Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using extracts in Jam

Posted by nancedar z7NC (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 16, 14 at 12:02

Is there a reason why I shouldn't use extracts to flavor my jams? Instead of real rum I'd like to use Rum Extract (not imitation rum flavoring) but it has glycerine in it, and do other Extracts. What do you know about glycerin in a home canned product? Safe, not?
Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using extracts in Jam

I don't know about the glycerin, but if you are wanting to avoid alcohol, you do realize that the alcohol evaporates off. Even if added at the last minute, you could simply add it a minute or two earlier to make sure it escapes before canning. I have hear that some folks are so sensitive that even a little residual is problematic, so I understand if you are trying to be super careful.

o

I don't see why you couldn't use extracts... here is a link to where almond extract is *optional in several recipes provided vie a county extension web site. Notice the amount 1/4 teaspoon per quantity of other ingredients, so it doesn't take much to flavor a batch. What extracts and fruits are you considering? Just curious... :)

o

canfan - I have a GF baking business so there sit a lot of extracts (nothing artificial) that I buy in bulk, and I make about 50 varieties of fruit jam so I'm always looking for a new flavor combo. I noticed that most of the extracts use alcohol, not the problem, but a lot have glycerin in them too, which is the unknown for me as far as using it in canning.
BTW pure almond extract is usually just almond oil and alcohol.
Nancy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here