Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
billinpa

squash

billinpa
15 years ago

What if anything can you do with a bumper crop of squash. We have been eating it 4-5 times a week for the past month. I have kept everyone I know in supply. yeah I went a little overboard with the squash plants. Anyone have anything creative to do with it? freezing is not an option. Quality is terrible when thawed.

Comments (11)

• zabby17
    15 years ago

billinpa,

I have this squash inundation situation for a month or so every summer. Most amusing was last summer, when I DIDN"T EVEN PLANT ANY SQUASH and was STILL overloaded with it (from two volunteer plants).

My solution is to eat as many as possible when still small and tender, and the rest I shred and bake into zucchini bread. I make a two-loaf batch every second day or so for several weeks. It's quick and easy to make, I can bake it in my toaster oven so as not to have to heat up the kitchen with the full oven, and it freezes very well. I fill my freezer with it and we eat it for breakfast often in the winter, with a banana or a little bowl of applesauce.

When I don't have time even to whip off a batch, I freeze the shredded zucchini in two-cup batches (for making zuke bread later) or in one-cup batches (for adding to soup or stew in winter; this is also what I do with the zucchini that I accidentally over-process in the food processor so as to get zucchini puree rather than shreds, which happens every once in a while).

Zabby

When I didn't have time to bake

• trsinc
    15 years ago

Are you growing yellow, green, or both?

• billinpa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

both 4 plants of each. I think next year it will be 2 of each.

Yeah I already have frozen lots of shredded for making zuk bread. I didnt think of dicing and freezing some for soups.

What else do we have out there?

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Well you can't safely can it except as pickles but as I posted on another recent discussion on this question you can freeze it in a number of ways. But if that is no option for you, I won't post the recipes again here. No room for even flat quart sized ziplock bags?

Dave

PS: oh and you can dry thin slices dipped in lemon juice.

• trsinc
    15 years ago

I like to use the zuchini in egg plant parmesan (instead of eggplant). I do mine family style. Sometimes I bread and fry the zuke sometimes I just saute in olive oil. I cut in wide strips about 1/4 inch thick. Then put in layers, cooked zuke, tomato sauce, mozarella, zuke, tom sauce, moz, etc. Finish with tom sauce and sprinkle with parmesan or romano if you have it. Everyone loves that dish.

I also substitute it for the eggplant in Mousakka (my favorite! recipes below). It's great in spaghetti sauce as well.

The only thing I can think of for the yellow is squash casserole. An easy one is to mix cream of mushroom soup, cheddar or american cheese, onion, raw sliced squash. The mixture should be thick. Top with bread crumbs and bake. Can also add cilantro, hot peppers, and top with tomatoes near the end. yummm

Here is a link that might be useful: Moussaka

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Here is a bunch of previous discussions on it and many contain recipes you might be interested in checking out.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Squash discussions...

• zabby17
    15 years ago

bilinpa,

Another thing seveal of usr recommended in a previous thread is to remember that you're not actually morally obligated to eat everything your garden grows---a garden isn't supposed to be a guilt-inducing burden, at least in my world, so if I end up with more than I can use or give away or preserve, I compost it without guilt, remembering to feel lucky that I had as much as I needed!

But I can use a lot of squash since I got the habit of making and freezing the zuke bread. We probably have it for breakfast twice a week in the winter--cozy and brings a little hit of summer flavour!

Zabby

• billinpa
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Freezing isnt out of the question digdirt. I have frozen iT before. Its just the quality when thawed./ Tastes fine just mushy and watery. Which the kids dont really like. I have 2 freezers in the garage. 1 in dedicated to the garden. The other is for meat.

Although like the squash parm, I could fry a batch and then freeze already cooked. That might turn out better.

not looking for recipes just creative ways to store.

Like cook then freeze.

I have already frozed several several bags of shredded.
    Didnt think of freezing diced for soups.

Thanks guys I gotta try that squash parm. :)

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Great Bill if you have room to freeze then you can do chunks, blanched, and then cook and serve whipped like mashed potatoes. There is also squash pie and slices, blanched, rolled in corn meal, frozen, and then deep fried (don't thaw first).

And squash pickles - either sweet or dills or B&B chunks.

Dave

• vegangirl
    15 years ago

Dave, how do you whip it? Do you use a mixer? I want to try that:)

• joybugaloo
    15 years ago

I have been considering making this simple chutney with my hordes of squash.

SQUASH CHUTNEY
    2 pounds summer squash, peeled, cored and cut into 1-inch cubes
    2 tablespoons salt
    2 large onions, coarsely chopped
    about 5 carrots, grated
    3 and one-half ounces crystallized ginger, coarsely chopped
    1-2 fresh red chilies, finely chopped
    2 tablespoons mustard seed
    1 tablespoon ground turmeric
    3 cups cider vinegar
    1 cup sugar

Put the squash in a colander and sprinkle with half the salt. Let stand for 1 hour. Rinse and dry. Put in a non-corrosive saucepan with all the ingredients, except the sugar and remaining salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 25 minutes, or until the vegetables are just soft.

Add the sugar and salt and simmer for 1 to 1 1/4 hours, until most of the liquid evaporates and the chutney is thick. Ladle into the hot, sterilized jars, then seal. It will be ready in 1 to 2 months.

Makes about 3 pints.

Source: "Preserving" by Oded Schwartz (DK Publishing, 1996).

Here is a link that might be useful: Lindsey's Luscious

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County