Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
freezing grated zucchini questions

Posted by tomtuxman 6bNY (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 31, 09 at 10:26

I already have a surplus of zucchini this year (baseball bat size, a few of them) after many years of zucchini failures. Despite the cool rainy summer..go figure!

Anyway, I was advised to make zucchini bread, fritters, etc. Sounds good to me.

Since I do not want to spend a majority of my life in the kitchen, grating and freezing sound like reasonable options to me.

Questions: (a) do I need to blanch zucchini before or after grating, before freezing? (b) should grated zucchini be colandered and squeezed before bagging and freezing, or should extra moisture be left in? and (c)does zucchini need an additive, such as lemon juice, to keep from discoloration?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: freezing grated zucchini questions

I freeze grated zucchini every year. I do not blanch it (never even thought of doing so!). I just grate and freeze in 2 C portions (since that's what most recipes call for). When I thaw, I let it drain for a very long time and squeeze then.

I think it might be better to do as you suggest. Grate, salt and drain, squeeze and drain, freeze.

I do not add lemon juice and have not noticed any discoloration.

In my opinion, zucchini are better before they reach the size of baseball bats! Wiffleball bats might be better, lol. I do know how hard it is to keep up though, those things are happy growers!

o

Agree that we just grate and freeze - we coarse grate. No blanching, no squeezing, no salt, nothing else. We also freeze in 2 cup portions. Into a ziplock freezer bag, squeeze out the excess air, and lay them out on a cookie sheet to freeze flat and then they stack well and take little room.

Dave

o

I also just grate and freeze as the above posters do. I also freeze in 2 cups portions, and lie them on a cookie sheet to freeze so they will stack well.

the only thing I do differently is in use. When I'm using the frozen zucchini in baked goods, like bread or muffins, I just dump in the liquid and all, I figure the liquid was there in the original recipe, so it needs to be there.

For fritters or zucchini pancakes, I drain and squeeze the stuff dry.

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here