Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alpsin_ny

Dill pickle questions

ALPSin_NY
17 years ago

I've decided to make some crock dill pickles for the first time and have a few questions.

I won't have enough for a full batch with just one days harvest. I'll need to collect cukes for several days before I have enough. Is simply storing them in the fridge OK and then washing before using? I'm sure fresher is better, but how long will they "keep" in the fridge? Are 5 day old cukes still good for dill pickles?

How about size? I'm collecting cukes that are about the same size but some are 3" and others 5". Will this affect the pickles or will they all be fermented equally?

What about pickle crisp?Is it worth adding, or for my first attemp should I keep it simple?

I'm sure I'll have more questions later but this willget me started

Comments (19)

• lexilani
    17 years ago

Hi Alpsin,
    I can't answer the first part of your question but I can tell you that pickle crisp is very easy and simple to use. Just put it in the jar right before adding the fluid.Doesn't get much easier than that. I've had some amazing crisp pickles using it for anything but sweet. It makes my sweet pickles limp as a cooked noodle!

Actually after re-reading your post it might not apply to "crock pickles", I've never made that kind.

• jimster
    17 years ago

I think if you keep the cukes refigerated in a crisper drawer or other container so they don't shrivel, they will be OK. Wash them well and maybe give them a soak in fresh water to rehydrate them before pickling. Osmosis is an important part of the pickling process and that will be affected by the moisture content of the cucumbers. Just my thoughts, not based on specific experience.

I'm not sure how much size difference will affect the results. A large difference will result in their being at slightly different stages of fermentation at some time. I'm inclined to think it won't matter.

Below is a link to good information on fermented dills.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Garlic Dill Pickle Recipe

• bejay9_10
    17 years ago

I've kept pickles for 3 or so days, until enough for the "crock." Size probably doesn't matter, except if your going to put them in a jar, then the bigger ones fit better if cut in two.

Because of my small garden, I have made several dill crocks using other veggies beside cukes. You can make a nice "crock" using zuccini, cauliflower, green tomatoes, onions, peppers, beans, etc. (steam the beans 3 min.), but layer them in the crock then put the brine, dill and garlic in and let ferment for about 20 days.

It is easier in my case to make mixed type pickles for me -as the cukes don't always cooperate at the same time.

Bejay

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

I believe that crock pickles are very similar to a fermented pickle. In that you have a salt brine with the cukes in a crock, along with dill, and garlic. I make a similar, but its only at room temp for 1-2 days, then gets refrigerated, along with adding a dash of white vinegar. Have two half gallon jars in the fridge right now.

Didn't know that PC would affect a sweet pickle. I just made both slices and some whole cukes as sweet pickles. I used Splenda as you only need about a cup of it for enough brine to do 7-8 quarts. I used a kosher dill mix from Ball, as well as some mustard seeds, fresh dill, celery seeds, and even a single whole peppercorn in each jar. Then I also added a couple of cut up cloves of garlic per jar as well as a teaspoon of dried sweet red and green pepper flakes. The dried peppers add a dash of color to the jars. They are on the table now 'clinking' away.

• lexilani
    17 years ago

ksrogers,
    Every single time I've made any sweet pickle and added the PC it has made them a limp, shriveled mess. I even tried it on a jar of Linda Lou's (the first time I made them) and that jar was so limp I couldn't use it. Doesn't seem to matter if I use a pre-packaged mix or a recipe from here or the Blue Book pickle crisp messes with the sweets. And it's not just pickles..when I made a sweet mix with veggies it turned out the same.
    I called the company last year and they were very interested in knowing every detail, step by step of what I did and used and said they would call me back and I never heard from them again.

Looking through my recipe folder from last year I found a recipe for using pickle crisp for sweets. But I can't figure out where the heck I got it and if it evens works. Seems to me the whole idea about the pickle crisp is to get a crisp pickle without soaking in lime for a long period. As you can see from the recipe below they switched up the lime for the PC. Money wise it might be better just to use the lime since pC costs so much...at least here in Paw Paw.
    Here's the recipe...just wish I knew where I got it:

Sweet Pickle Crisp Pickles (formerly Sweet Lime Pickles)
    This recipe has been revised to use Pickle Crisp in place of Pickling Lime.

Ingredients
    7 pounds cucumbers
    2 (26 g) pouches Ball 100% Natural® Pickle CrispÂ
    2 gallons water
    9 cups sugar
    1 tablespoon pickling salt
    2 quarts vinegar, 5% acidity
    Tie in Spice Bag:
    1 tablespoon celery seed
    1 tablespoon whole cloves
    1 tablespoon whole mixed pickling spices

Instructions
    Wash cucumbers; drain. Slice lengthwise. Place slices in Pickle Crisp water
    (2, 26 g pouches Pickle Crisp to 2 gallons water) and soak for 12 hours.
    Remove and drain. Cover pickles with ice water and allow pickles to stand
    3 hours. Drain well. Dissolve sugar and salt in vinegar; add spice bag and
    bring to a boil. Pour hot syrup over pickles; let soak overnight.

Prepare home canning jars and lids according to manufacturerÂs instructions.

Remove spice bag. Boil pickles in syrup for 30 minutes. Pack hot
    cucumbers into hot jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Carefully ladle
    hot pickling liquid over cucumbers, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.
    Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Adjust two-piece caps.

Process 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
    Yield: about 8 pints

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

PIckle Crisp is a 'buffer' which reduces the acidic action that goes on once the vegetable is in this brine. For tomatoes, it also helps to keep a little firmness if your making chunk or whole canned tomatoes. Because I haven't been using PC before 2003, I can't tell you much about long term crispness. I have been using pickling lime in the past and would soak my whole cukes in it for 24 hours prior to cutting up in chunks, then making sweet mixed pickles with whole small onions, and cauliflower. Because I now use mostly a av very small amount of Splenda instead of sugar, I found that the amount of Splenda used, is less than 10% of what would otherwise be all sugar. I get virtaully the same sweeteness, and it must have something to do with the vinegar that acts on the Splenda that makes it so powerful. I always go by taste when making my brines. Sugar may have a negative effect on PC, and because its used primarily for regular pickles of the vinegar type, it might not be useful for the sweet ones. I do know that sugar can break down a sweet pickle very fast, and thats one reason the cukes are cut into sizable chunks as opposed to thinner slices. I do not boil my pickles in brine. They get cold packed in jars, then the boiling brine is poured over them before they get capped and processed.

• jimster
    17 years ago

There are some very lengthy and detailed off topic discussions going on here. I hope it doesn't confuse the original poster, who asked specifically about fermented pickles. All but a couple of the posts are about other types.

Jim

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

Yes. Mine are all regular vinegar brine types, and none are fermented. I don't even add the PC to my half sours as they have very little vinegar to begin with.

• ALPSin_NY
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I've got maybe two gallons of cukes to get started with. That will be enough for my first batch.

I just need to get this ceramic crock clean before starting. Are those mineral deposits forming those stains?

• jimster
    17 years ago

I wish you lots of beginner's luck, Alpsin. Years ago, when I was young and fearless, I made a huge crock full on my first attempt. They were terrific, and were a big hit at an office clambake. People couldn't keep away from them. Later, when I made another batch, I got spoilage. I'm glad it happened in that order or I would have been discouraged forever from making fermented dills. When they are good, they are VERY good.

Jim

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

Crocks are notorius for getting lime deposits as a crusty white appearance in rings on the inside of the crocks. The only major concern is if this is an old crock that uses a leaded glaze it could be an unhealthy item to handle fermentation. Most newer crocks are very safe as they don't use these leaded glazes anymore.

• readinglady
    17 years ago

I've switched from crocks to food-safe plastic buckets. They're lighter, which is a big factor for me, now that I'm getting older. Much easier to clean and I don't have to worry about seeping, which can be a problem sometimes with old crocks.

If you're interested in going that route, you can often get such buckets free or very low-cost by asking local fast-food places or restaurants for their empty ones.

Carol

• ALPSin_NY
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for all the great help so far. I have one last question before I begin:

A certain recipe calls for the use of grape leaves and I have some wild grapes in the back. I have no idea what kind they are and wonder if they are OK to use. Any reason why I shouldn't use them?

• jimster
    17 years ago

As a devotee of Euell Gibbons (Stalkng the Wild Asparagus, Stalking the Blue Eyed Scallop, etc.) I assure you that wild grape leaves are fine to use. I've eaten all sorts of wild plants including wild grapes, which made a good jelly much different from Welch's. Whether grape leaves of any sort will achieve a crunchy pickle is debatable. I think the active ingredient is tannin. In any case, it can't hurt to try.

Jim

• readinglady
    17 years ago

I second Jim. By all means do use the wild grape leaves, if for no other reason than it looks so "authentic" in the jar.

Euell Gibbons. Now that's a name I haven't heard in a while. I'm thinking of nettle soup.

Carol

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

I've used grape leaves packed at the bottom of my pickle jars and have not seen any improvement in crispness over a long term of over a year. The crispness can be greatly affected by the length of the heat process time. Anything heated to boiling and sitting at that temperature for a while will definately become soft. Vinegar isn't the only enemy for attacking crispness. Euell Gibbons died of a heart attack I believe. His TV appearances were touting Grape Nuts cereal which he used to say that they tasted like wild hickory nuts.

• bejay9_10
    17 years ago

My "stewing" dill crock in the pantry is taken from Ewell Gibbon's idea in "Stocking Up III" in which he advocates using gallon size, restaurant size pickle jars.

As my garden produces small amounts, it is perfect for my use.

I put some brine in a plastic bag to put on top of the pickles, to keep them submerged. Also try to keep the metal lids from coming in contact with the brine - so use a plastic bag to put under the lid.

My veggies are now in about their 11th day, with 9 more days to go - or whenever they begin to taste right.

I do have an electric crock pot that might also double for that purpose. Perhaps I will try it for small batches of sauerkraut, although I'm still partial to the in-jar method, as it is so easy for small amounts.

Good luck and by all means use the grape leaves - some of those old ideas worked quite well.

Bejay

• ALPSin_NY
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I started this batch on Thursday night and set it in the basement where it has been between 68-74 deg. So far there has been so signs of an active fermentation and no scum has formed, only a few small bubbles are present. How long might it take for this batch to "start"?

• Amino_X
    17 years ago

I wish I had seen this thread earlier. I asked a similar question here at GW my first year gardening and (I think it was Linda Lou, but can't remember for certain now) that suggested that I keep my cucumbers in an ice-water bath in the fridge for up to a week. (My personal record is 2 week hee hee).

Since cucumbers are about 80% water no matter how you store them they will shrivel up if you don't store them IN water.

BEGIN AT THE SINK. I start by placing my cake cooling rack across the sink as a "wire-shelf" because not only will you have spillage, in this case you actually WANT spillage.

Using a large Tupperware (or similar) container with a tight fitting (sealable) lid, place your cucumbers in the bowl and cover with ice. Fill just to overflowing with water. When you put the lid on, instead of "burping" air you will want to "burp" a little water out to ensure there is no air at all and store in the coldest part of your refrigerator.

Add ice daily (or as needed, I have had ice last a couple of days) until your ready to pickle.

This is now standard storage practice for pickling cukes in my house every year until I have enough ready to can. :)

Best Wishes
    Amino-X

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!