Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susaneden_gw

2-quart caning jars

susaneden
14 years ago

Hi all you canning goddesses and gods. My uncle just gave me a bunch of 2-quart canning jars. I have only used 1-quart jars for canning, although 2-quart jars will fit in my pressure canner for BWB canning. Can I SAFELY use them to process dill pickles in for shelf storage, and what would the times be for them? If not, i will just use these big boys for refridgerator pickles....sigh,it would seem like such a waste!

Thanks in advance!

Comments (10)

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Sorry but 2 qt. jars haven't been approved for canning for many years and there are no approved processing times for them. There is one exception - high acid juices. NCHFP provides processing times for some juices (not tomato) in 1/2 gallon jars.

But with other things, not only is volume an issue but so is density with that size jar so it isn't just a matter of doubling the times approved for 1 quart jars as one might suspect. ;)

They can be used for fermenting things and for fridge pickles and such with no problems.

Dave

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

Only good thing for 2 quart jars are for storing dry things using the Food Saver attachment to vacuum attach a lid. I use them for my half sour fermented pickles that are stored in the fridge. For home canning, as mentioned, they are just too big for most any home canning project.

• pgriff
    14 years ago

I can remember my granny canning in half-gallon jars when I was a child. She had a large family. Although I wouldn't can in them now, I don't ever remember anyone getting sick by eating her cooking.

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

pgriff - Well as we often say here - what Granny did or what we THINK she did and what is safe to do now are very different things thanks to all the research done since Granny's day. ;)

Granny had much stronger vinegar to use than we have for one thing and much less virulent bacteria to deal with than exists now. As a result, with the exception mentioned above of high acid fruit juices, canning in half-gallon jars is no longer approved and has not been for many years.

Your choice of course as it is your risk to take. But you will just have to guess at the processing times.

Dave

• pgriff
    14 years ago

I know what you mean, Dave. Makes me wonder how in heck they lived all those years. Yep, we have more of everything than Granny did, including bacteria AND garden bugs. (I hate those darn squash vine borers! :( )

• susaneden
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info gys :D

from what I saw online, that was my suspiscion. What I will do is use them for fermented dils, and then store them in the fridge, and use them for dry storage as suggested above.

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

To prevent vine borer damages, inject with either a beneficial nematode that will attack the borers in the stems, or use a form of Bt. An insulin syringe is useful and you inject close to the ground and at about 2 feet intervals to about 5-6 feet. It doesnt harm the vines, but does kill the boreres quite well. I never have that problem anymore, since doing that for several years.

• dgkritch
    14 years ago

Also remember.........Granny usually boiled the heck out of anything home canned before eating too.

Anyone else eat grey mush they called green beans at grandma's house??!?!? LOL

On topic: I love the 1/2 gallon jars for dry storage and I have 6 of the old standard mouth ones too. I discovered this year that the standard mouth fits my baby chick waterer and feeders!! Yay! Less filling frequency!

Deanna

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

I hate canned beans and peas, and much prefer frozen as they are better texture, color, and taste.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks