Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fermenting mold

Posted by ashley12106 none (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 7:59

I have been soaking a 5 gal bucket of cucumbers in salt water. I didn't realize I needed to put something heavy on the cucumbers to push them down and make sure they were covered completely with water. (I know, should be common sense). So now the cucumbers that are one top and are exposed to air have white mold growing on them, are soft and slimy.
Do I have to throw out the whole batch?
What should I use to keep them underwater?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fermenting mold

Personally I would discard them all. Some people might remove the spoiled top layer and then continue fermentation if they find the cucumbers below are firm and smell good, but that's up to you.

I think my main concern is what set of instructions you're following because weighting the cucumbers is so elemental it's possible there are other problems as well, like too weak a brine, too warm a temperature, any number of other issues that can affect product quality and safety.

To answer your other question, you want to keep air out, and one of the best ways to do that is to fill a food-safe plastic bag with additional brine and place it on top. A bag is flexible and with the brine is heavy enough to fill all the spaces and hold the cucumbers down. Also, if the bag should happen to leak, all you're adding is additional brine, so you're not diluting the solution.

I use a right-sized plate and put the brine bag on top of that but a bag alone should be sufficient. All Ziploc bags, even the garment storage bags are food-safe, so every possible size is available.

I've known of people to use all kinds of things, even a plate weighted with a sterilized rock. (And yes, that's OK.)

There are numerous fermentation threads on this forum with all kinds of advice and links to reliable online sources, so when you have a little time you might want to peruse some of them.

Carol

o

Thank you. It is a family recipe, but the family that cans lives 1500 miles away so I am learning on my own. You are right in that my error was elemental and that's the reason why it wasn't on the recipe. As everyone else that my grandmother gives this recipe to probably knows better, and she just didn't mention it to me. Thanks again for your help.
Ashley

o

Soft and slimy means spoiled. You need to throw it all out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here