Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
honey_jeanne

jar tipped over while canning

honey.jeanne
10 years ago

I'm new to canning and while I was canning yesterday one of the jars tipped over. I didn't see it until the time was up and when I pulled it out some of the brine had come out. So now there's a few green beans sticking out, the jar did seal but I don't know what I should do with it.

Comments (12)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

BWB or pressure canning? You mention "brine" so can I assume these were pickled or are we talking about caning green beans?

Makes a difference as to how to handle them so more info is needed please. meanwhile stick the jar in the fridge.

Dave

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I'd use it first, the beans out of the liquid will discolor. Personally, I'd just make a meal with them and not store it.

• honey.jeanne
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bath water and yes they are pickled

• honey.jeanne
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bath water and yes they are pickled

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I would still use that jar first. If you are in doubt, refrigerate it before eating. Good time to check to see if you like the recipe. we usually 'try' 1-2 of each batch.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Since they are pickled - store in fridge and allow the flavor to develop then eat when ready.

The problem with opening pickled products now to eat them is that the flavor won't be there so not worth saving. Yet if you shelf-store them they will discolor as already mentioned - safe just discolored. Storing in the fridge will slow the discoloration and still allow the flavor to develop.

Dave

• honey.jeanne
    Original Author
    10 years ago

great thank you so much to everyone, I'll keep them in my fridge.

• dgkritch
    10 years ago

Next time, if your pot isn't full, try placing some empty jars (no lids) in there to fill up the space and prevent tipping.

Dave is right, refrigerate (3-4 weeks) for flavor, then eat.
    Had it been pressure canned, it would have been dinner!

Deanna

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I have several stock pots that are deep enough for jars plus the extra for water above and below that I use for smaller batches.

I don't understand how jars get jiggled, you use a jar lifter to remove the jars, and you place the jars into the water AFTER the pan in on the stove. By shutting off the heat (gas or electric) stoves, you don't need to remove the canner. My canner (pressure or WB) stays on the same burner during the entire canning day and doesn't move (it's really too heavy for me to move with the water in it). Water in WB shouldn't need to be boiling with so much effort to knock the jars over.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

I don't understand how jars get jiggled

Some use a far too violent a boil and small jars like half pints can get tossed around in that case when only a few are in the pot. There is no need for using such a violent boil - a slow rolling boil is fine.

Dave

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

That's what I thought, but when you start learning almost before you start walking, you forget that some people aren't raised with it. I starting my grandkids today with pressure canning, ages 11, 9 and 5. The 2 older ones got the full treatment, the younger one was able to fill the jars and up to putting in canner. Their mother and other grandma doesn't know how, so they plan on teaching them.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz