Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jen1996_gw

canning pickles questions

jen1996
11 years ago

Hi all. I made my first batch of pickles last night. I am a bit nervous about it.

I used this recipe http://www.foodchannel.com/recipes/recipe/canning-dill-pickles/

In one jar I added a little pickling spice mix the rest just what was listed.

And followed these instructions

http://www.pickyourown.org/makingpickles.htm

Things seem ok so far. The sides of the jars have salt residue but i think the lids are properly sealed.

In the above instructions it says you can remove the rings or you should at least loosen. I did not do this last night. Should I do it now? Does loosening the lids ever break the seal?

Also re storing. I plan on putting them in the basement but worry about critters climbing all over the jars . Can i put the jars inside plastic bins with lids?

Thanks

Jen

Comments (5)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

First, at 2:3 that food channel recipe falls a bit below the recommended safe minimum of 1:1 for vinegar to water ratio in the brine. As an untested recipe, use it at your own risk.

Second, you always remove the rings/bands prior to putting the jars in storage. The standard recommendation is to wait 12-24 hours before removing them. Never store jars with the rings on.

Third, yes you can put the jars in containers with lids. Not really necessary and most don't since you wash the jars before opening them. But if it makes you feel better to do it, no problems.

Did you use 5% vinegar and adjust processing time for your altitude?

You'd be better served by sticking to NCHFP and the approved books as the source of your recipes. There are many unsafe recipes and canning instructions on the web.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Pickling

• jen1996
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes I used 5%. I probably processed longer than what ball suggests. I am near the coast and cooked for 7 minutes then removed from heat and let set for 5 minutes in the bath.

Thanks for the info re rings. Wht do you never store with rings on? Once you open the jars later, do you put the rings back on?

Since recipe is below safety standards, I think with this batch i will just use them as refidgerator pickles.

I will do another batch next week and use a safer recipe.

Thanks

Jen

• jen1996
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Would the pickles i made be ok to just put in the refrigerator and eat soon or is it still possibly unsafe?

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

They are UNDER-processed so will have to be treated as refrig pickles now and yes they will be safe to store in the fridge for approx. 3-4 weeks.

The processing time for pints is 10 min, for quarts 15 min and time "sitting" in the BWB doesn't count.

You never store ANY home canned foods with the rings on. Once you open the jar you can put a ring back on or you can buy the plastic screw on lids made for the canning jars to use.

Check out all the FAQs on basic canning guidelines at NCHFP.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP

• jen1996
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh my gosh. I think I misunderstood Ball 's instructions. I think maybe the 5 minuted I got was supposted to be 5 additional minutes. I put them all in the fridge. We actually opened them all up (3 jars).
    They were really good actually.

Thanks for the info re NCHFP. I will read through the guidelines before I do the next batch.

Jen