Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellen_inmo

Whole kernel pressure canned resembles creamed canned, but....

ellen_inmo
10 years ago

In my second year of pressure canning, I did two batches of corn, the first being creamed, the second being whole kernel. I'm proud to report that I am experiencing no liquid loss this year, this far! My question about the whole kernel corn: It seems that the finished product looks very similar to the creamed corn, lots of floating specs of corn. I follow the Ball Blue Book for instruction, and the processing time for whole kernel is 55 minutes for pints and 1 hour 25 minutes for creamed. This alarms me, as my whole kernel was processed at 55 minutes. Is my whole kernel finished product under processed? Did I not cut the corn off well enough and the kernels are now more "creamed like"? I followed all instruction perfectly. I'm just checking to see if I should be concerned, given the differences in time between the two. Did my kernels simply collapse? Why does creamed corn take so much longer than whole kernel?

Thanks to all responses in advance. I did a search for this question, perhaps it's been asked before and someone has the link? Appreciate ya.

Comments (25)

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Creamed corn is denser, so that's why the longer processing time.

If the corn isn't cut very very close to the cob, then you will have creamed corn of some type. Creamed corn is made when you cut the corn of the cob at some distance from the cob, then scrape the cob getting more cream from the remaining part of the kernals.

tip, corn does darken the longer the jar sits, whether in the dark or not. The corn is still good, just not as appetizing. I throw the darken kernels out and eat the rest.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I don't use anything but salt in my corn.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Agree. The difference in processing times is because creamed is much thicker (more dense), contains much higher levels of starch, has a potential for a higher bacterial counts, and the processing is part of what makes it 'creamed' too.

The difference between creamed and whole is all in how it is cut from the cob. One deep cut pass gets whole, one shallow cut plus a second scrape cut gets creamed. The sharpness of the blade used can make a big difference in the final appearance.

Dave

• ellen_inmo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone. So, if the corn that I processed as kernel, and did not scrape the cob but its still showing small particles of corn, has it been processed correctly? These pint jars were finished processed at 11 p.m. last night. It's 9:30 a.m. now. Do you have a safety precaution for me?

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Probably since you didn't scrape the cobs and assuming you will cook it well before eating it anyway. Can't really say for sure without seeing it.

Compare it to the cream jars you did. Is it quite a bit thinner consistency than the cream?

Ultimately it will be your choice. If you aren't comfortable with it just freeze it. I wouldn't reprocess it or you'll really have mush.

Dave

PS: for future reference, what are you using to cut it off the cob?

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I didn't scrape the cob either, and I would call mine a mix between creamed and whole kernal. Works for us, since I used to mix 1 can creamed with 1 can of whole kernel. Sometimes add a beaten egg and crackers for 'scallopped corn'.

We just use a knife, we've tried the 'corn cutter', but it didn't work as well. I have heard to use a can with a sharpened edge, but since hubby does the prepping and he likes the knife, that's what we used.

• ellen_inmo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the response. Yes, mine also looks like a cross between cream and regular. There is no smooth, creaminess, just kernels and little "flecks" here and there. I, also, am not successful using the cob cutter thing. I can't get a good grip with a paring knife. What worked well for me is a serrated steak knife. Worked fabulously. I ended up with what looked like a bowl of even size kernels. It was after processing that the little flecks showed up.

Dave, you recommend a trick or tool for cutting corn?

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Not a corn cutter that's for sure. That's why I asked.

A really, really sharp butcher knife as the longer knife gives you better leverage thatn a short knife does.

Plus a tip - from Carol I think - a bunt cake or angel food cake pan. Set it in the sink so it sits lower than the counter top for best leverage, stick the pointed end of the ear in the hole in the center and slice the corn off using enough pressure so that the knife slides right along the cob itself. it all falls right into the pan.

Dave

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

good tip, but I've never got a bundt or angel food cake pan, plus he sits at a table. He cuts the corn while holding it in a large glass baking pan. Corn gluten is very sticky, tho.

The gluten is the inside of the kernel, if you didn't realize it.

• ellen_inmo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Dave. I will try using the very sharp knife. I guess I was afraid of using such a large knife, without using a small one close to the cob, that I would not cut close enough and end up cutting too closely to the kernel tips. There is a big difference between my creamed corn and the kernel corn, I noticed the difference when I got home this evening. Turning the jars upside down, the kernels are watery and the creamed is thick. However, the creamed doesn't resemble store bought creamed corn, which is fine with me because I used to always freeze creamed corn anyway and the flavor of home grown corn outbeats anything you can buy in a can. When I go to cook this, do you have a recommendation for "thickening up" the cream corn? I'm learning dehydrating this summer (got an Excalibur for Mothers Day) so if there's a natural product that's been dehydrated and ground into a powder form, that would be even better!

As always, appreciate ya here Dave. Very comforting to know you are here.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I add finely crushed crackers to creamed corn that is too thin for my liking. The cracker will take up the corn taste.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

IME just the cooking thickens it up enough but if you not, you can always add just a bit of any thickener. Crackers as mentioned. Cornstarch would be perfect. Flour would work too but don't know how it would affect the taste. Some have mentioned using Clear Jel - if you have it - in the past. But it's just like making gravy, it doesn't take much no matter which you use.

Dave

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

The main reason I use crackers, is because I always have them. I don't use cornstarch enough to keep on shelf. Crackers are our snack food, or backup for bread for mini sandwiches.

• ellen_inmo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, crackers?! Who knew? Absolutely makes sense. I was also thinking corn starch, just enough to thicken. I, also, am perfectly fine with a thinner cream corn, but gotta keep the kids happy. ;-)

• dgkritch
    10 years ago

Cutting corn off the cob is one of the few really great uses for an electric knife.
    I have done the angel/bundt cake pan, but I really prefer to put a cutting board in/on a cookie sheet and just go for it.
    I tend to hit the bundt pan with knife on occasion and I don't want metal shavings in my corn! Once you use the electric knife a few times, you can "feel" the cob and get pretty darned close.

I am not a fan of canned corn and always freeze mine, but the cutting is the same.

Deanna

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Ok, does someone has the answer to this question? What do I need to do the keep the top of the corn from darkening.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

That above the water you mean? Looser packing so more water. We all tend to way over-pack corn and those kernels suck it up like crazy. Every year I have to remind myself to put less corn and more water in the jar and I still always have a couple that I over pack and so are exposed..

If you mean the whole jar darkening as corn is prone to do - Fruit Fresh.

Dave

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Just the top, I did realize that I 'shook' it down, need to remember NOT to do that. I wondered if Fruit fresh would help.

We're shucking corn right now, and thought it might be nice to have the entire jar look nice. Only 15 dozen this time.

thanks, I was sure someone had the answer.

Marla

• Christina818
    10 years ago

Great information! I canned corn last year and I had packed the jars so the corn went above the water after processing. I didn't know thats what caused it. It did darken as well. Dave you mentioned using fruit fresh. Do you put this in each jar? Can you taste it after cooking? Thanks for the help.
    ~Tina~

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Tina, I just processed some jars of corn (1/2 are still in canner), I added 1/4 tsp of fruit fresh to each jar, along with 1/4 tsp of salt, then added the boiling water. I'll report back after a few days as far as the darkening. At this point, no darkening, but jars are just cool to touch.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Dave you mentioned using fruit fresh. Do you put this in each jar?

You can - I use 1/2 tsp. per pint, 1 tsp per quart. Label calls for 1/2 tsp. per cup but I don't use that much.

Or you can dissolve it in the boiling water before filling the jars. Either way works.

I don't note any taste from it but it normally gets used on so many things we can that I may just be used to it. Haven't you ever used it on fruit? It is just ascorbic acid and is naturally found in all sorts of foods.

Dave

• Christina818
    10 years ago

Thank you!
    Dave I have used it on fruit and to me it had a little bit of a lemon taste. Didn't change the taste any in fruit but I just wondered if it did with corn. I will give this a try this year.
    I will be watching for your up date myfamilysfarm. I just dumped out my last four jars from last year simply because of the color change. Saved one jar for my husband because he doesn't mind the little bit of color change. In a few weeks we should have corn. I am planning to can more corn this year. We have about 1200 stalks at varying ages of maturity.

This thread has been very helpful. Thank you all for the help.
    ~Tina

• Christina818
    10 years ago

Thank you!
    Dave I have used it on fruit and to me it had a little bit of a lemon taste. Didn't change the taste any in fruit but I just wondered if it did with corn. I will give this a try this year.
    I will be watching for your up date myfamilysfarm. I just dumped out my last four jars from last year simply because of the color change. Saved one jar for my husband because he doesn't mind the little bit of color change. In a few weeks we should have corn. I am planning to can more corn this year. We have about 1200 stalks at varying ages of maturity.

This thread has been very helpful. Thank you all for the help.
    ~Tina

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

We just throw the top darkened kernels away, but there isn't that many.

This time I didn't try to shake down any jars, that was hard NOT to do, so I won't be sure if the fruit fresh is the solution or the NOT overfilling. It did seem to be a waste of jar space.

From one book we have, it says that the supersweet varieties will darken easier than others. I'm using Serendipity which is my favorite bi-color. From a farmer that grows really good corn.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Dave, my jar of FruitFresh (purchased a month ago) says to use 1/4 tsp per pint, instead of 1/2 tsp. So I might not get the 'lemon' taste.

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone