Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
canning tomato question

Posted by matthew18 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 30, 11 at 9:43

Can you can big boys tomatoes? Do they make a decent sauce?
I have heard romas are the preferred type for paste. Should I mix big boys with romas? Ive never canned tomatoes. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: canning tomato question

Sure you can. You may 'can' any variety of tomato. In fact many of us prefer sauce made from a mix of tomato-types. Most roma varieties are not noted for their flavor so adding other varieties to them is a common way of improving the flavor of the sauce.

Dave

o

Different varieties have different amount of water content/pulpiness (Yeah I made up a word). Roma's are a nice meaty tomato so it has less water in it to cook out. You can use whatever you want you just might have to cook it down longer.

Lisa

o

• Posted by cozy 7 NE GA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 31, 11 at 18:36

Just wondering ... How aggressive are you folks in "cooking it down"?

It is always an all day event for us. I ran 7-8 5 gallon buckets through the Villa/Weston early yesterday morning, started cooking around 8:30 AM and finished with part around 9 last night ... the rest around 4 PM today.

This is a 16 qt pot ( we start with this, start more in another pot and combine as they cook down ... start more). Does the steam/evaporation seem "fast" enough?

Photobucket

Maybe it is just qty? Yesterday ended up with 7 quarts and 7 pints.

Photobucket

Today finished up with 13 pints.

Photobucket

This was maybe 60% Brandy Boy and the rest Jet Star ... no paste maters so part of it I reckon ( but really love Brandywine/Brandy Boy sauce).

o

After I've run my tomatoes through the food mill, I let the sauce sit overnight. The next day, lots of clear juice can be taken off the top, leaving behind a much thicker sauce. I usually cook it for less than an hour before canning. The juice I combine with onions, garlic, celery to make vegetable stock (goes in the freezer since the pH is unsuitable for waterbath).

Here is a link that might be useful: interrupted tomato sauce

o

Thanks for the link planatus! It is always "Pleasant" to read Barbara's articles!

matthew18, I can all different variety's, mixed together.

o

Your sauce looks fabulous! When I make sauce, I use a steam juicer to get the water out and then run it through a Victorio strainer. Then I don't have to cook it down at all.

Judi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here