Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to freeze swiss chard?

Posted by michelelc 6B, MA (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 1, 12 at 8:08

I'm looking for some good tips for freezing swiss chard. Last year I froze some kale. I sauted it with olive oil and garlic then just froze it in small packages. Would this work for swiss chard, also?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to freeze swiss chard?

Just like spinach or any other leafy green. Instructions linked below. Personally I wouldn't include olive oil since it cuts storage life and separates. Add it after opening prior to serving.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Freezing Spinach/Leafy Greens

o

Ok, it says leave 1/2 inch headspace, what are we freezing it in? bags or jars? I know it may sound stupid, but I would like the right way (or better ) wouldnt want to do bags if containers are better, and vice versa.

o

wouldnt want to do bags if containers are better, and vice versa.

I think that is a personal preference. Some prefer ziplock bags, some use vacuum seal bags (I do), some use the hard plastic freezer containers, some use jars. The headspace guide applies to to the formed, hard containers.

IMO vacuum sealing gives you the longest storage time and the least freezer burn.

Dave

o

I've got a lot of chard in the garden (kale too). I thought you ate the chard stems - would you really strip them like spinach before blanching?

michele - did you strip the kale leaves? How big were they?

o

Yes chard stems are usually stripped or cut out of the leaf and cooked separately since they are so fibrous they require a much longer cooking time than the rest of the leaf. They are often served like asparagus.

Dave

o

Thanks Dave - the Bright Lights chard is so pretty I'd hate to throw away the stems unless they were so tough as to be inedible. So I should look for blanching time for asparagus and freeze the stems separately? I admit I like things practically raw.

Kale stems aren't quite so big - so OK to leave them together with the leaves?

o

I cut the stems off of the leaves for the chard, and I blanched them for 3 mins instead of 2 mins. I packaged them in separate zip loc bags. I thought I could use it for a nice crunch in stir fries or soups.
As for Kale, I think I cut the stem out of them, too. Honestly I don't remember, but I didn't blanch them, I cooked them down in a frying pan with olive oil and some garlic, last year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here