Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jude31

Fig Jam ?????

jude31
13 years ago

Good morning! I have a fig jam recipe (?) that I copied from, where I don't remember. It's very vague, but simple. My question first, is it safe and if so can it be BWB and for how long? This is the way the recipe is written:

'Ripe figs. Cut off the stem and weigh the figs.

How much sugar to use? Half the weight of the figs. (I have 1.2kg, so I use around 550-600g sugar).

Direction: Put the sugar and fruit together in a big bowl. Stir well, then refrigerate the whole thing overnight.

The next day, boil the sugar and figs together in a heavy saucepan. Once the sugar is boiled, gently remove the fruits with a slotted spoon. Continue to boil the sugar syrup until it reaches 110C (hard-ball stage). Return the fruit to the sugar mixture.

Break up the fruits with a wooden spoon. Continue to boil the whole thing with gentle heat until the jam thickens (around 1 hour for me?) Stir occasionally. Squeeze is some juice of 1-2 lemons (do a taste test. I used 1.5 lemons.) Continue to boil off until everything is set

Pour the hot jam into sterilized jars. Seal, cool and refrigerate.'

Would someone please critique it and tell me if it is indeed safe and if not can it be altered so that it is safe?

When I first read it I thought, if it sounds too good (and easy)to be safe it probably is.

TIA

jude

Comments (14)

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

Not using pectin is no safety issue but figs are low acid so the approved recipes for it call for 1/4 to 1/2 cup of bottled lemon juice, not fresh. Maybe Carol or someone else has an approved recipe that uses fresh lemons for comparison.

With fresh lemons you have no assurance of proper acidity levels. Process pints or 1/2 pints in BWB for 5 mins.

Dave

• jude31
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dave, I'm good with the bottled juice, in fact I prefer it. I would just need to know the quantity. I just picked the rest of the ripe figs and I have 2 lbs and 6 ozs., total.

I will use the half pint jars and/or the smaller jelly jars.

I'm so grateful to have this forum to "lean on".

Thanks.

jude

• readinglady
    13 years ago

Actually, I think that recipe is probably OK. The reason I say that is the NCHFP has a fig preserves recipe (see link) which calls for fresh lemon slices (aka a fig marmalade) but lists them as optional and does not require any other acid. I'm assuming the high level of sugar is a preventative for any risky organisms. Of course in a preserve the fruit is thoroughly saturated with sugar.

The NCHFP also offers a fig jam with lemon juice but they do not specify that it be bottled.

With that in mind I've made Christine Ferber's fig jam with vanilla, checking against the NCHFP to make sure it aligns with theirs. However, my measurements are all in grams.

Figs do set very easily. Although the NCHFP does offer a pectin version, I think it's an unnecessary additional expense.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Fig Preserves

• jude31
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Carol, I checked the NCHFP jam recipe using bottled lemon juice. It used 6 cups of sugar for 5 lbs of figs which is a little more than twice the amount of figs I have. Also 1/4 cup lemon juice.

Unless there's a safety issue, I like the idea of the figs and sugar sitting overnight. (A little of Christine Ferber method) Would 1/8 cup of lemon juice (bottled) work for the amount of figs I have? I need to do something with them today. I was out of town for a few days and they are REALLY ripe.

Thanks.

jude

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

The NCHFP also offers a fig jam with lemon juice but they do not specify that it be bottled.

Good point Carol. I assume it means bottled since that is their standard acidification recommendation - bottled not fresh - for everything else.

And based on that recipe, I'd have no concerns about using 1/8 cup of lemon juice (I'd use bottled) with your 2 1/2 lbs. of figs. I would also reduce the amount of sugar but that's just because we don't like the overly sweet.

JMO

Dave

• readinglady
    13 years ago

Since you prefer bottled (which CI also preferred in their testing) it doesn't seem an issue. As long as you stick with the same proportions, scaling the recipe down isn't a problem.

I've noticed other NCHFP recipes (especially pickled ones) that do specify bottled lemon juice. It's hard to tell if it's an inconsistency in this case or if it truly doesn't matter. I assumed it doesn't matter as the fig preserves don't require any lemon at all, but assumptions are not a good idea in canning and it's always better to default in the direction of caution.

Carol

• jude31
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Carol, I semi-followed Christine Ferbers recipe for the vanilla fig jam. I used 2 1/4 lbs of figs, 3 cups of sugar and 1/4 C. bottled lemon juice. I sliced the figs, added the sugar and lemon juice and they are now macerating for an hour.

On the outside chance they don't turn out well all it will have cost me is the sugar. I guess I could have added the quandry about what to do (lol) and I thank both you and Dave for helping me work through that.

Thinking positive thoughts.

jude

• readinglady
    13 years ago

I expect they'll turn out delicious, depending of course on the figs.

Looking at my recipe, I used 3.8 lbs. of figs to 2 lbs. of sugar (4 1/2 cups) and slightly less than 1/4 cup lemon juice. (I think; I haven't transposed grams to volume.) Plus one very large moist vanilla bean.

So I'd say we're both in the same ballpark as the NCHFP.

I used the Ferber method. They are delicious. Wonderful for a thumbprint cookie filling.

Carol

• jude31
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My yield was 12-4 ounce jelly jars. It tastes great...maybe a little sweet, but all in all I'm very pleased. Next venture is Figs with Gewurztaminer and Pine Nuts. Has anyone tried that?

I'm to the point I need to get away from the "sweets", because there's no way we can use all that we have. And...I haven't even gotten to the late summer-fall fruits. I do share with friends and relatives but to be honest I gift the small jars, which is why I got 12 jars. Stingy? Na-a-h, not me!

jude

• readinglady
    13 years ago

Sweet preserves can be very versatile if we think outside the box. Take a look at this Grilled Skirt Steak with a Fig Ginger Glaze using Fig Preserves from chef John Besh. It might give you some ideas.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Fig Ginger Glaze

• jude31
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh Carol, sadly, I am not one to think outside the box. I'm afraid I'm not a very creative cook but I do follow recipes pretty well.lol The skirt steak sounds good and I'm sure I would enjoy it.

I always am appreciative when a poster of recipes lists various ways of using that particular recipe.

Thank you so very much!

jude

• nancyofnc
    13 years ago

I had a huge supply of figs last year, jamming like crazy, making fresh fig cakes and filling cookies, eating my fill with goat cheese daily, and at the end of the season I sprinkled some with sugar and popped them in the freezer. My, oh my! Delicious in the middle of winter, slightly defrosted, with a mug of hot green tea on the side, like eating candy. Another use for low sugar fig jam is to slather it on leftover chicken in a sandwich, heated or not. I think Carol's recipe suggestion for the fig ginger glaze would also be tasty used as a green salad dressing by substituting water for the beef stock and not using the bay leaf called for.

Nancy

• readinglady
    13 years ago

Now that's a great idea. I'm thinking with pears and candied walnuts or just plain toasted nuts on mixed leafy greens.

I like everything about your suggestions except the goat cheese, LOL. (It's very seldom I can find a goat cheese that's even tolerable. Too much "barnyard" for me.)

Carol

• jude31
    Original Author
    13 years ago

nancedar, I waited to see if you would post your recipe for fabulous fig jam (I think that's what you called it) on the 'What have you put up thread' but had to go ahead and use the figs. Thanks for the tips but I'd still like to see your fig jam recipe.

jude