Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
old Mirro canner leaking with new gasket

Posted by lachase z6IN (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 25, 10 at 11:21

My old Mirro canner wouldn't seal, so I bought a new gasket. Just tried it out and noticed that there is still water/steam coming out particularly around one of the handles where the lock mechanism seems to be. Now I'm wondering if the problem isn't in that apparatus. Has anyone heard of this? I am wondering how to fix this or if I should just go buy a new canner which I hate to do as they are so expensive. I would appreciate any insight on my problem if anyone has any ideas or have had this problem.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: old Mirro canner leaking with new gasket

You may find the thread below helpful, especially since you mentioned leaking around the handle.

In addition to the tips in the thread, examine your gasket carefully and try reversing it. Sometimes a gasket will work in one direction and not the other.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Leaking Mirro Pressure Canner

o

Also try applying a VERY light coating of oil on the gasket (just the outer part, no need to get it down into the groove), wipe it off and see if it helps. Sometimes at the first of the season I need to do this. It moistens the gasket just a bit so it is flexible enough to conform the the shape it needs to.

Deanna

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 27, 10 at 10:47

My Mirro that I use for cooking, not canning, with the lid lock mechanism has begun to occasionally not seal where lock meets lid...

This was all I've found, and has worked so far but I wonder if that isn't kind of a dumb design, think I would find it frustrating if mine were a size for canned goods rather than something I cook in just a few times a year.

"If steam continues to leak around the lid at the site of one of the handles of a Mirro canner that has a lid lock mechanism under the handles, it is because the lid lock mechanism has not seated itself completely. You may be able to remedy this by gently shaking or moving the canner from side to side. If that fails, you will need to let the pressure return to zero naturally, open the canner and jiggle the lid lock mechanism and dry the area around the mechanism."

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here