Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questions on preserving nectarines

Posted by sqftgarden_in_wnc 7a (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 10, 08 at 9:09

I am very new to preserving and canning. I have no idea what to do with about 4-5 lbs of fresh nectarines that I got at our tailgate market. Can any of the following be done with them and how:
freezing
preserves
jam or jelly
canning
some sort of relish or butter
Any help is greatly appreciated. I was hoping to do something with them by today. I don't want them to go bad or get over ripe.
Thanks,
Tonya

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Questions on preserving nectarines

Try this link for all of the options you listed!!

You can also search the Harvest Forum for recipes and discussions previously posted.

Good luck.......and lucky you!!

Deanna

Here is a link that might be useful: National Center for Home Food Preservation

o

For nectarines, apricots, apples and peaches. ANY canning or freezing requires the use of ASCORBIC ACID to keep them from turning an unpleasant brown color. Without it in the juice liquid, jelly, or syrup, you get quick oxidation. Nectarines go well with pluots, peaches, and plums. A nice preserve can also be made with them alone or mixed. Remove the skins by a dip in boiling water and a quick cool down. They are not as good if skins and stones are left on. Freezing prepped slices is OK too, but you still need the ascorbic acid (NOT CITRIC!) dip in a strong solution, to keep the color fresh looking.

o

A nectarine is just a fuzzless peach, so any peach recipe you like will work for nectarines.

Carol

o

Actually, I always thought its a cross of a peach and an apple somewhere out there, but now know thats wrong. I always though it was closer to a peach and plum, but there again, plumcots, and pluots are those areas. I tried growing nectarines and once the tree had fruits, they all got spotted and dropped off. Dug it up 3 years later, after wasting far too much money on sprays. The two, or even plum, pluot, plumcots, and apricots all together make for a spectacular tatse.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nectarine tree info..

o

Yes, Nectarines are essentially a "sport" or mutation.

However, I think it's interesting that the flavor and texture of ripe nectarines are slightly different from that of peaches, so it isn't just the fuzz factor that's altered.

Carol

o

I can personally vouch for strawberry/nectarine jam - it was a delicious combination. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here