Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Freezing whole paste tomatoes? Too many to peel and can!

Posted by wertach 7 SC (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 18, 11 at 12:26

I have a bumper crop of paste tomatoes and not enough time to peel and can. Will they be OK to just pop them in freezer bags and freeze until needed over the winter? Or will they freezer burn?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Freezing whole paste tomatoes? Too many to peel and can!

They will be great.

o

Whether or not they get freezer burn will all depend on how you bag them and how long frozen. We do them with the vacuum sealer bags. No problems that way. But in just loose packed in plain zip lock freezer bags they start to get some frost burn after a couple of months.

Of course if you are going to remove the peeling when thawed before using them the freezer burn doesn't hurt any thing.

Dave

o
RE: for canning

Keep in mind that many don't bother peeling when canning, especially when making sauces. Peeling is recommended but some prefer to skip it and just core and toss them into the blender and then cook down or roast them in the oven fro roasted sauces.

You can also do easy peeling by freezing them just for a couple of days. When they thaw the skins slip right off.

Dave

o

I core my tomatoes before freezing. I find it hard to take the core out of a mushy thawing tomato.

o

I've done it many times, wertach. No problemo.

In fact, in some ways it's easier---the skins slip right off when the toms are partially thawed. I don't even core paste tomatoes unless they have a particularly tough-looking core.

Zabby

o

I prefer to freeze them first. Just rinse and toss into ziplocs. Then, in a month or two when things slow down, I thaw, drain off the "tomato water" (save for soup base) and run through my food mill for sauce.
I cook the sauce down in the oven and the smell of tomatoes in October is awesome. Much nicer to cook and can when the weather is a bit cooler and I get the tomatoes out of the freezer to free up space for our annual purchase of beef and pork.
If I'm going to can whole or diced, I don't freeze first.

Deanna

o
Update, Thanks all!

I froze them in bags, and bought a food mill. I have been using the food mill on the fresh tomatoes and making sauce, some for a meal and some to freeze. Soooo easy! Yesterday I grabbed a bag from the freezer and let them thaw. Ran them through the food mill and made spaghetti sauce. Tasted just like fresh!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here