Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kerry_vetter

Canning lids- not the reusable ones

Kerry Vetter
10 years ago

Has anyone found a hidden secret place to buy canning lids vs the store? Even IF they're on sale, they are still so expensive :(

Comments (12)

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I don't think they would be that expensive, if you looked at how many times you would use them. If I was younger, they would be the way I'd go. I'd buy a minimum amount each year, and soon I wouldn't have to buy again.

does Lehman's have them, or a local Amish place? I haven't looked very hard for them, since I don't expect to be canning for very many years. Plus for selling purposes, I don't think they are not allowed.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Kerry you are asking about the regular metal lids not the reuseable ones correct? I think the above post mis-understood that.

The metal lids are available in bulk sleeves from Lehmans. But I find the boxes of 12 Golden Harvest available for $1 at several sources like Fred's and Big Lots and $1.25 at many other sources.

How much are you paying? Have you checked Walmart and Ace hardware?

Dave

• kai615
    10 years ago

Last year I at the end of the season when my local store (Redner's) which always has the best prices on canning supplies anyway had their sale $1.49 per pack. Right about then, Ball puts out a great coupon for buy 2 get 1 free. Which makes the lids $1 a box.

I make sure my mom, aunt, sister in law, neighbor, brother, friend, basically anyone I know cuts the coupon for me. I ended up with 10 coupons. So I bought what should amount to my years supply. 25 dozen regular lids, 5 dozen wide mouth. 360 lids = $30.

I have noticed that at the end of Aug / Beg of Sept. Ball puts this same coupon out every year. And every year the stores clean out the shelves. While I have plenty of family who cut the coupon for me (they all love getting my goodies throughout the year anyway) I have also seen the coupon on ebay for sale.

• Kerry Vetter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't want to buy the resuasable ones, I'm looking for a good place to buy regular ball lids.

We don't have an Amish place around, why do they have discounted lids??

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Be sure you buy the right ones, the Golden Harvest ones should only be used for non-acid products. The lids with the white coating inside are for acid products like fruit and tomatoes, plus pickles.

There are several places online that you can buy sleeves, which are about 250+, but you have to consider shipping. I've been buying the boxes (dozen) for years, and still have alot. Plus my mother's (she doesn't can anymore, I do it for her).

Amish buy in large bulk therefore getting a bulk discount, plus they don't believe in HUGE profits. They usually have 1-2 stores for each community to sell primarily to the community. Of course, if you aren't welcome in the community, you'll have a harder time finding their sources (I'm lucky to be accepted).

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Be sure you buy the right ones, the Golden Harvest ones should only be used for non-acid products.

Don't know where that info came from but it isn't accurate. Golden Harvest brand lids have been used by thousands of home canners for canning anything for many decades and with no problems whatsoever. They are made by the Altrista (Ball) company.

And they haven't made white coated lids for more than 10 years. The only time you see them is if you happen on some old stored stock somewhere.

Dave

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I buy the white coated ones everyday. Ball lids are white, while Kerr and the Golden Harvest that I just bought don't have the white coating inside of the lids.

Even the new sleeves from Lehmans offer both white coated or not.

I have asked the Ball representative for confirmation.

I've been canning for approximately 50 years and this information has been passed on from my mother and grandmother. They were SO glad when the 2-piece lids came out and they didn't have to deal with the zinc ones.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

By the white coated lids I referred to above I meant the ceramic coated. Sorry I wasn't clear about that

This discussion has come up here many times before and the Jarden response is noted below.

The white coloring you see on Ball lids today is only a coloring added to the silicone coating. it is not the ceramic coating found on lids of 25 years ago.

Per jarden website (and posted in a previous discussion of this):

Jarden makes all Ball, Kerr and Golden Harvest lids at the same plant in Muncie, Indiana. The only difference between the lids (they are actually all made on the same line) with white and clear coatings is the coloring agent added to the silicone linings. All Jarden lids have the following layers applied to the metal lid:

modified epoxy (contains small amount of BPA)
    tin plated steel
    modified vinyl
    another layer of modified epoxy
    red plastisol ring

Jarden does not recommend using only the white lids for acidic foods since other than color the lids are identical.

This doesn't mean you can't of course. The choice is yours. But it isn't required. And a further point often made in canning classes when this issue or the issue of the BPA comes up is that when using the proper headspace the acidic food shouldn't be in contact with the lid anyway.

Many of us here have been canning for decades too and some are certified instructors and/or Master Food Preservers. Many learned at Grandma's knee. But things change and what was once true may no longer be true. So for the benefit of those new to canning it is important to clarify facts vs. canning lore.

Dave

• junelynn
    10 years ago

Family Dollar has lids. I stocked up last year. They ONLY have the regular mouth lids, no wide mouth. They were $1.50 for 10 lids.

• Kerry Vetter
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll. check ace and family $. I pay ~ $2.50 per box of 12 at Kroger

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I asked on facebook, Here's the response that I received from Ball, which includes Kerr and Golden Harvest.

I have a question regarding lids. When I learned to can, over 50 years ago, we were taught in school, that the white coated lids were to be used with acid produce and the lids without the white inside were only with non-acid (pressure canned) product. Now I'm being told different, can you tell which is correct.

Ballî Canning & Recipes Hi Marla! We only manufacture one style of canning lid. They work great for both high acid and low acid foods, so no need to worry about what color coating is on the underside when you purchase our lids. Thanks for the question!

They are coming out with BPA-free lids, we should be seeing them on the market now. The only difference that we will see is the cream/white color will be more beige than cream.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Great info to have Marla. Thanks for passing it on.

Dave