Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ailidespain

Want to spice up zucchini pickle recipe

AiliDeSpain
10 years ago

I am making zucchini pickles using the recipe out of ball's blue book. I have made them before and they are VERY good but I want to spice them up a bit. What is the best way to accomplish this?
TIA!!

Comments (8)

• Linda_Lou
    10 years ago

Spice them up, as in some heat ? If so, use dried red chili flakes or a whole dried red chili in each jar.

• AiliDeSpain
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes add heat. Could I use one fresh jalapeno per jar?

• Linda_Lou
    10 years ago

Since the brine is all vinegar, then it will be fine.

• AiliDeSpain
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How would you do it slice it or whole? With or without seeds?

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Agree that since the brine is all straight vinegar in this case using a fresh pepper will be fine. But that is not always the case.

You can always add dried ingredients/spices/herbs but you cannot add fresh ingredients without changing the pH. So if you used a recipe that called for diluted vinegar, as many do, then the fresh pepper would be a no.

You'll find you get much more zest, more heat, from the dried red pepper flakes than you will from the jalapeno however.

Dave

This post was edited by digdirt on Mon, Jul 29, 13 at 14:32

• AiliDeSpain
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I see, thank you! I am learning so much about preserving! So far I am loving it!

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

How would you do it slice it or whole? With or without seeds?

The zest of the pepper is inside - in the membranes and the seeds - so if left whole you won't get much benefit. I would slice it and leave the seeds in.

Dave

PS: Have you explored all the resources at NCHFP yet? It is the primary authority on home food preservation.

• AiliDeSpain
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dave, yes I have perused the site. I also bought ball's blue book so that and this forum have been my main sources of info.