Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strawberry Rhubarb Jam

Posted by gymnmore z8 LA (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 29, 11 at 12:31

I am totally new to canning, and looking for a small batch recipe for this. I have found a few recipes on line, but they were for larger batches. Also, can I substitute frozen rhubarb for fresh? Thanks, in advance.
~ Judy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strawberry Rhubarb Jam

NCHFP has a Straw-Rhub jam recipe using liquid pectin. Linked it below. Any recipe you find can always be cut in half if necessary.

If you don't want to use liquid pectin then use the Strawberry Jam recipe and substitute rhubarb for 1/3 of the strawberries.

Yes you can use frozen rhubarb but thaw and drain it first.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Strawberry-Rhubarb Jam

o

Dave, thank you so much !!

o

THere is a book out there called "Small Batch Preserves" by Jeanie Lessim (?). Do a search for it..........

o

I throw my frozen rhubarb right into the pan with the strawberries once they are almost done.

o

How small are you looking for? Joy of Jams has one for 3 pints (6 jelly jars) but that can be halved.

1 large lemon
2 pounds of strawberries, hulled
3/4 pound of rhubarb, cut into app. 3/8-inch cubes
4 1/4C sugar

1. Squeeze the juice from the lemon. Put the seeds into a spice bag, and put the bag and juice into a preserving pan. Add the strawberries and slice or mash them if they are large and firm. Add the rhubarb. Over low heat, simmer the contents until the rhubarb is tender, about 30 minutes.

(Thawed and drained may take less - frozen and not drained may take more)

2. Remove the pan from the heat and add the sugar. Stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Raise the heat to medium-high and boil the jam, stirring and skimming off the foam, until a drop mounds in a chilled dish.

3. Ladle the jam into pint or half-pint mason jars. Add lids and rings, and process the jars for 10 minutes in a boiling-water bath.

Small Batch (by Ellie Topp) has a rhubarb variation of Favorite Strawberry Jam, strawberry version yields 2.5 C, rhubarb version yields 3C:

4C halved or quartered firm strawberries

(for rhubarb version *add* 1C finely chopped rhubarb)

2C sugar
1/4C lemon juice

1. Mix berries (and rhubarb) with sugar and let stand for 8 hours, stirring occasionally.

2. Place mixture in medium stainless saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Add lemon juice, return to boil, and boil rapidly for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let stand 24 hours.

3. Bring mixture to a full boil over high heat and boil rapidly for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.

4. Ladle into hot jars and process for 10 minutes.

HTH

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here