Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnibel7

Anyone make their own garlic powder? Tips?

sunnibel7 Md 7
11 years ago

I have an over-abundance of garlic this year, some of which I don't think will store long and my husband loves garlic powder. I already tried one small batch, but the process was more work than I thought and I was wondering if there were other ways that were easier.

Following instructions from someone's blog, I ran peeled cloves through the slicer on the food processer to (supposedly) easily slice them to even thickness. Those I dehydrated until brittle, then ran them through the blender to make powder. The powder was pushed through a sieve, and any too large chunks were sent through the blender again. The result is definitely tasty, but the process was just too much. For one thing, my processer has a little gap, so the garlic was not evenly thick, so dehydrating took extra watching, and probably made for lots of extra sieving and blendering.

What if I crushed the garlic and dehydrated that? Would I lose a lot of flavor? Would the food processer do a better job of breaking up the dry garlic into powder? Any help would be great!

Comments (11)

• dgkritch
    11 years ago

That's exactly what I was going to suggest. Make a paste first, then dehydrate and powder that.
    I haven't done this, so not first hand experience, but if you have lots of garlic, why not try some?

Deanna

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I'm giving it a try. Have to say that using a crusher wasn't all that much easier and the result seemed pretty sticky. But if the flavor is good and the result powders easily, it will be an overall gain. Now just to wait for the dehydrator to do its thing...

• uaskigyrl
    11 years ago

How about instead of a blender or food processor, you use a coffee grinder? I find a coffee grinder is better for small items that need to be pulverized that will just jump around in a blender...my guess is that you won't have to push it through a seive because it will come out so fine...

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ah, that might indeed be better, especially since the 2nd batch somehow turned rock hard. Not sure why, maybe the type of garlic used. I wonder how hard it would be to get the coffee flavor out of the grinder we keep on hand for guests... And then the flavor of garlic after that...

Anyhow, crushing garlic by hand wasn't less work, alas. The flavor is great. And while I was at it I dehydrated some slices of sweet onion, which were to die for at the leathery stage... Drying them to crispy drove out some of the flavor or something.

• david52 Zone 6
    11 years ago

I've found that if you add some salt, it really helps the process along. The salt helps draw out the moisture from the cells

So, roughly, a food processor at 3/4 full of garlic cloves, a tablespoon of salt, whir all that up and spread it out on sheets in the food dehydrator, let that dry, then whir it all up again, let that dry on low heat, then whir it up a final time. I suppose you could sieve it, but I've never bothered.

The end result is not all that salty. Someone else once pointed out that you end up with a much better product if you do all this when the garlic is reasonably fresh, not waiting until January of next year after the garlic has been setting around 6 months.

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, now I've done another small batch, started before the above response was posted. I sliced by hand and then once it was dry to crispy ran it through the coffee grinder- much better, if maybe a little too powdery. But no real need for sieving! (Note, do not be impatient opening the grinder after grinding, or you end up inhaling a cloud of ultrafine garlic... I know why garlic snuff never caught on!) Next I have to try out David's method and see how that goes. Then maybe I'll have the process streamlined enough to do a big batch. Thanks eveyone!

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    11 years ago

I just got an e-mail from Mother Earth News on making garlic powder and remembered this post! Here is the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: making garlic powder

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Wertach! That looks a lot like the original process I followed. David, I don't know if you'll read this thread again, but the salt did decrease the drying time a lot. But one little hitch I had was realizing that I didn't know what size food processor you used... There's a tad difference in using a tablespoon of salt per 3/4 of a 6 cup model versus 3/4 of an 8 cup model. I made my garlic too salty. But it's ok, it's blended in with the other batches that had no salt.

So the basic process has become: peel several heads of garlic, pulse in a food processor with a still to be determine amount of salt until the chunks are fairly uniform, dehydrate on sheets in dehydrator, take a fork and loosen and turn the chunks once or twice during the drying (they are a bit sticky and will be hard to remove if you let them dry with out moving them at least once, also it helps them dry faster), then once dry (brittle) pulse in the coffee grinder until powdered.

It really is much better than store bought, which I never really liked the taste of.

• david52 Zone 6
    11 years ago

Ah, that would be a bit of important info - I use one of those 11 cup food processors.

Glad that it worked out.

• JessicaInOhio
    11 years ago

FYI (though it seems like you've moved beyond this!): rice in the coffee grinder cleans it right up. Salt will work too.

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Have been crazy with picking and processing, just thought to check back on this, glad I did! So that would work out to roughly 1 Tbsp salt per 8 cups garlic, great. No mysteries why my little batch turned out too salty :) And thanks for the tip about rice and the grinder, Jessica. I am actually still using it too, it seems faster than my processor. Cheers!

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County