Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Annie's Salsa

Posted by lilmomo (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 16, 09 at 10:38

My tomatoes are almost ready and I'm hoping that by next week I'll be up to my elbows in Annie's Salsa! I've been reading such great things about it, but I have to say that I'm a bit overwhelmed by all of the tweaks and changes to the recipe over the years. Annie (or anyone else) - could you post the definitive recipe with the most recent changes to it? I would SO appreciate it. Everytime I walk out into my garden, visions of jars and jars of salsa float through my head. LOL!

Thank you so much!

Mo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Annie's Salsa

Here is one recent post of the recipe.

* Posted by digdirt 6 -7 AR (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 19, 09 at 10:43

Here you go:

ANNIES SALSA

8 cups tomatoes, peeled, chopped and drained
2 cups chopped onion
1 cups chopped green pepper
3 5 chopped jalapenos
6 cloves minced garlic
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp pepper
1/8 cup canning salt
cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup vinegar
16 oz. tomato sauce
16 oz tomato paste
Mix all ingredients, bring to a boil, boil 10 minutes. Pour into hot jars, process at 10 lbs of pressure for 30 minutes for pints.

Makes 6 pints

if I want to process in a BWB up the vinegar to one cup and process 10 minutes in BWB.

You can safely leave out the cumin abd/or the green peppers but do not increase the cilantro

NOTE: To repeat what Annie said, the Extension agency no longer recommends canning in quarts or pressure canning her salsa (probably because they don't have the resources to test it). For those who have made it in the past, the pressure canned recipe called for a smaller amount of vinegar.

So, to update, make Annie's salsa with a full cup of vinegar, can only in pints and boiling water bath for 15 minutes. (From Carol)

Dave

If you use the Harvest forum search at the bottom of the front page and note the date on the "Most recent post" on the Annie's salsa discussions you'll find several recent (July 09) posts on it too - some from Annie.

Dave

o

Dave,

You rock!

Mo

o

There is only one true recipe and any side adjustments are usualy safe. Like using bottled lime juice, and cider vinegar. The tweaks you mention are not compromizing safety. The 'definative' real, original recipe is easily found by doing a search within this forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Main thread for Annie's Salsa recipe

o

I'd like to put it up this year in half pint jars (jelly glass size). There shouldn't be any contraindication for using a smaller, rather than larger jar, especially if you use the processing time for pints......should there? The only bad result I could see is overprocessing. That I don't mind either, because what I want it for is to use an a dish where the salsa would be cooked again as an ingredient with beef for a Mexican meal I make often.

o

Gee, after canning many one cup sized jars, I bet you wish you used bigger jars again. To each his own though. Processing no longer that the time of a pint is fine.

o

You got me to chuckling. I want to put them into both pint and half pint jars at different batch times. I really don't want to waste this great stuff, and it's happened several times when I had a jar larger than what I needed at the time. The rest of the jar goes into "never-never" land, what some of you call a fridge, and gets forgotten if I am not vigilant. When it finally grows green fur, I find it.

o

Time to clean out the fridge! Maybe if you have a big freezer, that too.. My dad used to buy from a farm coop some years ago. On order was for four 5 pound boxes of cauliflower heads. He had forgotten these for several years. Once I found them, I noticed that they seemed very light in weight and rattled. Opened them and found tiny 1/2 inch bits of tan color stuff inside. They had dried out so much that were not edible even if I rehydrated them. I have a batery operated device in my fridge that makes ozone. Its timed circuitry and is on and off in pulses. It helps to reduce any food odors, as well any mold inside the fridge. I have potatoes in there 8 months and no signs of spoilage. Also 2 year old dried figs that are still in one piece. I even keep cheeses under vacuum in Food Saver canisters.

o

I want to add my two cents here with regards to the vinegar...

You need one cup of vinegar to add acidity. The vinegar can either be white vinegar, cider vinegar, lime juice or lemon juice or a combination of any of those as long as they, combined, measure one cup.

I personally did not like the taste of the salsa when I used white vinegar. The taste and smell are overpowering. My next batch was cider vinegar. That batch was much, much better. My last batch was a combination of cider vinigar and lime juice and that was the best to date.

Of course, that is just my opinion but from what I've read on here, most people use cider vinegar for cooking and save the white vinegar for pickles.

o

• Posted by malna NJ 5/6 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 26, 09 at 20:36

Don't know if this will help, but these are my notes from the last couple of years as far as changes, discussions, etc. but please don't ask WHICH thread they were on or if there was a subsequent comment that I didn't see or make a note of :-)

After the carat (>) is a comment I found somewhere here.

Annie's Salsa Ingredient Checklist:

8 cups tomatoes, peeled, chopped and drained

2-1/2 cups onion, chopped

1-1/2 cups green pepper, chopped
3 - 5 jalapenos, chopped
>Any combination of green, red, whatever color peppers is fine. 3-5 jalapenos equates to roughly 1/4 cup, so total peppers cannot exceed 1-3/4 cups.

6 cloves garlic, minced
>Do not increase. But small differences in size of cloves should not matter.

2 teaspoons cumin

2 teaspoons pepper

1/8 cup canning salt
>For taste only. Can be reduced or left out entirely.

1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
>Can be reduced or left out entirely. Do not increase.

1/3 cup sugar
>For taste only. Can be reduced or left out entirely.

1 cup 5% cider vinegar
>Pressure canning is no longer recommended, which specified 1/3 cup vinegar. Must include full 1 cup of vinegar for BWB processing. However, may substitute bottled lemon or lime juice in any proportions according to taste (for example, 1/3 cup vinegar, 1/3 cup lemon juice, 1/3 cup lime juice). Can use any flavor vinegar (white, cider, etc.) as long as acidity is at least 5%.

2 cups (16 oz.) tomato sauce
>For texture only. Can be reduced or left out entirely.

2 cups (16 oz.)tomato paste
>For texture only. Can be reduced or left out entirely.

Mix all ingredients, bring to a boil and boil for 10 minutes. Pour into hot pint jars, seal and process in a hot water canning bath for 15 minutes. Makes about 6 pints.
>Cannot BWB quarts. If doing half-pints or smaller, process for the pint time of 15 minutes.

o

Thanks malna. You've put the tweaks all on one notepage for us. It has amazed me how many threads there are for Annie's Salsa on this forum. Perhaps this will be THE answer to end all posted questions and we'll just direct any more of them here.

Nancy

o

Thanks for summarizing the updates! This is very helpful.

I have a question I haven't been able to find the answer to in the other threads I've searched. I don't like a chunky salsa-- I prefer my salsas with a smoother consistency, which is a big part of why I want to make my own; commerically available salsas are always too chunky for my taste. But I know it's not a good idea to just puree any old canning recipe, since the changes in density can affect the temperatures reached inside jars during processing.

Does anyone know whether it would be ok to puree this particular recipe before BWBing it?

o

Malna - great notes - thanks for posting them. One more thing... the cilantro loses it's taste very quickly. I leave it out when cooking and add it fresh before serving.

o

joanna, I like my salsa thick and chunky, which is why I added the tomato sauce and paste. I'm not sure I'd puree it with those additions, because of the density issues. I do can tomato sauce, spaghetti sauce, etc. so I'm sure it can be done but I'd have no clue as to time or acidity.

If I were to puree it, I'd leave those out and just puree the rest, but there are no guarantees as to safety if you do that. It was tested as written, not pureed.

Annie

o

Agree. Make it as written. If you want it pureed then puree it AFTER opening and prior to serving.

Dave

PS: Annie - good to hear from you! :^)

o

Thanks Annie and Dave...but I was afraid you were going to say that! :) Guess I'll have to freeze it (I'm too lazy to break out the blender when all I want is a quick afternoon snack...)

o

Thanks for the welcome back, Dave. Life has kept me hopping, it's a learning experience, farming without Dad.

he knew who had feeder pigs, where he could rent a bull, who would bale square bales, where the property lines were, who had fencing on sale. I'm learning all those things from scratch.

Dang, I miss him. :-(

Annie

o

Annie,
At least his memory will be with you always. You see it all around you. You will survive and thrive, and will know more about farming than you started out with.

o

You're right, Ken. My stepmom asked if I'd been to the cemetary lately and I had to tell her "no". Dad isn't there for me, he's next to me when I'm mending fence or picking beans. There's not a square inch of that farm that I step on where Dad isn't with me.

He taught me a lot of important things, but there's so many times when I know HE would have known.

As for the salsa, I've found that even with testing, it's a work in progress. As soon as the NCFHFP updates their salsa guidelines, the acidity will probably change again, just to stay up-to-date.

Annie

o

Search term for future reference: Annie's Salsa 2009

o

I just made another 71/2 pints. I was a little generous with the tomatoes this time. This is so good, I have to wait for more tomatoes before making more. It's going to take a lot of batches to get through the next year. Last year I had to hide the last few jars as the kids loved it so much they put it on everything.

o

Hi everyone ! I just finished making a batch of salsa with some tomatoes out of my garden, yummy ! Annie, thank you for sharing your recipe , I used it last year and again today, it is soo good ! I am going to make more this year as we almost ran out before the summer ... we were rationing it around the end of the football season LOL ... nothing like a cold Sunday afternoon with chips and salsa and a good football game !

o

rane, you are ever so welcome. Somehow I have a feeling that the NCFHFP is going to want me to up the vinegar in that recipe when they finish their guidelines for salsa.

I'd never heard of salsa when I was a kid, about a million years ago. Now it's the #1 condiment in America. Boy how tastes change.

Annie

o

Annie, I just wanted to say I really enjoy your salsa too. When I first read that original long thread I was skeptical as virtually everyone that had made it was from up north and what do they know about salsa? lol j/k

A couple questions. My favorite commercial salsa uses roasted veggies. Could veggies be roasted for use in your salsa, safely? If it would affect the density, could it be thinned back out again with more canned tomato sauce or by using less tom paste? Additional processing times for roasted veggies?

Thanks,
(another) Dave

o

Oh dear, Dave, you just have to complicate things, don't you? LOLOLOL

I don't see any reason why the vegetables couldn't be roasted, although I have to tell you, it took me five years to just get the extension service to tell me the stuff was safe to waterbath can with that cup of vinegar, and now the guidelines are going to change and it's going to have to be adjusted.

As things get tested or new information becomes available or the acidity level in vegetables fluctuate, recipes and guidelines change.

so, although I don't see any reason why the vegetables couldn't be roasted for that recipe, because I don't think roasting changes the density to a point where it's an issue, I can't tell you that it would be perfectly safe to do so because it hasn't been tested and in today's economy and Michigan's financial woes I can't imagine testing my salsa is going to be a priority (or even a possibility).

If I were going to roast the vegetables, I'd probably up the acid level, either adding more vinegar or adding a vinegar/lemon-or-lime juice mix.

Somehow I just know that Kay is going to call me any day now and tell me to be sure to adjust my salsa recipe, LOL, because the NCFHFP is testing salsa acidities right now.

Annie

o

Hahaha... yeah, I never can leave well enough alone. Several years ago I found a recipe for roasted garlic soup in one of the gourmet food magazines. After tweaking it to my liking I gave the improved recipe to a chef friend of mine. It became his signature dish! I love roasted and grilled veggies. ;-)

Thanks for the info. I think before I do anymore experimenting I'll wait for the new guidelines... not that it needs tweaking. It's exceptionally good as is. I can't wait to spring it on the guys at deer camp this fall. :)

Dave

o

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I just made some! It is the best salsa EVER!

o

I made the salsa last night. I did not see the subbing of cider vinegar until now. But it still seems like it taste good with the white vinegar! I was actually tired of chopping, chopping, chopping, but it was worth it. If I had realized it was so much prep time, I would have waited until a Saturday when I didn't have to go to work the next day. I didn't get out of the kitchen until 9:30 after starting after I got off work. But I wanted to make it and wanted to see what all the hoopla was about, since you all rave about it so much. And I had the tomatoes.

I have never worked with jalapeno peppers before and cut them bare handed. Needless to say I paid for that, but soaking my fingers in milk helped, but it still took time for the "heat" to stop. Luckily, I never touched my face or eyes. I wondered if the capsaisan would help the arthritis in my r. hand...ha ha... The hardest part was cleaning up after using warm/hot water, wow! It won't happen again!!
I am anxious to have a salsa lover taste it. To me, it tasted very good, even tho' I'm not a fan of salsa.
I also put some in half pints for gifts at Xmas. If it is approved by a salsa taster. The texture came out beautiful.

Also, what is the difference between a red jalapeno and a green jalapeno? Is one stronger or sweeter? I had one red one (it turned green after I'd had it a few days) and I cut that one up also. I don't know much about peppers. There's just part of my genes that don't like peppers and they seem to dominate the taste of something and that's all I taste.

Thanks everyone!

June Lynn

o

Lynn,
"...chopping, chopping, chopping..."
I made 26 pints last Sat. and it took very little time to chop all the ingredients. I use a food processor.
Fine chop some of the onions, garlic and hot peppers. Then rough chop everything else using the "pulse" button on the food processor. Depending on the size of the hopper on your food processor, it can be done in not too many batches in 30 minutes or so (for 26 pints anyway). Hope this helps.
Jim in So. Calif.

o

Junelynn. When a pepper gets red it is just more ripe. They do get hotter. Last summer I gave my friend some jalopenos and told him they were a little bitey but not to hot as I tried them a few days earlier. He called me to tell me they were hottiest peppers he ever had. It wasn't pleasant experience.

Scott

o

June, Try a batch of Annie's Salsa using lemon or lime juice instead of the vinegar. It is delicious. You must use bottled, NOT fresh.

o

i have a question
i love to make Annie's salsa but in a smaller batch say 1/2 of the recipe but i not got a canner my question is if i make the salsa boil it for 10 mins and bottle it how long would it last open in the fridge for

or could i freeze it as well i know it might get more mushy if froze but as anyone froze it ?

and could i make the sasla and not boil and use fresh agion how long would that last opened in fridge etc or would that not work

as you see i very novice at all this

ty
dave

o

Has anyone ever tried subbing some chopped green onions for some of the regular onion?

Not sure if that would change the density enough to matter?

We try to add some fresh when we open a jar, but I rarely buy them during the winter. I have tons in the garden I could use now.

o

dave,

If you are going to eat it fresh or put it in the freezer, you can put anything you want in the salsa, and you don't have to cook it. I would leave out the canned tomato juice and tomato sauce so you will have just the fresh taste of the fresh ingredients!

It will probably last only a few days in the fridge --- maybe up to a week if you used plenty of vinegar or lime juice.

And you are right that it will get more mushy if you put it in the freezer but it will still taste great when you thaw it.

There are lots of recipes for salsa and you can use any one you want if you aren't going to can it. (A lot of us here like this one because it has been tested as safe to can, and is also tasty! Most of the standard canning recipes are more boring.)

Good luck,

Zabby

o
Dads

Hey, Annie, I just wanted to say hi!

And boy do I know what you mean about missing Dad in all kinds of practical little ways. Just the other day we had a problem with the toilet --- my DH is VERY handy, but he wasn't sure how to fix this particular thing --- "Your dad put that part in when he visited last," he said, "and I don't actually know how to fix it. He would have."

These days I have a lot of responsibility for my mom; she just moved to my town, in fact, to be closer by. She has a great apartment with a balcony overlooking Main Street, and I found myself thinking, wow, Dad would have loved this balcony! Of course, it didn't make any sense, because Mom only moved there because Dad isn't here any more, but the thought was strong nevertheless.

Anyway, happy salsa-ing to all, and everyone, appreciate your dads if you have 'em!

Z

o

June, I know how that feels! I've gotten pepper in my eye too, it's no fun! So this is what I do to avoid having burning hands or eyes:

- put a disposable glove on the hand you will handle the peppers with (and the other hand is for handling tools only).
- Cut off the stem (and de-seed if you want). Fill up the food processor with blade attachment and turn it on (beware not to get a big whiff of the air in the food processor, it's like having pepper spray sprayed on you! - wait 2-3 minutes before opening processor).
- Use a spatula to scrape all the minced pepper into a sealable container, seal it, and set it aside.
- Put ungloved hand in your pocket or behind your back and use gloved hand to throw away the pepper tops and put the knife, cutting board and food processor parts in the dishwasher.
- Take a soapy rag and wipe off the counter, watching for stray pepper seeds.
- Take off the glove (inside-out), throw it away, and wash hands really well.

You're left with a clean container of raw, minced hot peppers that you can measure out at your convenience (and without worry) in the next few days. Use a soup spoon and a measuring cup/spoon and put them both straight in the dishwasher, and make sure there are no stray seeds! You can even freeze the minced peppers in an ice-cube tray and store in a ziplock bag in the freezer (nice for adding to chili, etc.)

o

Also - if you freeze it, you can cut back on the vinegar. I've started taking a quart or so out before adding the vinegar, tomato sauce and tomato paste and boiling to keep in the fridge. It doesn't last long around here!!

o

Zabby
i was going to try both fresh and freezing

ccaggiano
so for freezing leave out the vinegar,tomato paste and sauce
then went time to use add them back at what ratio would that be for say a pint of salsa ??

or leave then all in and then freeze (again yes would be mushy but should be ok)as zabby said ???

sorry for the novice questions but you got to start somewhere :)

Dave

o

Oh yeah, I will be wearing gloves the next time. Not a problem. I do have to chop all my veggies. I do not have a food processor or a food chopper (kterlep and Jim in S.Ca). I don't mind doing it, but it can get tedious. Maybe something to think about for Christmas or for next year. Wish I had a bigger kitchen! I've got a lot of stuff out in my shed as it is!!
What I really want to get is one of the fancy food mills that separate seeds and skins. For next year, when I grow a lot more tomato plants!

I like oldpot's idea about halving the recipe. And thanks Shirley, for the tip on bottled lemon instead of vinegar. I do use the bottled lemon always in canning.

You guys are wonderful, as usual!!!

o

>> so for freezing leave out the vinegar,tomato paste and sauce
then went time to use add them back at what ratio would that be for say a pint of salsa ??

Dave,
You don't have to put them back in. Just thaw your frozen salsa and eat!

The vinegar (or lime or lemon juice) is for making it safe to can. So if you aren't canning it, you don't need it at all. Some people like to put in some anyway for the taste --- I especially like some lime juice in my salsa.

If you WANT the tomato paste and tomato sauce in your salsa, go ahead and put them in before freezing, so it is ready to use when comes out of the freezer. The only reason I suggested leaving them out was that you might like to try not cooking it at all, for a very fresh-tasting salsa, and putting those in would make it taste "cooked" since they are cooked.

Hope this makes sense. Basically, if you are freezing it, you can put in or leave out most anything, so try what you think you will like and see how it is!

As you say, you have to start somewhere --- see what you like!

Zabby

o

Annie,

I cant thank you enough for your salsa recipe. Its been a hit with our family for several years now. When DD was playing competitive ice hockey and we were traveling all over NE and Canada, I used to make as many pints of your salsa as my garden harvest would allow usually 50+ pints. The girls would sit in the hotel room wherever we were and munch on salsa, nacho chips and veggies. I would use 3-4 pints every weekend. It sure saved me a lot of money not having to buy DD snacks at the hotel restaurant.

I know what you mean about missing your father. My Dad has been gone since 2000 but we live in the house he built. Not a day goes by that I dont have a reminder of Dad or wonder how the heck he did something. I still find little reminders in the yard and garden like when I tilled up a Budweiser can or found his old watch in the vegetable garden. And yes when problems arise around the house or yard, DH and I scratch our heads and wonder "Now what the heck would Dad do?" or more likely "Why the heck did Dad do it that way?"

I still have the remains of a tea rose plant that Dad pruned below the graft. Instead of a beautiful tea rose I have this rambling dark pink root stock rose. I cant bear to dig it up because it reminds me of Dad and gives me a smile when I think of the chastising I gave him for ruining the tea rose. Ive also left the remains of the fencing for the steer pasture. Every now and again when Im traipsing through the woods I run across a steel orange fence post and think about all the work Dad put in to create that pasture. Best of all is the single clump of asparagus in the middle of a flower bed. Now the patch used to be all asparagus but one year Dad "forgot" and rototilled that asparagus patch to put in tomatoes. Only one clump of asparagus survived. Dad only planted tomatoes there one year then converted the bed to perennial flowers. I have no idea why, Dad never planted or grew a flower before or after. Oh and then there was the time Dad mowed my herb garden patch.:-)

Kim

o

First off, Thank You Annie!
OK, my salsa got pretty good reviews, but all said it could have been hotter! To me it was just right, but that's just me. Some of these folks were much more experienced with hot stuff than I am. The texture was perfect! Can I make it hotter, adding habaneros and those green chili peppers? I used 6 green jalapenos originally.
To me, it was pretty sweet and I may cut down on the sugar a tad. Some liked that, some not so. I did use white vinegar and I may try the bottled lemon juice (shirleywny) or try the cider vinegar with lemon juice (ccaggaino).
I did not have cilantro, and it was optional I understand.

MALNA above said, "Any combination of green, red, whatever color peppers is fine. 3-5 jalapenos equates to roughly 1/4 cup, so total peppers cannot exceed 1-3/4 cups." From this I glean that I can use more peppers, right? So would I cut down on the green peppers?

And to Jim in CA and all your others that mentioned, "FOOD PROCESSOR" I broke down and bought one today. You all put the bug in me! I got the Hamilton Beach BIG MOUTH 14 cup food processor. (Walmart) I did search the internet first, and there is a Cuisinart processor that I saw for around $100, but for right now, I'll see how this one does. Since I work full-time and part-time, the savings of time will definitely help me out, as I am having a blast canning this year. Otherwise, I don't know if I would have ever bought one. I now dream of chopping and freezing onions, which would be so labor intensive if done by hand. No more hand grating of cheese (oh joy), and now I can make more salsa and look forward to it!! (I had also burned out two smaller ones trying to grate cheese, so for years I haven't had one. I'll see how this one handles cheddar cheese).

June Lynn

o

June Lynn,

Yep, if you add, say, another 1/4 cup of hot peppers, just reduce the green peppers by 1/4 cup. So the total amount of peppers (sweet, hot, it matters not) is 1-3/4 cups.

Enjoy your new food processor!

o
Hotter Salsa

Thanks Malna, I appreciate you replying! Now I can make it a bit hotter and see how my friends like it. And Christmas is coming soon!

I just thought of shredding potatoes with my F.P., another, 'OH JOY!" Now I won't have to do it by hand! I keep thinking of more uses for it! No more shredding of zucchini for bread and freezing. Yay! The clean up will be worth it!
June Lynn

June Lynn

o

Thank you June Lynn for asking about how to make a hotter salsa. The last batch I made I substituted 2 habanaros for 2 of the jalapenos and it still was not hot enough for DD. I will try again. I did make a milder version by using Fresno peppers. I have some wimpy friends.

o

Re: June Lynn and the burn from chopping jalapenos. I find the fold over plastic sandwich bags very useful, and cheap. I just stick my left hand in and chop away on the peppers, also use one to grease baking pans etc. I think some of you must have asbestos tongues. 5 jalapenos in the salsa is about the maximum for us. So we must be a family of "wimps", but we totally love Annie's salsa.

o

June Lynn, you can take either malna's approach (add more hot peppers and reduce the sweet ones) or caavonlady's (use hotter peppers --- substituting habaneros for jalapenos will make a MUCH hotter version!) --- or, for those serious hothead friends of yours, try BOTH....

I try to make a range of different heats over the salsa-canning season, and label them with one to three stars on the jar, so I know what I'm opening depending on who is visiting....

Z

o

Jude, I'm a wimp too, 5 jalapenos is the absolute maximum for me but Elery likes me to cut down the green peppers and add at least twice as many hot ones, whatever is in the garden, including habaneros, scotch bonnet, Hungarian hot, cayenne, whatever.

I make two kinds of salsa, the girls call mine "sissy salsa" and Elery's "serious salsa". LOL

Dave, your questions have been ably answered by Zabby, so freeze away!

Kim, I'm so glad you like it.

Oh, and June, congratulations on the food processor. It's also great for grating carrots for carrot cake, cucumbers for relish, slicing cabbage for sauerkraut and slicing potatoes for scalloped or au gratin potatoes. I've been known to chop up the onions and peppers for salsa in there, but it turns the tomatoes to mush. Truthfully, it makes the onions and peppers a bit small for my taste too, but it's sure a lot faster if you're in a hurry.

I also used it to grate a huge piece of Asiago cheese to put in the freezer. I want grated cheese, I just open the big ziplock bag, take out as much as I want and close it back up.

Yup, it's sure a handy item....

Oh, and those frozen onions? Double bag 'em. Even with double bags my whole freezer smelled of onions the year I did that, I started just dehydrating them after that, LOL.

Annie

o

With all your rave reviews Annie, I just may have to try your Salsa. Although it is the #1 U.S. condiment I think over the last year I have had about only 1 TBsp of Salsa, I never seem to eat any.
Maybe I'll be a convert, lol.
There is one gal new to our social group that makes salsa, the only thing she cans it's pretty good. It's thinner than yours, no mater paste for sure.
Now, if these maters will get ripe!

Congrats on the food processor as well, June. My large Cuisinart and the 2 smaller ones stay on the counter now till replacing the mixer for holiday baking.

o

I was thinking of adding the peppers that I have been dehydrating. I have such an abundance of peppers this year from the milder Fresno peppers for the wimpy salsa to hotter jalapenos, to Hungarian wax to one habenero plant. I have been dehydrating them. I just opened a container of dried peppers to add to it and the fumes were quite strong. Maybe I could make up a real strong batch of pepper spray for the varmints(deer & jackrabbits). I used green habeneros in my last batch of salsa, next time I'll try the red. I am determined to make at least one batch of super hot salsa for my DD and her friends. Our local fair has two sections for salsa, mild and hot. I'm wondering if my super hot would be too hot to enter.

o

I was dying to try this after reading all the rave reviews here, but have a few questions. Are you seeding the tomatoes or leaving the seeds in? (recipe doesn't mention seeding).

The recipe says peeled, chopped, 'drained'. Why drain then add canned tomato juice back in?

Are yellow tomatoes too low in acid to be trusted? I can't find anything about them on forum search, though I've read this info elsewhere in my past canning efforts. Could I mix a few in for color?

Thanks!

o

Wed, Aug 12, 09 at 11:26

Annie runs her thumb through the tomatoes and gets out the "goo" (as she calls it). I leave the seeds in (I'm lazy). Just a personal preference.

When you drain them, you'll get a lot of watery, almost clear juice. The recipe calls for canned (or homemade) tomato sauce, not tomato juice.

You can use yellow tomatoes, but I've found that they can get lost in the redness, especially after adding the tomato paste. But I use any color tomato I can get my hands on.

o

As Malna pointed out, I use canned tomato sauce and tomato paste in my salsa, just for the texture. I don't like it watery, so I add those things and I "thumb out" the seeds and goo inside the tomatoes, then just chop up the meaty part.

I also use whatever color tomato I have, the cup of vinegar/lemon/lime juice adds the acidity which many modern tomatoes lack, although I also find that the color gets lost in the mix.

I'm also told that yellow tomatoes aren't really lower in acid, they are higher in sugar content so they taste sweeter but aren't actually a low acid tomato. I guess I don't know that for sure, having not taken the time to do any research.

I hope you enjoy the salsa.

Annie

o

Thank you both--I knew it was "sauce" and not juice--bought the right thing, just didn't type the right thing. I made salsa once before and didn't like it watery, so I'm hoping the sauce/paste will thicken it up. I will save the tomato water for soup. I got a few yellow tomatoes today, so will mix them in as I go.

Off to the kitchen.
Thanks again,
Carrie

o

I don't thumb out the seeds, but I do slice the tomato on its equator (after blanching) and squeeze the two halves into the compost bowl with the skins. That gets most of the seeds and gel out. That stuff gives me heartburn if I leave it in or use it for something else, so I just compost it.

Melissa

o

Can someone tell my why the extension office would recommend not using a pressure canner for this salsa? I haven't used a pressure canner yet so I'm obviously a beginner, but from what I've read, I thought that it was always ok to pressure can food if there were doubts about how acidic they were?

Audrey

o

You'll find the reasoning detailed in many of the discussions here on Annie's Salsa and it is mentioned above.

Basically, it is not prohibited in any way, pressure canning the salsa is allowed. It was just that the extension said not can in it in quarts and that the recipe for the PC'd version (it called for less acid) was never tested so it can't be "recommended" by them.

This does NOT mean that you can't PC the salsa, clearly you can and many do so. But do it with the full 1 c of acid added and only do it in pints.

Their main point was that it shouldn't be done in quarts but for some reason everyone only focuses the part about pressure canning and ignores the rest. ;)

Dave

o

Digdirt,
Perhaps a bit of the confusion has come from your post (I think it was the first response):

NOTE: To repeat what Annie said, the Extension agency no longer recommends canning in quarts or pressure canning her salsa (probably because they don't have the resources to test it). For those who have made it in the past, the pressure canned recipe called for a smaller amount of vinegar.

So, to update, make Annie's salsa with a full cup of vinegar, can only in pints and boiling water bath for 15 minutes. (From Carol)

I interpreted that to mean that we should BWB it, not PC it. I had added that to my notes back in January when you originally posted (that one and my other notes are about the 10th response down).

Then you wrote today:

Basically, it is not prohibited in any way, pressure canning the salsa is allowed. It was just that the extension said not can in it in quarts and that the recipe for the PC'd version (it called for less acid) was never tested so it can't be "recommended" by them.

This does NOT mean that you can't PC the salsa, clearly you can and many do so. But do it with the full 1 c of acid added and only do it in pints.

Their main point was that it shouldn't be done in quarts but for some reason everyone only focuses the part about pressure canning and ignores the rest. ;)

Just trying to clarify, is the "correct" answer (until the new salsa guidelines come out):

1. Either PCing (albeit not "recommended" by the Extension Service, but you are saying it is "allowed") or BWBing is OK if you add the entire 1 cup of vinegar?
2. Is the time still PC pints (or smaller-no quarts) at 10 lbs. pressure for 30 minutes and BWB pints (or smaller-no quarts) for 15 minutes?

No offense intended whatsoever - I really just want to be clear on this point.

o

Malna - let's think about it this way. Why would you NOT be able to safely PC a recipe that is approved safe for BWB?

PC processing is always safer than BWB. Only the texture, not the safety is affected. So, if you take a BWB recipe and instead process it at the weight required for your altitude and for the required amount of time, why would the product not be safe?

If you want added insurance then use the full cup of acid called for in the BWB version of Annie's recipe. That way you can process it either way you want because obviously, if it is safe to BWB it would clearly be safe to PC.

The confusion doesn't come from the posts themselves but from how it is interpreted by the readers. People read into the statement far more than it actually says.

I had saved the PC version of the recipe only (and that is what I copied and pasted in reply to the OP) because personally I would never eat salsa that was only done in a BWB. So I have posted many times about pressure canning Annie's salsa and so has Linda Lou and so have several others. Even NCHFP discusses the available option of pressure canning BWB approved recipes. The only safety issue is for how long to process them.

The post above (note it was in italics) were notes added to my copy of the recipe. The original note was from Carol (thus her attached name), not me.

So bottom line, just because the extension service never tested the salsa in a pressure canner and so cannot officially approve it does not mean that it can't be done. They never said PC'ing it was unsafe (they can't because PC is always safer than BWB) they just said don't do it in quarts and that they can't recommend the PC because they never tested it.

Hope this helps but I honestly don't know how to make it any more clear.

Dave

o

• Posted by luski z7 SW Wa (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 14, 09 at 22:10

"I had saved the PC version of the recipe only (and that is what I copied and pasted in reply to the OP) because personally I would never eat salsa that was only done in a BWB".

Just curious, Dave - with the extra vinegar and processed correctly, why not? Is it a quality or safety concern?

Lu

o

Quick! If I half this recipe do I only use 1/2 of vinegar?? Or do I have to keep it a full cup for the canning purpose??? I don't have a PC so I can't do that and am only making 3 pints....

o

Yes, you'd just use half the vinegar for a half recipe.

o

Just curious, Dave - with the extra vinegar and processed correctly, why not? Is it a quality or safety concern?

It is a safety issue Lu. Too many folks forget that they are working with a very low-acid mix of vegetables, something that would normally require pressure canning, and they experiment with it too much.

Rather than following Annie's delicious and totally safe recipe as it was approved and posted (or using one of the other approved recipes for salsa) to the letter as they should, folks play around with it or make up their own recipes. Just look at all the "can I do/change this in Annie's salsa" posts here.

Since it will be eaten fresh from the jar with no further cooking after opening, salsa MUST be safe when it goes into the jar and is finished processing. And if you can't trust the cook to follow the approved recipe accurately then one has to put their trust into the processing. PC is safer than BWB.

I took an extension course on canning salsas several years back where we did the 3 approved NCHFP recipes (BWB recipes). I thought the instructor was going to pull her hair out trying to get the class members to understand the safety issues and to follow them. Half the class didn't know how to properly measure things. If it was in the ballpark it was fine with them. The old "if 1 cup is good then 2 cups is better" attitude. ;) "But I had all these extra chopped peppers so I just threw them in."

And others kept wanting to add favorite things or leave out things they didn't like. One woman was determined to make hers taste "just like Pace salsa". It was a very depressing experience about the casual attitudes many take to canning safety.

It is for reasons like this (and the popularity of it) that NCHFP continues to do research on salsa canning safety and I expect there to be substantial revisions in the guidelines when the new ones come out.

Dave

o
An unsolicited review

• Posted by dian57 M-H Valley NY-5 (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 16, 09 at 8:44

I smiled when I read someone's comments about consuming a tablespoon of salsa in the past year. I had the other tablespoon.

Still, I needed to know what the Annie's Salsa fuss was all about and collected all the ingredients. I carefully followed the directions and ended up with 6 full pints and about 1 1/2 cups left over for immediate tasting.

While I'm not an expert by any means, I thought it tasted good. My son stopped over to chat. I was in the kitchen when he called to me from the patio--"Hey, Ma, where'd you get this salsa? It's freaking amazing!"

Well, folks, there you have it. That comment made my day, maybe my whole week. It's good to have your efforts appreciated.

Thanks, Annie!!!

Today, the plan is to make more salsa---lots more!

o

Sun, Aug 16, 09 at 19:54

Dian57,

How great you got the "Wow" factor from your son. Makes all the work worth it :-)

o

I'm curious why there is such a long pressure canning processing time vs. BWB.

I realize the original recipe was with less acid added, but if the salsa was to be pressure canned according to the updated recipe and adding a full cup of acid would it really need a full 30 minutes?

I'm curious more in theory and not practice. I have a batch going now in the pressure canner and I'm excited to see how it turns out as I did a BWB batch last week and it was awesome!

BTW I'm using my 3 piece weight for the first time and it's working like a charm! Glad to see my dial gauge is right at 11lbs and very happy I took everyones advice on purchasing the weights.

o

andymath, the original recipe was pressure cannedfor the longest time recommended for any single ingredient. The small amount of vinegar was only for the flavor because it just didn't taste right without it.

Is it safe to pressure can without additional acidity? Maybe. Probably. BUT, it has not been tested and found to be safe by any expert at all. When I was working on that recipe, salsa was still canned in quarts and now those are not considered safe, so I don't can salsa in quarts. I know the National Center for Home Food Preservation is working on acidity guidelines for salsa and so the recommendation as to the amount of vinegar in the BWB recipe will probably change too and I'll change and adapt when and if that happens. As more information becomes available, I adjust my recipes and my viewpoints based on whatever new information there is.

As Dave pointed out, the recipe as written is safe to BWB. However, too many people change this or that, add more of something, leave things out, soon the recipe isn't the same recipe any more. Since salsa is consumed without any heating before eating, the only factor keeping the stuff safe is the acidity ratio.

So can away, BWB or pressure canner, it's fine. Just watch that acidity ratio!

Annie

So

o

Thanks for the reply Annie. I should have asked my question a little differently as I read it now and it's a little unclear.

In theory, if using the new guidelines and pressure canning as well wouldn't the processing time be able to be shortened? Again, this is just in thought as it is not my intention to stray from the recipe. My plan is to stick with BWB for 15 or PC for 30 both with the recommended 1 cup of acid.

It just seemed to me that if it is safe to process for 15 minutes in a BWB then the same recipe PC could be done in less than 30.

Not sure why I'm even curious about this, I guess it just popped into my head as I was chopping (and chopping and chopping :)) and I thought I'd see what others thought. Thanks

Andy

o

My husband and I made the salsa today - and wow - it is SO good!

Just a quick question though. We used jarred tomato sauce which only came in a 15 oz container. We otherwise followed the recipe exactly - it should be safe for canning right? I'm thinking that just a 1 oz. reduction in sauce (with the same amount of cider vinegar - 1 cup) will only up the acidity - which isn't a bad thing.... We then did the BWB method with pint and half pint jars, all processed for 15 minutes.

I *think* it will be safe, but please chime in and let me know if otherwise - thanks!

-Kay

o

Yes, from what I've read (and believe me I've read as much as I've chopped!!) the canned products in Annie's salsa are for texture and flavor only, not safety. I canned 75 pints yesterday. As I was endlessly chopping and skinning I was wondering if the salsa was worth it. One taste and I remembered that it definitely is the best salsa I've ever had. Our whole family loves it and if Annie is reading this, THANKYOU so much for all your work. Today I'm prepping for the roasted tomato garlic soup to process tomorrow. YIPPIE!!

o

Yeah a 1 oz. reduction in the sauce is no problem at all.

Dave

o

75 pints? Im exhausted from doing 6 pints salsa and 4 pints applesauce.

o

Ok, I can't even imagine how long it would take to prep and can 75 pints! Truly inspiring....

o

Well, I just finished up with 96 jars. My feet are killing me.

74 - 4oz jars for the wedding in the spring, the rest are for us. I think I'll use up the last of the 37lb of tomatoes tomorrow with one more batch - really hot, for the guys! My DS, his fiance, and SIL came over today and we chopped and chopped and chopped. They are my heroes.

I got an alligator dicer from Target the other day - what a time saver it is. Kind of caught me by surprise. I started with the onions, until my son took over. Then I tried it on the tomatoes and it's wonderful. Last year I worked on tomatoes for hours - this year, I could do 8 cups in just a few minutes. As long as you take the tomatoes out of the simmering water and rinse them in cold water right away to peel, they stay firm and cut into chunks with no problems. Having the right equipment sure helps.

o

I certainly can't take all the chopping credit for my 75 glorious pints, that are still out on the counter, for admiration sake! I have 4 kids who chop right along side me and I had already made up 3 large freezer baggies with four times the recipe in each one. The only work I had to do yesterday was get the bags out of the freezer, and do the tomatoes. Prepping like that made a HUGE difference.

o

Thank you all soooo much for the comments. I made my first batch of annies salsa and it was not good. to much vinegar. I'm new to canning. I will try these other ideas on the next batch.

o

vschlaff, I pressure canned my first batches because I was trying to get rid of some of the vinegar, then I found that my family actually likes it with all that vinegar in there.

Some other people have had good luck replacing the vinegar with lemon or lime juice, which is perfectly acceptable. One of those options might work for you too.

Annie

o

Mon, Aug 24, 09 at 11:06

The first batches we made were too "vinegary" as well. We've tweaked our personal taste to 1/2 cup cider vinegar, 1/4 cup lemon juice and 1/4 cup lime juice (both bottled, BTW). That seems to work the best for us.

o

Just wanted to say thanks for a fantastic recipe. I made some of Annie's Salsa last night and brought a sample to share with my co workers. They are raving about the results and everyone wants the recipe. Also thanks to Malna for the notes. They were very helpful.

o

Great recipe Annie!!! I made the salsa last year ans it was to vinagery for my taste. Annie told me how to fix this so, this year i tried 1/2 cup of lemon juice, 1/3 cup lime juice and 1/3 cup of cider vinager. It turned out great!!!

o

I made the salsa using the lime and lemon juice from the produce section. Is it still ok?

o

We just canned 6 1/2 pints of this delicious salsa. I am sure that the recipe made more than 7 pints, we sampled it extensively while it was in the fridge waiting to be canned. We modified it to suit southwestern/California tastes. After reading the whole 150 response thread on this salsa I knew about the safe substitutions, which were nicely compiled by Malna here too.

I used 100% garden tomatoes. For the chunks, we used a mix of green when ripe, golden, blacks and orange tomatoes. The sauce and paste was substituted by our own sauce (almost 32 ounces) that we made milling oxheart red tomatoes. The salsa was plenty thick like that, we would not want it any thicker.

I used our own grown onions for this. I also used about 1 cup of our chopped sweet green peppers, and made up the remainder with a mix of serranos, jalapenos and chiles pequins that were ripe enough. I do not care for black pepper in my salsa, so I substituted the 2 tbsp black pepper for red pepper: 1 tbsp ground dried pequin powder, and 1 tbsp ground up dried smoked red jalapenos. They were all our own peppers preserved from last fall. We omitted the sugar too.

The garlic, salt, cumin, and cider vinegar were from the store, everything else we grew. We do need to work on growing that garlic...

The salsa was very flavorful, great texture and colors. It was just hot enough for DH, maybe slightly too wimpy for me and my Vietnamese and Mexican friends. However, I figure it is fine just as it is (good for the general public in California) and I can always add some more minced pequins or datils with the fresh cilantro when we serve it to people that like it hot.

o

I made the salsa using the lime and lemon juice from the produce section. Is it still ok?

The instructions call for bottled lime or lemon juice, not fresh. That requirement - bottled rather than fresh - is pretty much standard across the board just as the standard in canning is vinegar with 5% acidity. There are only a few exceptions.

ReaLemon or ReaLime bottled juices are the standard recommended brand because of its boosted and stabilized acidity. Many off brands of both are actually quite low in acid.

Dave

o

Okay, now I'm nervous!

I used bottled lime juice for my 3 batches of Annie's Salsa but I never knew ReaLemon and ReaLime is the recommended brand?! I used a grocery store brand - 1/2 cup w/ 1/2 cup cider vinegar - the same as I did last year.

I looked on the label and cannot find the acidity. Please don't tell me I need to dump them out.....

o

Probably ok but if there is no acidity on the label I'd call the maker to find it out. And ask them if it is stabilized too. You can always freeze it.

For some reason there seems to be a run here lately of folks using generic or unusual brands that provide no label info and so they are having to call to find out. Just as with vinegars and all the folks discovering that their cheap vinegar is only 3 or 4% or less, you get what you pay for.

Dave

o

Thanks, Dave. I'll check into it.

The lime juice I bought was the only kind they carried, which I thought was unusual for such a large store. Probably just trying to push the store brand to make a few cents.

I'll shop around to make sure I get the the name brand stuff for future batches.

o

Now I've made a mistake - I was so busy chopping and measuring to make sure I didn't go over on peppers and onions (I didn't put enough onion in last time) that I forgot the garlic! Also forgot to burp the jars, and since I skipped the sauce and put in 12oz of paste instead, the salsa's pretty thick. Should I reprocess (I see big air bubbles rising to the top in a couple of jars), or just refrigerate? Not enough headspace to freeze.

If I do refrigerate, would it be best to break the seals on all the jars? We've got about a month's worth of salsa here - don't know if it would be OK to leave them sealed in the fridge for that long.

o

Your choice - reprocess (assuming less than 24 hours old) and add the missing ingredients an dilute it or remove some from each jar and freeze it.

Did you leave the sauce out on purpose or by accident? It really is needed in the recipe to avoid density safety problems so if you decide to reprocess you really need to add that sauce. The paste is an option but the sauce provides both acidity and helps reduce the density.

Dave

o

Thanks - the notes someone posted to the recipe said the sauce was optional, so I just added the paste this time (last time I didn't have paste and the sauce made it too thin). I guess I'll reprocess - it's only been out of the water an hour.

How thick is too thick?

o
Use tomato juice instead of canned sauce?

Actually, I have a lot of juice from the drained tomatoes that I saved (hoping to make "V-8" type juice for DH) - would it be safe to add say a cup of this back in (for 4 pints - I didn't process the last pint, just gave it to my uncle to stick in his fridge)?

Or so I need canned tomato sauce? How much (recipe calls for up to 2C, I don't know how much is needed for safety)?

Thanks

o

Best to check with Annie then because as far as I know the paste is optional - Annie has said that many times - but the sauce isn't or the salsa is too think for canning. There have been several recent discussions about how too-thick salsa isn't safe to can. It is supposed to be soupy or it is too dense for safe heat penetration.

I do recall telling someone that the salt is optional - that is clear - and I think it was you that asked before about using the salt-free tomato sauce and I said that was fine. But I sure didn't say you could leave out the sauce completely.

But that sort of confusion is what happens when folks try to fool around with the recipe rather than just making it as it is written like they should. ;(

Have no idea how much sauce would be needed now. 4 pints is approx. half a recipe so I'd guess approx. 1 cup. More sure isn't going to hurt if needed to make it the consistency it is supposed to be. And there is no reason you can't use some of the juice too if needed as long as everything is going back into the pot and re-processed from that point.

Dave

o

No, I wasn't the one that asked about salt-free sauce, or leaving the salt out. When I made my first batch last Friday I found my can of paste was "bulgy" so I didn't use it and the salsa came out too thin for our tastes.

I did send Annie an email.

In your opinion, could I add a cup of the drained (reserved) juice back in, or would I have to use something more acidic (maybe 1/2C cider vinegar)?

Maybe I shouldn't have given my uncle the unprocessed pint (or more? Peanut Butter jar plus another cup or so in a bowl). Would make it easier to figure out how to fix it.

Worst case I'll open the 28oz jar of sauce and we'll have spaghetti tonight ;-)

o
Pace chunky

I found an 8oz can of sauce in my pantry, so will reprocess with that (and 1 Tbsp of minced garlic). But just for future reference, this batch looks to be about the same thickness as the Pace chunky I have in my pantry (1 of the 4 pints is a little looser). So is that OK for home-canned (1C ReaLime) or is that too thick?

o

I decided to try making Annies salsa, having seen so many mentions of it in the forums. I used the recipe at the top of this thread, and I used cider vinegar/lemon juice/white vinegar together totalling the one cup. I have a question, though. Part way down this thread I spotted the discussion about measuring the tomatoes. I measured out 8 cups after peeling/seeding/draining and chopping, not realizing that I should have measured the cups out before I did the finer chopping and draining. I processed in BWB for 15 minutes, and I used half pint jars rather than pint. Will my salsa still be safe even though I messed up a bit on the order in which I measured tomatoes?

o

maybe the half pint jars at the pint time will offset things? lets see what the experts think.

o

Hi there. I hate to beat a dead horse but again there is an Annie's Salsa question. Actually not a question, I've made this fantastic, unbeatable salsa for the past two years and just want to confirm that as of this date the vinegar measurement has stayed at 1 cup per batch? (or variations of lemon juice, lime juice & vinegar etc.)
I see that the last comment on here from Annie was back in August of 2009 & she was waiting on the NCHFP to possibly make changes again. So, I'm just wanting to 'keep it safe' and make sure that no major changes have come up before I get to choppin'
Thanks =)
Pepper

o

I've been checking the NCHFP's salsa recipes, and they haven't changed theirs for at least two years. I'm "assuming" there haven't been any major changes in the vinegar measurements to date.

o

Thanks for the question, I was just checking in too to make sure of no changes, I will be using the last Annie salsa recipe i have and put that in the post, so hoping that is the safest version! I love it and so does my whole family! I posted the latest recipe I have under "salsa info"
So if it is all ago, I hope to be making some salsa soon, everything is way late in my garden!

o

I know this is an old thread but I just started getting into canning because of my prolific garden this year and wanted to say that this recipe is great! I ended up using my new pressure canner as a BWB and made 6 pints with just enough left over to try. Its a hit already. My first time canning and all 6 sealed! Great recipe Annie! :)

o

Well we are in 2013 now and I just wanted to check back to be sure there were never any salsa updates that would have impacted this recipe?? Otherwise, I'll assume it stands at 1 cup vinegar (lemon juice/etc.).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here