Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cheesecloth grade for jelly

Posted by amyjean CentralNY 5b (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 20, 11 at 10:17

Hello everyone; I've read various posts which talk about the grade (I think that is what it would be called) of cheesecloth for making clear jellies, understanding that it would need to be doubled, tripled, etc. However, I don't recall ever seeing here actual number of grade discussed for making the best jelly.

The place I've found cheesecloth in bulk is online at "Raglady" and they list a cheesecloth numbered as (90) as their finest grade. Is that the best to use?

Any info. would be most appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cheesecloth grade for jelly

I prefer muslin over cheesecloth. That or the flour sack towels are great.
I make my juice with a steam juicer now, not having to strain the juice like that other than strain grape juice.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 20, 11 at 13:23

Is it me, or does Raglady seem like a huge expense to invest in jelly making even at the box, not case, price?

I have a couple of the over-bowl frames with their washable, reusable jelly straining bags, one of those I own is MANY years old. I think they are less than $10 complete at the hardware store, and I could buy replacement bags for just a few dollars if needed.

My jelly isn't cloudy and there are no seeds or pulp, I don't know if it would win prizes but it pleases anyone I've made it for :) With two of the frames/bags I can cook and strain juice for 3-4 batches of jelly at once and that's as much as I need.

Years ago I used to make cheesecloth bags (that I hung from upper cabinet knobs to drip!) but that was cheesecloth from the canning section of the hardware store too - minimal investment.

Here is a link that might be useful: Raglady Grade 90 cheesecloth

o

Agree with Linda Lou. Wife is our jelly expert and she uses muslin - she says cotton, not permaprest. Cheesecloth works of course and you can use any grade you want. It just depends on how clear you want it to be.

Of course you an also buy ready-made jelly bags.

Dave

o

For large batches I like muslin.

For smaller batches I use the large urn-size organic coffee filters. I actually prefer them as they can just go into the compost pile - no laundering.

Carol

o

Everyone, thanks for the responses. (Morz8, yes, I DO think that Raglady for cheesecloth is exceptionally expensive. Ouch!) I'm going to try to go the muslin route and I'm also going to try to do some "steam juicing" in the oven. I just can't justify the additional expense and equipment storage with purchasing one. Hopefully, this will work!
Thanks again, Amy

o

None of us thought to mention it, but an old pillowcase tied up and hung can work beautifully as a jelly bag.

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here