Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bejay9_10

Drying grapes for raisins

bejay9_10
10 years ago

My Thompson grapes gave me a goodly supply of nice fruit this year - 3rd yr plantings. The warmer weather was just what the doctor ordered.

I've managed to save the bunches from squirrels and Japanese beetles so far - hanging mylar balloons near them - so far, so good.

They are still a bit tart - but I'm a bit worried that the critters might decide not to wait until they are completely ripe and scarf them up.

I'm wondering if they might be even better dried now - still a bit tart and unripe or would it be better to wait and risk losing them altogether?

bejay

Comments (7)

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

The only grapes I deal with are Concord, and those are best AFTER a frost, which we shouldn't have for a couple of months. Professionally dried fruits are loaded with sugar, so they could be using some really tart without us knowing.

Can you add some with other fruits to make jelly/jams? It would be better than loosing them totally.

• bejay9_10
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's a thought - making jam. Also, I can add some - after drying - to some apple wine that I'm brewing. It calls for the addition of chopped golden raisins - possibly for taste - not sure as this is my first try at making apple wine.

Fun. Tku for the suggestion.

Are Thompson grapes after drying - known as Sultans?

bejay

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

don't know, I'd research it online to see what variety is used to make the sultan raisins.

enjoy your grapes, I don't have any and have to buy each time.

• NilaJones
    10 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear about your critters!

I have dried grapes by laying them out on a sheet in the sun, but the racoons thought it was a picnic for them.

Then I discovered that if I leave them on the vine they will dry and make raisins there. Under a roof, I have them all winter.

In a couple of years, your vine will be big enough (if you have the space) to feed all the critters in the neighborhood AND you and all your friends. In the meantime, the jam idea sounds good to me. My sis also makes a grape pie.

• bejay9_10
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I finally decided to try a bunch - drying them in a 170 degree oven with the door slightly open to let out moisture. It took a couple of days, but worked OK. They were a bit sour - but after drying, I put them in a canning jar, sprinkled sugar on them and put them in the freezer. The sugar really helped make them more palatable.

Now I know the meaning of the words "sour grapes" - because they really were. I think they will be fine added to some baked goods - such as zucchini bread.

As long as the mylar balloons were still scaring off the squirrels, I left the other bunches on the vine.

You are so right about the grape productivity. It really took off this year, and the vines are all over the arbor. I pruned it drastically - so I thought. Looking forward to future years and, hopefully, lots of nice pickings.

A 2nd vine - a Chardonnay type - is just now starting to produce, and if I can somehow keep the summer fogs from harming it - should be seeing some nice fruitings there as well.

Appreciate the encouragements.

bejay

• NilaJones
    10 years ago

The sour raisins also make a great substitute for barberries or cranberries in recipes :).

I prune mine back to 6-10 inch stubs off the main trunks after the leaves fall, and then I go in and whack of excessive leafy growth whenever it gets in my way - maybe once a month in summer. In the early summer, when the leaves are tender, I freeze them for dolmas and such :).

Also, if you get any powdery mildew, you can do some more spring/early summer pruning for air circulation and light.

Oh, and my dad sprays his peaches with cayenne to keep the squirrels out of them. You could try that, though you may end up with some spicy grapes :).

Good luck!

• bejay9_10
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not familiar with "dolmas" - are they like stuffed grape leaves? Sounds interesting. From time-to-time the grape leaf ideas pop up but heretofore, without grape growing - this was mystery.

I went out and cut back a lot of leaf overgrowth - as you suggested, and exposed the grapes somewhat. We are now entering into our summer gloom period here - and it is so frustrating to see summer veggies and fruits just sit still -until the warmer weather returns. Still have those grapes, peppers and maybe tomatoes to ripen.

Have never tried the cayenne recipe yet, but this year, the mylar balloons did a good job. They need to be hung just prior to ripening fruit - so the squirrels don't get too used to them. We harvested most everything - except almonds and a peach that was way in the back.

Also, a new cat addition may have helped as well.

Powdery mildew is a problem - try not to do too much watering when humidity is high -

Would like to know a bit about those "dolmas."

bejay