tattler lids - long term experiences?

Posted by ckknh z5 NH (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 7:32

I recently bought a small supply of the Tattler reusable canning lids, and used them for a batch of strawberry jam. They worked well. As a recent breast cancer survivor, I am trying to move away from BPA containing products, so I'm attempting to get away from the traditional lids I've been using for years.

Has anyone used the Tattler lids for a number of years that can comment on their longer term storage - quality of seal, etc.?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tattler lids - long term experiences?

I have been wondering the same thing. I would like to hear comments form anyone using them for two or three years. What are your openions and will you invest in more lids?
Lynn

o

No long time use, but I did recently try some.
Ball is changing their lids to not have BPA. I also got a lot of bulk lids from Lehmans that do not have BPA.

One of the concerns over the Tattler is they may have formaldehyde. Especially when pressure canning, it may be released. I cannot verify this, just something I had read about them. Perhaps you will want to do some research on this.
We are also not totally sure that all air is removed from the jars, as they are tightened down after processing. This is one of our concerns about them.

o

They haven't been around/available long enough for any long term testing - maybe 3-4 years max.

I bought a dozen to test when they first cam out and have used that same dozen off and on over the past 3 years but only on acidified foods and jams, foods where safety isn't a big issue.

They work ok but I much prefer the standard ones. Would I buy more? Probably not. BPA doesn't concern me nearly as much as the bacterial safety of my canned foods does. But as Linda Lou said, standard metal BPA free lids are available from other sources if you don't mind buying in bulk.

Dave

o

I looked at the Lehman lids, and it looks like they're the ones made by Tattler - same thing. Linda Lou, is this what you meant?

I'm happy to hear that Ball is planning to go BPA-free. How do you know? I searched and couldn't find any statement from Ball about it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lehman lids

o

Oaky, I think that I know which you meant, the bulk dome lids. No statement as to whether they contain BPA, though.

It sure would be nice if Ball would come up with a BPA free lid. I know that there are canned good makers (Eden organic) that use BPA free cans.

My understanding about the formaldehyde in Tattler is that the lid does not get hot enough to release any. Hope that's true.

o

Thank you! That is the information we need to make informed decisions.

o

My understanding about the formaldehyde in Tattler is that the lid does not get hot enough to release any.

Even when pressure canning? 240-250 degrees? Hard to believe.

A similar argument is made about the Ball lids with BPA - "your food isn't in contact with the BPA coated lid anyway".

It would seem that if we buy into one claim we might as well buy into both. **shrugs**

Dave

o

Dave, I'm not using them for pressure canning. The site makes reference to formaldehyde release above 400F or so.

It's obvious that more testing under actual canning and storage conditions needs to be done for all of our health sakes. I truly hope that Ball will replace the BPA liner with a safe alternative.In my case, shrugging just isn't an option.

o

The Lehmans website does not specifically state their bulk dome lids are BPA free, and I would think they would say if they were. I have sent them a message earlier this week asking if they are BPA free, and I will post here if I hear back.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here