Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scott123456_gw

A newbie's new canner

scott123456
9 years ago

My mother inlaw is moving and gave me this canner. I attempted a batch of pickled peppers and ran Into a few problems. First, I was unable to get a rolling boil. Every time it started to boil it would overflow between pots. Is there a secret to accomplishing this? Next, there was some type of, what I imagine is, metal film left on the outside of the jars. Is this normal? If not how do I avoid this? If it's on the outside I imagine it is on the inside as well.

Thank you,
Scott

This post was edited by scott123456 on Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 9:08

Comments (11)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Scott that looks like two separate pots not a canner. Or possibly one pot with a steamer insert?

The bottom pot and the lid can be used separately as a boiling water bath canner for some foods - no vegetables - if it is deep enough to hold enough water to cover the size jars you used with 1-2" of water. They are not used together for canning. You would also need some sort of rack or support in the bottom for the jars to sit on.

If the top is indeed what is called a steamer inset - a pot with lots of holes in the bottom, then it is used for cooking and food preparation, not canning.

The film coating is from minerals in the water and only on the outside of the jars (nothing gets inside the jar). You eliminate it by adding a small amount of vinegar to the boiling water.

Dave

edited to add you will need a jar lifter to remove the jars as they have to be completely submerged in boiling water

Here is a link that might be useful: How to use a Boiling Water Canner

This post was edited by digdirt on Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 9:50

• scott123456
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Dave I believe it is a steamer insert then. I know she used it to BWB jelly. I figured she used the insert as a make shift rack but I have never seen her do it, so I am not sure. I have a ball canning tool kit . Why do you say no veggies?

Thanks again for all the help,
    Scott

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

Canning vegetables in a BWB isn't safe because they are low acid and there is a risk of botulism. If you pickle the vegetables using an approved recipe you're fine.

Rodney

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

I know she used it to BWB jelly.

She might have been able to get by with that on small jelly jars although technically it still wouldn't be safe to do. As you have discovered it would be difficult if not impossible to get larger jars fully submerged and/or get the full roiling boil needed.

Only high acid foods can be BWB canned - jams/jellies, most but not all fruits, and high acid pickled products. Everything else requires pressure canning.

Dave

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

If you can put a flat rack or basket in the bottom it's plenty tall enough. It's the steamer insert that doesn't go to the bottom that keeps you from getting jars submerged.

• scott123456
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again. Hmmm I didn't know peppers couldn't be BWB, nearly all the recipes I found online call for it. I guess it's time to start shopping for a pressure canner. You thought I was confused before, this could get interesting. Haha

Thanks,
    Scott

• malna
    9 years ago

Scott,
    Pickled peppers are fine! It's plain peppers (I roast some and can them like the ones you get in the "can" at the grocery store) that need a pressure canner.

You have all the equipment you need for BWBing your pickled peppers (well, maybe a rack at the bottom or some other minor items).

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Pickled peppers can be done in a BWB. When not pickled in a safe amount of vinegar (brine must be at least 50% of 5% vinegar in most cases) they require pressure canning.

You might want to spend some time reading at NCHFP as they are the foundation research for all the canning guidelines.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP

• scott123456
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry Rodney, I missed your post earlier. I will definitely do some reading on that website. Is there a specific book you would recommend? Right now I only plan on doing pickled peppers and pepper jam, but if it is anything like my other hobbies, I will be full steam ahead in no time. I think it's really interesting, really cool, and I definitely do not want to make anyone sick! I would still like to learn about it even if I never do it.

Thank you all so much again,
    Scott

• luvncannin
    9 years ago

It is the best addiction I ever had LOL
    kim

• drmbear Cherry
    9 years ago

It's worth having a Ball Blue Book - good basics.