Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnibel7

What if you have less to can than the recipe calls for?

sunnibel7 Md 7
11 years ago

I'm sure this question has come up before, but I couldn't think of a way to formulate a search that brougt up any discussions that would help me. Basically, I want to can my tomato sauce this year, having only frozen it in the past. I say sauce, but really what I prefer is basically cooked down, unseasoned puree. I can season it specific to my tastes when it comes cooking time.

So anyhow, this will be my first time canning. First thing that comes up is that I don't have 40 lbs of tomatoes sitting around, and if I try to wait for my plants to produce that amount the older ones will be rotting. So can you can with fewer jars than the recipe calls for? I did purchase a new pressure canner, should be arriving soon. And I have read the beginning of the Ball Blue Book, but if it addressed this question I missed it.

If you can't can with fewer jars, then how do you save up your tomatoes to get enough to can? Any help would be appreciated!

Comments (5)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

You may can with as many jars as you wish. So if you only have enough to prepare 1/2 of the recipe just cut all the ingredients in half and then follow the rest of the instructions. The processing time is the same.

But just to be sure I'm not accidentally misleading by misunderstanding what you are asking you can you be more specific about the recipe you are using?

And the thickness makes a difference in the processing time and size of jars used. For example tomato paste is done in 1/2 pints and for a longer time than tomato sauce is.

Neither plain tomato sauce nor plain tomato paste require pressure canning.

For those of us who prefer to only work with full or doubled recipes we just freeze the whole tomatoes until we have enough to do the full batch.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Canning Standard Tomato Sauce

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, thanks! I was referring to plain or as the link you gave says "standard" tomato sauce. It looks like thick or thin sauce gets processed the same time? I don't have a pot big enough to water bath can in, and I love pickles too, so the pressure canner was an investment for the future. I also like salsa and other things that can be canned, this is my jumping off point. Um, actually, can you explain what's going on in table 3 of that link? It says pint or quarts, but then has 3 process times...

I didn't have an actual recipe, that was going to be step 2, but you've saved me having to look. :) I just figured if all the recipes for sauces with stuff in them called for 30+ lbs of tomatoes per batch then I was going to need at least that much for what I want to do. When you freeze the tomatoes, how do you procede then? Thaw, strain, cook? Thanks a lot!

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Um, actually, can you explain what's going on in table 3 of that link? It says pint or quarts, but then has 3 process times...

That chart is for gauged canners only and list 3 different times depending on the pressure reading you use - the higher the pressure used, the shorter the time required. 20 min @ 5lb. or 15 min at 10 lb. Your choice.

I don't have a pot big enough to water bath can in, and I love pickles too, so the pressure canner was an investment for the future.

So you ordered a PC that is deep enough to use as a BWB canner too right? You'd never want to PC pickles. :)

When you freeze the tomatoes, how do you procede then? Thaw, strain, cook? Thanks a lot!

Wash, core (optional), bag, freeze. Then thaw, slip off peels, core if you didn't already, drain, and cook.

Dave

• dgkritch
    11 years ago

Yeah, what Dave said except for:

"That chart is for gauged canners only and list 3 different times depending on the pressure reading you use - the higher the pressure used, the shorter the time required. 20 min @ 5lb. or 15 min at 10 lb. Your choice.

It's for Weighted Gauge canners.....
    Just a typographical ommision, I'm sure! (smile!)

Deanna

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ah, so, I get it. I actually ordered the part for the adjustable weighted gauge, but had forgotten. Now that table makes sense. Haven't looked at recipes for pickles yet, good to know! I guess the canner is deep enough, it's 16 quarts, but if not I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. :) however thi all works out, it will be good to be able to free up room in the freezer for things that need freezing. Once I get the 40 lbs of tomatoes out... ;)