Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fermenting Pickles doing NADA!

Posted by gardengrl Northern Virginia (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 11, 11 at 11:24

I have a 5 gal crock of garlic pepper dills "fermenting" away in my cellar. Problem is, they haven't done anything in the past three weeks...no yeastie beasties, no foaming, no bubbles, nada. I've made sauerkraut before, which bubbled away quite nicely, but these pickles aren't doing anything that I "expect".

I'm using a Linda Zeidrich recipe. They're also VERY salty. They taste yummy, just very salty.

So, I'm wondering if fermenting is taking a looooooong time, which explains the no-action, plus the saltiness?

How will I know when these are done? They are defintely not "cucumbery" on the inside....a slight olive green.

Anyway, I'm babbling on.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fermenting Pickles doing NADA!

If they taste like you want (except for the salty part) then they may be done. My fermented pickles are never as active as kraut is. Plus what is the air temp in the cellar? 70-75 works best for me. Cooler air temps tend to be very slow.

They are done when they taste good to you. :)

Dave

o

As Dave said, if you like them, they're fine. Sometimes fermentation is very slow or at such a low level it's hard to discern. I'm guessing it's cool temperatures affecting the fermentation. Cool enough and foods won't ferment at all, but that's hard to imagine outside a fridge in the summer.

Carol

o

Thanks everyone. Also, since these are SOOOO salty, should I can them in a finishing brine? What can I do to make them less salty?

o

You can process in a finishing brine. Also, after you've opened a jar you could take that quart and place those pickles in clear water to leach out excess salt. There are some previous threads about using this method to correct overly salty pickles.

Carol

o

Sometimes it takes multiple soakings in fresh warm water to level out the salty flavor. We have done some in 3 changes of really warm water over a 24 hour period, tasted, and only then processed in the finishing brine.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here