Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vschlaff

Pressure canning tomatoes and applesauce

vschlaff
9 years ago

Hi Everyone, I have just purchased an all american canner and I would like to do tomatoes, salsa, and applesauce. I can do 14 pints in each bath therefore I would rather pressure can than water bath. I have skimmed through my ball canning book and I can not seem to find info for pressure canning these items. Can you please tell me what pressure I would use for below 1000ft sea level and for how long to cook pint size jars?

Thank you,
Ginny

Comments (6)

• matthias_lang
    9 years ago

I encourage you to use the index, find the recipes and read the carefully, rather than just skimming.

According to Ball:

tomatoes, halves, whole, or quarters in water 10 min at 10 pounds
    tomatoes, halves, whole, or quarters in own juice 25 min, 10 pounds

Recipes in Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving for both applesauce and salsa call for boiling water bath.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

According to the Ball Complete book, tomatoes packed in water, 10 min @ 10psig, crushed tomatoes 15 min, basic tomato sauce (no added low-acid veggies, dried herbs added to jars only) 15 min as well. Follow acidification instructions 2 Tbsp lemon juice or 1/2 tsp citric acid per quart. Times above the same for pints and quarts.

NCHFP gives a couple of options for different pressures - here's their Tomato page - just look at the recipe you're interested in for both water bath and PC instructions.

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can3_tomato.html

Applesauce - pints 8 min, quarts 10 min at 5psig using weights, 6 psig on dial

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_02/applesauce.html

I don't know of any PC salsa recipes - I think the texture would really suffer so always acidify sufficiently to BWB - there are links to salsa recipes on the Tomato page at NCHFP. Choice Salsa is pretty flexible to adjust to your taste.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

The info is all available online at NCHFP, the recognized authority in home food preservation. But if your Ball Blue Book does not also contain that information then it is likely that you have an old, out-dated version of the book and need to invest in a new one.

Do keep in mind that some foods do not require, nor do they hold up to pressure canning.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP

• vschlaff
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone for your information. I will purchase a new book, read further.

Ginny

• pqtex
    9 years ago

My suggestion is to simply use your all American canner to boiling water bath them. I don't have a rack that fits any of my large stock pots to use for BWB, so I use my pressure canner. Just sit the lid on top, don't fasten it down. I'm on the lookout for a glass top lid so I can keep an eye on the boiling water and water level, but there is no reason you can't use the pressure canner for BWB.

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

One thing to keep in mind is that pressure canning will not necessarily save you time. The processing times may be shorter than the BWB processing times. BUT with PC'ing, you need to bring up to steam, vent for 10 minutes, bring the canner up to pressure, process, bring the canner pressure down, wait 10 minutes, etc. All this easily adds about an hour to your processing time.