Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ailidespain

Tomatillo recipe ideas

AiliDeSpain
9 years ago

I have been harvesting lots of tomatillos lately and am curious as to what I can use them for. There's a tasty cilantro tomatillo Ranch dressing that I use them in but I'm getting to the point of having to freeze my harvest. Please share your tomatillo recipes! !

Comments (21)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

For fresh use or for canning/preserving?

For fresh use they can be subbed in any recipe you'd normally use tomatoes - baked, fired, salsa, etc. NCHFP has a good Tomatillo Salsa recipe that may be eaten fresh or canned or frozen.

These previous discussions contain several recipes too.

They also freeze and dehydrate easily for later use.

Dave

PS: and don't forget to search over on the cooking forums here too as last time I looked they had several recipe discussions for them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Tomatillo Sala

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Roasted Salsa :

Chop onions, tomatillos into similar sized hunks, stir them up with some olive oil and chopped garlic and broil them until they are starting to brown.

Run through a food processor (pulsing) until they are coarsely chopped

Add cilantro, lime juice, oregano, salt, pepper to taste
    Or use Basil for an italianate flavor

Great as a relish with chiucken or fish or pork.

• Anne Wolfley
    9 years ago

I love this recipe: Tomatillo chicken stew

• malna
    9 years ago

Yum, I'll have to try the Tomatillo Chicken Stew - sounds really good. Thanks for the recipe link.

After we've made tomatillo salsa (Ball recipe), canned a few pints plain (NCHFP recipe), and eaten ourselves silly on fresh ones, we roast a big batch and freeze it in roughly 1 cup portions to use in recipes all winter.

Having lived in Texas for a while, we adore Mexican food, and we can't get tomatillos in the grocery store. Glad we figured out last year they are really easy to grow and preserve so well.

• AiliDeSpain
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions! !!

• balloonflower
    9 years ago

Stew sounds good. Anyone got one for a pork green chile sauce? Would love to PC that, but haven't found anything yet.

• canfan
    9 years ago

I am not one who does much pc but here is a recipe I came across that sounded good to me...others here on HF are more in tune with pc methods to advise you on any issues that you may need to be aware of ... http://www.sbcanning.com/2012/10/canning-pork-chili-verde.html

• balloonflower
    9 years ago

Thank you. Sounds pretty much like what I was thinking of trying, though I think I would choose to use more tomatillos. Can anyone address the safety of this--I'm just starting to pressure can, and will freeze unless I get a specific answer.

• AiliDeSpain
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So I tried a roasted tomatillo salsa recipe and while the flavor is good it has a bitter note, is this characteristic of tomatillos? Linked below is the recipe I used.

Here is a link that might be useful: roasted salsa verde

• annie1992
    9 years ago

This is one of my favorite recipes, it's from Ann T on the Cooking Forum. I make big batches of the sauce when my tomatillos are ready and freeze it, it cannot be canned.

Stacked Enchiladas -Ann T
    ==================
    Source: Southwest Cookbook
    Here is the recipe Helene for the Stacked Enchiladas. I see no reason why you couldn't layer these over lapping in a lasagna pan and then slice to serve. You will have to double the ingredients for the sauce as well as the fillings.

Vegetable oil for frying
    12 corn tortillas (6 inches)
    1 1/2 cups (12 fl ounces) green Chili Sauce (recipe on page 195)
    2 cups (8 ounces) grated Monterey Jack or Cheddar Cheese
    3/4 cups finely chopped onion

Preheat oven to 350�F. Pour vegetable oil into a medium , heavy skilled to depth of 1/2 inch. Heat the oil over medium high heat to 375�F, or until a strip of tortilla browns in 60 seconds. Soften the tortillas, one at a time, for about 5 seconds per side in the hot oil and drain on paper towels.

Heat the green chili sauce in a shallow pan and dip each softened tortilla into the sauce. Place 1 coated tortilla on an oven proof plate and top with 1 tablespoons green cili sauce, 2 tablespoons grated cheese and 1 tablespoon chopped onion; repeat twice so that 1 serving contains 3 layered tortillas. Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 4 tortilla stacks. Bake the stacks for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the cheese melts.

NOTE: Add cooked chicken and or pinto or black beans between layers.

Green Chili Sauce
    1 Jalapeno chili seeded and diced
    1 garlic clove crushed
    1/4 cup chopped green onions
    4 tomatillos, husked and diced (or use canned)
    1 1/2 cups chicken stock
    2 new Mexico green or Anaheim chilies, roasted, peeled, cored, seeded and diced.
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
    1 tablespoon heavy cream
    salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

In a medium saucepan, place the jalapeno , garlic, green onions, tomatillos and chicken stock. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat' reduce heat and simmer until theliquid is reduced to about 1 cup about 15 to 20 minutes.
    Pour the chicken stock mixture into a blender or food processor.
    Add the Anaheim chilies, cilantro and lime juice; puree until smooth. Add salt and pepper. Add the cream and mix again. Serve warm. Keep 1 to 2 days refrigerated.

Servings: 4

Annie

• seysonn
    9 years ago

They also make very crunchy pickles along with green/unripe tomatoes.

• nancyjane_gardener
    9 years ago

Hmmmm, went to a 100 YO Italian restaurant last night that had tiny un-ripe tomatillos in the salad!
    I wasn't impressed!
    I like to make the salsa verde and freeze it.
    I might try a few RIPE ones in a salad. Nancy

• canfan
    9 years ago

That is different... would not eat a tomatilo raw... Maybe a ground cherry which is similar but much smaller.

• dgkritch
    9 years ago

I make green chili salsa with tomatillos and then just pop a jar in the blender to make a green sauce for Pork Verde.

Deanna

• nancyjane_gardener
    9 years ago

Canfan, maybe that's what it was ( I didn't know there was a difference between G Cherries and Tomatillos). Anyway I still wasn't impressed! LOL Nancy

• KSprairie
    9 years ago

The NCHFP recipe for Green Tomatillo Salsa uses long green chiles. Would this be the Hatch green chile?
    We don't get those around here, so I am looking for a decent substitution. Would Anaheims work? Any others?

Is the taste of this salsa the same fresh as it would be a month or two after it has been canned?

Thank you!

• Baby G (USDA:10a, Sunset:21&23 SoCal-NE. Mt Washington, Lo-Chill: 200-400 Hrs, So
    9 years ago

I eat tomatillos all of the time raw. I have no idea if that's the right or wrong way to eat them, but they taste good!

Before they are ripe, they are slightly spicy, kinda tomatoesque with a mild hot pepper pepper essence, after they are ripe they are milder, almost like an apple.

I have actually never cooked one. They go into salsas, sandwiches, whatever - raw.

There's no danger there, right?

• canfan
    9 years ago

KSPrarie... any pepper can be used. The anaheims are the ones I'd most likely use. I did plant some Big Jim's too though so I'd probably use either of the ones I mentioned. Just keep the measurements for peppers the same.

• KSprairie
    9 years ago

canfan, thanks for the advice. Anaheims it is. It looks like I will have a bumper crop of tomatillos, I may try several different canning recipes for salsa and see what we end up liking the best.

• canfan
    9 years ago

SKPrairie Our family likes the taste of tomatillos... here is a handy web page that talks about tomatoes, peppers, tomatillos and spices.. Includes some recipes... too..

http://extension.usu.edu/utah/files/uploads/Recipes-Cooking-Canning/Salsa%20Recipes%20for%20Canning.pdf

• Slimy_Okra
    9 years ago

I prefer Pasilla peppers in salsa.