Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cannerintraining

how do I can/dry/store black beans????

cannerintraining
17 years ago

Hi all. I am new here and after spending 3 days surfing the web for info I decided to join here and seek help.

Here is my problem. I thought it would be fun to grow black beans. It is fun, they have grown very easily. Now they are begginning to turn yellow and the beans inside are black.

My question is now what do I do??

is it best to dry them, freeze, or can. And what steps do I take.

BTW I even called the Ball Jar company and they had no idea.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Bethany

(aka: canner in training)

Comments (10)

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

Usually once the pods turn, you can harvest. They are fine dried if you like. Its probably the easiest thing to do with them. I don't know much more about a black bean, but suggest that you go to the newly created forum for LEGUMES and BEANS. There, you might find more info. Canning would require a pressure canner. Freezing can be done after a blanching.

• CA Kate z9
    17 years ago

Let them dry until the shell dries to "paper", then shell them. I also think storing them dry in a jar would be easiest and then can be used as desired.

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

If the pods are yellow it's too late to can them as shellie beans, because they already are drying out. So let them go all the way, and store them as dry beans.

If you want to can some next year, harvest them when the pods are filled out, but haven't changed color yet. Beans need to be processed in a pressure canner.

If for some reason you can't let them dry on the vine (such as too much moisture, or threatening frosts, or what have you), shuck the beans into open-weave baskets and let them air-dry thoroughly, stirring once or twice a day.

To tell if a bean is dry enough, put one on a hard surface and strike it with a hammer. If it shatters it's ready to be stored. If it just sort of mushes, it needs more drying time.

Storing beans is one of the ways those half-gallon Mason jars really come into their own.

Do you need recipes for those black beans?

• jimster
    17 years ago

"Do you need recipes for those black beans?"

I do. In a Cuban restaurant, I had a side dish of exceptionally good black beans. They were plain (cooked with seasonings of course) and served in just some of the pot likker.

These beans were perfect -- beautiful, glossy black with no dominating flavor, just a nice satisfying beany taste. I've tried to duplicate them and haven't quite succeeded. I doubt there is any secret about the ingredients. It's a simple dish. The secret must be in the method of preparation and attention to detail,

Any hints would be appreciated.

Jim

• cannerintraining
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I would LOVE recipes! Thanks! And thanks for the suggestions! I think I will try letting them dry on the vine and then place them in a basket to conclude the drying process.
    By letting them vine dry won't I stop production? I though they only kept producing if you removed the pods?
    Bethany

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

That's correct. But if you pick them when they're leathery, and finish drying in baskets, the vines will quickly set new flowers and fruit.

Beans have a maximum fruit-load point, which is why they stop producing once you let them dry. But if you pick some, you make room for more to grow.

Horticulturally it's more complex than that. But in practical terms, it's that simple.

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

The same is true of cucumbers. If you notice that your cukes are not producing, look for a few 'watermelons', and that usually will get them growing again once you remove these big, overgrown ones.

• corgi-mom
    16 years ago

Great information! My first time try at black beans has been a prolific experience.... I have begun to shuck them - the pods are drying and beans turning black. I will put them in a basket as suggested. Would love some of the recipes, too! Thanks

Karen in SC

• julese
    15 years ago

Would I be able to can my black beans that I cooked fresh from the bag? If so, I would like to know how.

Thank you, Julese Cepero

• robin_d
    15 years ago

Here's how, it's easy - I canned a bunch of black beans just a couple days ago. :-)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting