Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Frozen corn on the cob

2ajsmama
9 years ago

I followed NCHFP instructions for blanching and freezing, but they don't say how to cook or warm for eating! I've tried microwave 5 minutes (cold), then tried steaming the frozen ears in electric pressure cooker for 5 minutes, some spots were warm but others cold (DS said he actually found it refreshing). I don't want to overcook them and have rubbery corn - so what do you do with these?

Comments (8)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

It is subjective depending on level of crispness you want so you have to taste test until you get it just like you want. Not everyone wants their corn done to the same level so no set time is possible.

Boiling. Do not thaw before cooking. Corn in pot, fill with cool water, turn stove to high until water is boiling, reduce heat to medium and boil for 5 to 10 minutes (varies depending on size of ears and we prefer softer so do 10 min), turn off heat, remove from pot when ready to serve.

Microwave - we wrap each frozen ear in a wet paper towel, put on microwave safe plate, cook on high for 5 min depending on size of ear. Taste test and then cook for addition 2-5 mins if necessary. Times vary by size of ears, number of ears, power of microwave, and degree of doneness you want. In our MW we do 2 ears for 8 min.

Dave

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks - I knew MW would require fine tuning (and I'm looking for a new MW) but the boiling instructions help. We do 4-6 ears at a time (not in the MW, they won't fit but that's when we cook fresh). I tried 3 ears in the PC on steam setting - that was better but given cold spots it looks like they needed to be turned - and for the time it took to build up steam, it would be easier to boil.

We do like them crisp but usually warm - though DS may change his mind, he said he would probably even drink cold corn juice, found it very refreshing! (anybody have a recipe LOL - like creamed corn?)

• ryseryse_2004
    9 years ago

The perfect frozen corn on the cob is so easy and tastes just like fresh! Just freeze the corn without husking it at all and certainly don't blanch it. I trim the bottom so I can get four ears in a gallon zip lock bag. When taken out of the freezer, soak for a hour or so in cold water so it thaws without losing moisture. Then either put directly on the grill or husk it and boil it briefly.

Please don't tell me this doesn't work. Try it. It does. We have plenty of freezer space (four freezers) so space isn't a problem for us. We have fresh (frozen) corn year round.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    9 years ago

My late mother in law in texas would deep fry them. They sink, and rise to the top when done. Yum!

• malna
    9 years ago

We do basically the same as RyseRyse. We don't husk it. Trim the bottom and the top if it needs it, soak in salted water, brush the outside of the husk with a bit of butter, and wrap tightly in aluminum foil. Vacuum seal and freeze. We always grill ours to cook them. Just ate the last two ears yesterday from last summer. Yum - we timed that pretty well, it's corn season again.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

By "trim" do you mean you cut with a knife so the kernels show, or just cut/break off the sharp stem (I do that in the store so they don't rip the bag)?

I don't have all that much room, but would like to freeze some later this year if I find a good price like I did last month.

• malna
    9 years ago

This is how we trim it.

• ryseryse_2004
    9 years ago

I just cut the stem off. I don't cut so far that any of the kernels show. Just enough to fit in the zip-lock. That way, it is sort of double-bagged even though you are only using one zip-lock and not wrapping the ear. (it is already naturally wrapped!)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio