Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brenda55_gw

Aluminum Stock Pot, for pickles & squash ???

brenda55
15 years ago

I am starting Linda Lou's sweet pickles recipe, which we love, and I picked up alot of pickling cukes yesterday, but don't have enough crocks. I do have a large aluminum stock pot. Can I use that for soaking the pickles and then for soaking in brine?

Also, I would love some good suggestions about preserving summer squash. I have an abundance and am not sure how is the best way to preserve it. DH loves fried squash, so don't know if I can slice and freeze or what. Or for casseroles later or any good suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks so much for your help!

Brenda

Comments (6)

• readinglady
    15 years ago

Don't use the aluminum pot. For pickling you need a non-reactive container. That would be stainless steel (though some stainless will pit if the salt isn't totally dissolved in the brine), glass or food-safe plastic.

You can often get food-safe buckets or large canisters from local bakeries, fast-food outlets, etc.

Summer squash freezes beautifully. Here's a link to a previous thread on freezing summer squash. If you enter "summer squash" (including the quotes) in the search window, lots of threads on summer squash will come up. Contained within them are many recipes.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: How do I Put up Squash for the Freezer?

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Aluminum in general I'd say, no. It depends on the pans of course as some are steel or Teflon lined. But in my experience, it can interact with the food and with vinegar and some spices. Changes the color and the taste. No big glass bowls you could use?

NCHFP says: "Do not use aluminum, copper,
    brass, galvanized or iron containers for fermenting
    pickles or sauerkraut."

Summer squash isn't supposed to be canned except as pickles but yes you can freeze it well. We make thick slices, blanch them for 3 minutes over steam, cool in iced water, coat with seasoned cornmeal (we add Cavender's and a bit of flour to ours but you can also use garlic powder or salt or onion powder or any dried spices you like), lay them out on cookie sheets individually in the freezer to freeze, and once frozen we put the slices in serving sized ziplock freezer bags.

Dave

• brenda55
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Carol and Dave for your quick response. One more question, please, regarding freezing the slices in cornmeal, do you defrost before frying?

Thanks again for your help!

Brenda

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

No, if you defrost they turn to slime and mushy. Fry frozen. Same is true for most anything you would freeze for later cooking such as green or lima beans, tomatoes, etc. Thawing first ruptures the cells in the food. ;)

Dave

• brenda55
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Dave for the response on freezing/frying.

Brenda

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

Use NON REACTIVE pots for ALL DIRECT food contact. Avoid aluminium of any kind, unless its just to boil water and/or pressure can the jars. Aluminium can release toxins which are still not 100% safe, and can be linked ot many health issues. The same with ALUM, which is also not recommedend much anymore. Even a pot that has lids simmering should not be aluminium as the rubber compound seal now has open pores that can abosorb the minerals while the sealing counpound is hot in water.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio