Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canning Pickle "Spears"

Posted by skeip 5 WI (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 12:20

I see commercially canned pickles where the cucumbers have been sliced lengthwise into spears. Is this practical for home canners? Sometimes you can only get a few whole cukes in a jar, but if they were cut into spears and then packed, you could get a lot more in.

Does this change processing time? What will the texture be like? Also related but not really, can you ferment spears and slices or only whole cucumbers? I'm excited that I have enough fresh cukes to start canning tomorrow!

TYIA for the information.

Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canning Pickle "Spears"

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 22:13

JMO on the spears - been there, tried that, mushy. I prefer to do halves and then cut into spears after opening. They are still softer than wholes would be but better than spears. And if you do halves use Pickle Crisp.

In theory the processing time should be less for halves or spears because of the faster heat penetration but there are no tested recommendations for how much difference. So we are stuck with the standard - whatever the recipe calls for in both shape/cut and processing time.

As to fermenting I have never tried anything but whole cukes since the one time we did slices they were way too soft and almost slimey. But your experience may vary. So we ferment only whole and then slice/spear and jar as desired after fermenting.

Dave

o

Dave, as always, I appreciate your knowledge and experience, and willingness to share both. That and the referral to the NCHFP...

Steve

o

I have to agree with Dave. I was unhappy with spears (with the exception of Linda Lou's Sweet Pickle Chunks).

I just can them whole and slice later into whatever shape I need (i.e. spears, rounds, halves).

Deanna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here