Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myfamilysfarm

Candied dill pickles?

myfamilysfarm
9 years ago

I was asked last weekend for Candied dill pickles. The only recipes that I've found online called for already processed dill pickles, then add sugar and refrigerate.

I will be making from scratch, so does anyone have a recipe for them?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Comments (5)

• lizgross144
    9 years ago

Do you just mean sweet dill pickles...like bread and butter?

• CA Kate z9
    9 years ago

Cherry Pickles

1 qt dill pickles with NO! garlic. ( I use Vlasik . If there is garlic these taste gaud-awful.). Drain, rinse and cut as desired. I just tip the jar over a strainer leaving the pickles in the glass jar.

2 cups sugar
    2/3 cup cider vinegar
    2 generous Tablespoons pickling spices

Boil mixture of sugar, vinegar and spices for 1 minute. Allow to sit 5 minutes. Put pickles into a glass jar ( if you didn't use the original one). Pour the hot liquid through a strainer (to remove the spices) into the jar over the dill pickles; screw down the lid tightly and allow to cool on counter top. When cool refrigerate. It will keep for months refrigerated.

You can use the same recipe for Cherry Pickled Beets using
    2 15 ounce cans of sliced beets.
    Method is the same as above.

• myfamilysfarm
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The customer called them 'candied dills'. I need to find out if adding a bit of sugar to my dill recipe will change it from a canning recipe to a refrigerator. All the recipes that I've found are like the above recipe, where is previously processed dill are used. thanks westelle, but that is a refrigerator recipe.

I know add spices won't change it, but will sugar?

I'm going to experiment with a small quantity (for our own use) and if need be, we can refrigerate.

I make LOTS of Bread and Butter, with sugar and some with splenda, both tastes really good.

• CA Kate z9
    9 years ago

The recipe I gave is also referred to as Sweet (Sugar) Dills. In. The Midwest these are always made with already-made/processed Dill Pickles, let to sit a day or two before needed, and then served cold. I use to make my own Dills, but don't so much anymore and so use commercial pickled products. I've never heard of these being made, then processed.

• berrybusy
    9 years ago

I would suggest looking into a "Lazy Wife" pickle. They generally use a "bread and butter"-style brine of sugar and vinegar. The one I inherited calls for seasoning with celery sticks mixed in with the dill pickle spears and a head or two of dill (or dill seed could be used). I saw a recipe that called for a slice of onion at the bottom of the jar and might give that a try.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES