Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flora_uk

The Great Trans -Atlantic Zucchini Bread Challenge

flora_uk
14 years ago

Ok folks. I have grown courgettes (zucchini) for years but until I came to these forums I had never heard of zucchini bread. So here's the challenge. Which of you can:

1. Persuade me to make this stuff

2. Provide the tastiest, simplest recipe for a lazy cook with no food processor

3. Tell me how best to eat it when I've made it

Sorry no prizes. But I'd love to be able to ship a few pounds of red currants to the winner. I have 5 bushes and have been picking for 8 weeks now. They just won't stop!

Comments (27)

• junelynn
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

OK, here's my favorite and friends love, love, LOVE it!

From Southern Living (1982 or somewhere in the early 80's)

Zucchini Bread

3 cups all purpose flour
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. salt
    1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
    3 eggs
    2 cups white sugar
    1 cup vegetable oil (I use cold-pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil these days. I buy it at Sam's Club 3 liters. You can NOT taste the olive oil in the bread)
    2 tsp. vanilla extract
    2 cups shredded zucchini
    1 cup chopped pecans (sorry I can't give you pecans from my back yard tree I call "Grandpa" - it is a male tree. Shelled and in the freezer. The pecans really do add a lot to the bread).
    Whipped cream cheese, optional
    Chopped pecans, optional

Combine first 5 ingredients, set aside. Combine eggs, oil, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl; beat at medium speed of an electric mixer until well blended. Stir in zucchini and pecans. Add dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
    The recipe calls for spooning the batter into 1 lb. coffee cans. I don't use that. You can use it in a bread pan, or smaller loaf pans. I have 3 different sizes, so it varies. Fill to about 2/3's full. Keep an eye on smaller loaves, as they make not take as long as the recipe states.

Bake at 350 for 55 to 60 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Remove to wire rack, and cool completely. Serve with whipped cream cheese sprinkle with pecans. Yield: 3 loaves (in a can).

I love it with butter or plain. You can also toast it a day or so later and add what toping you like, if any. I've never used whipped cream cheese. I would think you could also make muffins with no problem.

• readinglady
    14 years ago

For a number of reasons, I'm not generally a fan of zucchini breads, but this recipe I baked last season may finally change my mind. It was very well-received at our house.

Chocolate Zucchini Bread

Recipe By : KathyD, King Arthur Flour Baking Circle
    Categories : Breads Quick

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1/2 cup butter -- softened
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    1 1/3 cup sugar
    2 eggs
    2 cups zucchini -- peeled, seeded (if large) and grated to equal 2 cups not including liquid but not squeezed
    1/2 cup buttermilk -- (soured, 1/2 cup milk & 1/2 tsp white vinegar)
    1 teaspoon vanilla -- (or orange extract, orange oil or grated zest)
    1 teaspoon chocolate extract
    2 1/2 cups flour -- (bleached)
    5 Tablespoons cocoa -- (including 1 tablespoon black cocoa)
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp baking powder

Topping:
    3/4 cup chocolate chips -- (mini-chips)
    3/4 cup walnuts -- (or pecans) finely chopped
    3/4 cup brown sugar

Combine the first 12 ingredients and pour into a greased and floured 9x13" pan. Sprinkle with topping.

Bake 40-45 minutes @ 350 degrees

NOTES:
    Yogurt can be substituted for the sour milk/vinegar combination. If being baked in loaf pan mix some of the struesel topping throughout the batter.

Fresh or unsweetened coconut would be a nice addition to this bread. You could put a sweetened glaze on top and mix or swirl the streusel into the batter.

NOTES : I changed the method. I creamed the butter and the sugar till fluffy. Added flavorings. I mixed the buttermilk, oil and eggs and added liquids alternately with the dry ingredients. Then I stirred in the grated zucchini.

The chocolate extract (natural chocolate) was my addition and not necessary. I also used some black cocoa which is more intense. Again, not necessary. I'm not sure either addition made that much difference. A tablespoon of strong black coffee might be nice. I'm all for anything that boosts the chocolate.

I also used the bleached flour. Again, not required.

I found the loaves (I baked two smaller loaf pans) were quite delicate. I turned out of the pan by placing a tray on top and then reversing onto a plate. Lining pans with parchment would be an alternative.

Carol

• iona46
    14 years ago

Well, you can never go wrong with Paula Deen. She adds way too much sugar or fat or both to her recipes and that is what makes them especially sinful, but as with many sins, that is why it is so good!

* 3 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    * 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    * 2 teaspoon baking soda
    * 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    * 3 cup sugar
    * 1 cup vegetable oil
    * 4 eggs, beaten
    * 1/3 cup water
    * 2 cup grated zucchini
    * 1 teaspoon lemon juice
    * 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, nutmeg, baking soda, cinnamon and sugar. In a separate bowl, combine oil, eggs, water, zucchini and lemon juice. Mix wet ingredients into dry, add nuts and fold in. Bake in 2 standard loaf pans, sprayed with nonstick spray, for 1 hour, or until a tester comes out clean. Alternately, bake in 5 mini loaf pans for about 45 minutes.

Yield: 2 loaves
    Prep time: 10 minutes
    Cook time: 1 hour
    Ease of preparation: moderately easy

• dgkritch
    14 years ago

1. It's definitely worth trying! My recipe is almost identical to the 1st one posted without the pecans. But boy does that sound good!
    2. Just use a cheese grater to shred your zucchini since you don't have a food processor. Zucchini can easily be frozen after shredding to make bread in the winter. It's pushing 100 degrees here right now and there's no way I'd turn the oven on!
    3. Eat warm, room temp or cold. All good. With or without butter, cream cheese, honey. Toasted or not. Can you tell I really like zucchini bread? My recipe makes 2 loaves (standard bread pan) and I usually double it as it freezes well.

If you've ever eaten carrot cake, you'll know how a traditional "vegetable" can be wonderful in a sweet bread.
    It makes nice gifts too.

I have a Chocolate Zucchini cake recipe too I can post if you're interested, but try the bread first...

Deanna

• flora_uk
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks very much. I like the kind of recipe that says 'combine the ingredients...'. I shy away from recipes which start with rubbing in, whipping and separating eggs etc. Did I say I was a lazy cook? Keep them coming! No time to try them out yet but my first impression is that they all seem to have a lot of sugar in them. Is that usual? I don't mind on health grounds because we're not going to be eating this stuff constantly but does it produce a very sweet result? If this is the 'bread' how much sugar is in the 'cakes'???

All purpose flour, I'm assuming is what we call plain flour ie without any raising agent added.

Thanks again, Flora

• iona46
    14 years ago

Yes, AP flour is just plain flour.

Don't be fooled by it being called bread. It is definitely a cake and yes it is sweet, but it freezes well! It is mostly like a "spice" cake, or gingerbread type cake. You would never know it has zucchini in it.

• missemerald
    14 years ago

I'm very fond of a chocolate-zucchini-cinnamon cake recipe myself (hubby doesn't think he likes zucchini and won't eat the bread but will inhale the cake). Want the recipe?

Also, if you have extra zucchini, try grating it and adding it to spaghetti sauce, chili, and meatloaf. The zucchini hating hubby eats it all the time that way (and has no idea...).

• leearnold
    14 years ago

Anyone have a recipe that DOESN'T have sugar in it? One that is savory, or perhaps has cheese? I like my zucchini bread. But something NOT SWEET would be a nice change! Thanks!

• dgkritch
    14 years ago

You could use well-drained zucchini and cheese in any favorite bread recipe.
    Or, use it as part of the filling for a calazone.
    Add to pizza as a topping, just make sure it's as dry as possible.

Make a cold pizza:
    Crescent roll crust (or your choice of homemade bread/pizza crust)
    Spread with a mayo/cream cheese mix (add fresh herbs if you like)
    Top with finely chopped veggies like cuke, zuke, pepper, onion, tomato and then some cheese.
    Serve cold.

Deanna

• annie1992
    14 years ago

flora, this is my Dad's favorite recipe, he liked the addition of pineapple. My 5 year old granddaughter heartily recommends it, although she was extremely suspicious of the "green stuff" in it. (grin) I like mine plain, with coffee or tea. My youngest daughter likes cream cheese on hers, and my oldest daughter dunks hers in egg batter and cooks it like french toast!

This recipe is very simple, dump everything in a bowl and stir, then bake. I've added coconut, chocolate chips, chopped pecans, and raisins, depending on my mood. So why bake it? Well, because you have all that zucchini, because it's great with tea, because if you add pineapple you get more vitamins and fruit and fruit is good for you and because it's simple and very forgiving. I've used brown sugar instead of white, I've added crystallized ginger, grated carrots, I've put stuff in, taken stuff out, it's always fine. Oh and it's easy enough for my Granddaughter, the Monkey Princess, to make with very little intervention from me.

Zucchini Pineapple Bread

4 eggs
    1 1/2 cups white sugar
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1 cup vegetable oil
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
    2 cups grated zucchini
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
    In a large bowl, mix oil, eggs, vanilla, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Blend in pineapple and zucchini. Stir flour mixture into zucchini mixture. Pour batter into two greased and floured 9 x 5 inch loaf pans.
    Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour. Cool on wire racks.

Now, for that savory bread, I like this one. I got it at a website called whatgeekseat.com, LOL. They aren't really geeks, though, or they'd be more exact that "one large zucchini". I use two cups, grated.

Savory zucchini bread with parmesan and onion

1 large zucchini, grated
    1 medium onion, grated
    1/2 cup grated parmesan
    1 stick butter, melted
    3 eggs
    1/4 cup of honey
    3 cups whole wheat white flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon nutmeg or 30 seconds of grating a nutmeg on a microplane
    1/3 cup milk (if necessary)

Preheat oven to 350º F. Butter a loaf pan or place parchment paper in it. Stir together the zucchini, onion, eggs, butter, and honey. Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry. Depending on the amount of juice from the zucchini and onion, you may need to add some milk to the batter if it is too thick to combine. Put the batter in the pan and bake for about 30 minutes. Test the bread with a skewer or knife to see if its done (the skewer or knife will come out clean). If not bake until it is done.

Cool in the pan for 5 minutes then on a rack for at least an hour. This bread is better if wrapped and
    refrigerated then served the next day. Perfect for toast.

I like these zucchini pancakes, almost like a crepe, the recipe was posted on the Cooking Forum by Sol, who filled them with a crabmeat stuffing. I like them just plain, as a side dish.

Thin Zucchini Pancakes

2 cups grated zucchini
    3 eggs, lightly beaten
    3 tablespoons melted butter (more for greasing the pan)
    3/4 cup AP flour
    1 1/2 tablespoons water
    1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
    Black Pepper & Salt to taste *
    1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg

Serve with:

6 1/2 ounces double cream Brie
    roasted tomatoes
    2 tablespoons chopped chives

Preheat a frying pan over medium heat. Combine all pancake ingredients in a bowl, except for the water. Mix until smooth, then add enough water to make a rather thin batter (you shouldn't need more than 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons water). Mix until just combined. For 6-inch pancakes, add about 1/3 cup of batter to greased pan and cook 1-2 minutes per side.

Serve with double cream Brie, or your favorite melting cheese (Gruyere or Fontina would also be nice), roasted tomatoes and chives.

*I add 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt, and find it salty enough for me, but adjust to your taste.

Annie

• kirchren
    14 years ago

Best zucchini bread I have ever had- recipe from LAUJRA at allrecipes.com. This is FANTASTIC! Well worth the 5 minutes it takes to shred the zucchini by hand on a shredder.

Blueberry Zucchini (Courgettes) Bread
    3 eggs, lightly beaten
    1 cup vegetable oil
    3 teaspoons vanilla extract
    2 1/4 cups white sugar
    2 cups shredded zucchini
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
    1 pint fresh blueberries

..DIRECTIONS
    1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease 4 mini-loaf pans.
    2.In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar. Fold in the zucchini. Beat in the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Gently fold in the blueberries. Transfer to the prepared mini-loaf pans.
    3.Bake 50 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted in the center of a loaf comes out clean. Cool 20 minutes in pans, then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.

• flora_uk
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Many thanks for all the suggestions Harvesters. It looks as if I will have quite a bit of experimenting to do. I particularly like the idea of a savoury cheese and onion bread. We are having incredibly wet weather at the moment which means I haven't been down to the allotment for a few days. Goodness knows how huge the zucchini will be when I finally get there. Meanwhile I used up the last of the ones I had at home on stuffed marrow last night so none available for bread at the moment. The variety I grow is 'Jemmer' which is yellow so the 'green bits' are not a problem. I highly recommend yellow zucchini as they are easier to spot under the foliage and you don't miss them and find monsters later on. Anyway my family is well used to eating what is put in front of them and enjoying it ... or else. Although my son did moan ever so slighltly when he found diced swede (rutabaga) in his lasagne. It is a bit of a family joke to work out what Mum has put in the meal this time. But I can't bear to waste food.

• lynnem
    14 years ago

My friend brought me half of this cake, it was fantastic!

Zucchini Cake
    Servings: 12

"Very moist cake, similar to carrot cake."
    Ingredients:
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    3 cups white sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    4 eggs
    1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
    3 cups grated zucchini
    1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
    1/2 cup butter
    2 cups confectioners' sugar
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease and flour three 9 inch round cake pans.
    2. In a medium size bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, white sugar, and salt. Mix well.
    3. In another bowl beat eggs, vegetable oil, and 1 teaspoon vanilla together. Pour into egg mixture into the flour mixture and mix well. Stir in the shredded zucchini. Pour batter into prepared pans.
    4. Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 25 minutes. Allow cakes to cool in pans. Stack and frost into a 3 layer cake using Cream Cheese Frosting.
    5. To Make Frosting: Cream together the cream cheese, butter or margarine. Add the confectioner's sugar, a little at a time. Add 2 teaspoons vanilla and mix well. Spread on cool cake layers.
    (From ALLRECIPES)

• mrsdymacek
    14 years ago

I have JuneLynn's recipe except I omit the nuts. I also make it in a Bundt pan and top it w/ cream cheese icing! It is the best summer-into-fall cake ever. The cake/bread freezes beautifully sans icing and then when a baby is born or someone passes away, out of the freezer, cream cheese icing on top, and voila! Zucchini perfection. Enjoy!

(now I will have to go home and make some...)

• heather38
    14 years ago

my neighbour discribed it as being a bit like banana or carrot cake, not made yet as had only 3 zukes this year!

• junelynn
    14 years ago

Thanks Lynnem for the cake recipe! One can get tired of zucchini bread. The cake recipe sounds wonderful!

• busylizzy
    14 years ago

Ok, here is my Zuke Bread recipe

3 Eggs, beaten
    1 Cup Veg Oil
    2 Cups Honey (I use orange blossom)
    3 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
    1 tsp. Salt
    1 tsp Baking Soda
    1 tsp Baking Powder
    3 tsp.Cinnamon
    Dash Nutmeg
    3 tsp. Vanilla
    2 Cups grated zucchini
    1 Cup Chopped Nuts, either walnut or pecan

Beat Eggs, blend oil and honey. Sift together dry ingriedients and blend into egg mixture. Add Vanilla. Fold in Nuts and Zucchini. Bake in 2 greased and floured 9x5 loaf pans for 45 mins to 1 hour.

You may also use this for mini loaf pans, makes apporx 12 mini zuke bread. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees for the mini pans

• makete
    14 years ago

How many "clips" can a person save? You people are driving me crazy with all these excellent sounding recipes! Especially the one by Kirchren with the blueberrys which we will be picking soon. Now I gotta go find something to munch on.....Thanks.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

makete, I'm saving this thread too, lots of good ideas here and ways that I can convince the grandkids to eat zucchini, in spite of their suspicion of the "little green stuff" in the muffins/cake/bread. (grin)

busylizzy, I have several diabetics in the family, I'm going to try yours with the whole wheat and sub some artificial sweetener for part of the honey. Thanks.

Annie

• busylizzy
    14 years ago

Annie, I don't have diabetics in the house anymore, so I don't recall the substitutions. Wonder how applesauce would work.
    I just may try it, cause I have squash out the ears! Picking 1/2 a doz a day now. Good thing we love patty pan squash pickles!

• bustergordon
    14 years ago

I tried making zucchini bread, but my bread was a big mushy mess. None of these recipes call for squeezing the liquid out of the zucchini (and the recipe I used didn't either), so I didn't, but I'm wondering if I need to?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• busylizzy
    14 years ago

I drain mine after shredding.

oh Flora, what is a Garbanzo or Chick Pea called over there?
    My friend and I were on the phone and I was teasing him about taking him on an American Vegetable tour when he comes in September. Apparently some veggies are named differently over there.

• cabrita
    14 years ago

That's right, they have aubergines and courgettes....

• junelynn
    14 years ago

I just found this snooping on the internet.
    Dark Chocolate Zucchini Cake! Ohh...La...La!!!
    Can you say "YUMMY!" It sure looks good!!!
    I'm so glad I have may ziploc packs of "2 cups shredded zucchini" frozen....

• connie77
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the great recipes. My son is a chef and had asked me for "Grandpa Zucchini Bread Recipe", which we can't find. I think is was just in is head and never written down. So I am going to share these recipes with him and let him see what he likes best, or if he makes up a new one of his own I will post it.

• busylizzy
    14 years ago

Connie, let your son know, if the kitchen has one of the professional 12 mini loaf baking pans. The recipe I posted with make the 12 minis. That's what I use, excellent for a 4 person meal presentation.

• heather38
    14 years ago

oh Flora, what is a Garbanzo or Chick Pea called over there?
    My friend and I were on the phone and I was teasing him about taking him on an American Vegetable tour when he comes in September. Apparently some veggies are named differently over there.
    Chick Pea is Chick pea
    That's right, they have aubergines and courgettes....
    egg plant and zuke
    I remember being in a supermarket in the UK with an American med student and ozzie Physical therapist, and a huge but good natured debate that went on for hours, well into pub time! alcohol help but basically our dispute was courgette in UK, Zuke in USA (can't even spell it) and baby marrow in OZ!
    American miss out on the greatest of UK fav veg Runner beans which I assumed moving here last year, was a Europian veg, looked it up and found it was native of New England where I am living! the scarlet runner is old fashioned, furry and get tough and stringy quickly, I like polestar smooth not stringy or tough until very old, prolific, and I shudder to tell you where you can get them, incase I can't buy any next year!
    also people in the know in the UK call broccoli calabrese, but broccoli that is so amazing it ranks with asparagus is purple sprouting broccoli !
    I will share but trust me I will be upset if I can't get any, Thompson and Morgan, sold out at the mo on PSB.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz