Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Skimming off the Foam

Posted by PlantsAndYarn 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 12:13

Lots of recipes dealing with canning fruits, jams & jellies say to skim off foam, if necessary. Since I am lazy, lol, I am wondering what happens if you do not skim off the foam?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Skimming off the Foam

The foam contains a lot of air, so essentially you're increasing the headspace in the preserve. Potentially you're reducing the shelf life of the jam.

Also, personally I don't care for the texture or flavor of the foam, though some don't mind it.

You can either prevent it by adding 1 tsp. of butter to a batch of jam (keeps foam down) or eliminate by skimming. Your call.

Carol

o

Agree with Carol. Excess headspace and the air in the foam is trapped in the jar. That increase the odds of mold development and shortens shelf life. It isn't a major chore to skim.

Dave

o

I find that if I let the jam sit for 5 minutes or so off the burner, then stir again, most of the foam dissolves. I skim the small amount that's left into a bowl. The jam is still plenty hot to put into jars, I lose less to foam, and I make toast while the jam is processing to use up the foam!

Works for me!
Deanna

o

The foam also looks bad. The butter tip has saved me over and over. Now I keep a stick of butter near when I jamming.

o

make toast while the jam is processing to use up the foam!

Good idea Deanna! Any chance to sample the fruits of our labors. :-)

Dave

This post was edited by digdirt on Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 20:26

o

Thanks for your replies. I was just curious about it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here