Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I make some changes in this recipe safely?

Posted by laceyvail 6A, WV (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 31, 12 at 12:19

I don't know if this recipe was posted here or on another site, but here's the recipe. What I want to do is replace the garlic powder, a product I never use, with some of my lovely fresh garlic? If so, how much should I use?

Sweet Pickled Jalapenos

3 lbs jalapeno peppers
2 C. cider vinegar
6 C white sugar
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp celery seed
3 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

I'm not including the directions since they're not applicable to my question.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I make some changes in this recipe safely?

Normally you can only substitute DRIED garlic, not fresh but since this seems to be a 100% vinegar recipe you can sub some fresh.

Most approved recipes that call for adding fresh garlic cloves call for 1-2 per pint, 3-4 per quart so that is what I'd go by.

Dave

o

Approved pickled garlic recipes call for 100% vinegar, so I see no reason not to combine the recipes as long as there's sufficient pickling liquid to thoroughly bathe both peppers and garlic.

You might be interested in the OSU Extension document at the link for garlic recipes, including straight pickled garlic.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Preserving Foods - Garlic

o

Would you chop the fresh garlic very fine to include it in the recipe?

o

Would you chop the fresh garlic very fine to include it in the recipe?

I probably wouldn't. The approved recipes that use it call for whole cloves, but I guess you could cut them how ever you wanted to.

Dave

o

I might split whole cloves but that's as far as I would go. The garlic will infuse the pickle with flavor over time.

However, it is up to you. No safety reason not to. The small bits of garlic will probably end up floating at the top, "collaring" the peppers nearest the surface.

Carol

o

I would halve the garlic. Tiny pieces end up floating like Carol said and are not attractive in the jar.

Deanna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here