Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gymnmore

Strawberry Rhubarb Jam

gymnmore
12 years ago

I am totally new to canning, and looking for a small batch recipe for this. I have found a few recipes on line, but they were for larger batches. Also, can I substitute frozen rhubarb for fresh? Thanks, in advance.

~ Judy

Comments (5)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

NCHFP has a Straw-Rhub jam recipe using liquid pectin. Linked it below. Any recipe you find can always be cut in half if necessary.

If you don't want to use liquid pectin then use the Strawberry Jam recipe and substitute rhubarb for 1/3 of the strawberries.

Yes you can use frozen rhubarb but thaw and drain it first.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Strawberry-Rhubarb Jam

• gymnmore
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dave, thank you so much !!

• Lorirrt16
    12 years ago

THere is a book out there called "Small Batch Preserves" by Jeanie Lessim (?). Do a search for it..........

• amysrq
    12 years ago

I throw my frozen rhubarb right into the pan with the strawberries once they are almost done.

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

How small are you looking for? Joy of Jams has one for 3 pints (6 jelly jars) but that can be halved.

1 large lemon
    2 pounds of strawberries, hulled
    3/4 pound of rhubarb, cut into app. 3/8-inch cubes
    4 1/4C sugar

1. Squeeze the juice from the lemon. Put the seeds into a spice bag, and put the bag and juice into a preserving pan. Add the strawberries and slice or mash them if they are large and firm. Add the rhubarb. Over low heat, simmer the contents until the rhubarb is tender, about 30 minutes.

(Thawed and drained may take less - frozen and not drained may take more)

2. Remove the pan from the heat and add the sugar. Stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Raise the heat to medium-high and boil the jam, stirring and skimming off the foam, until a drop mounds in a chilled dish.

3. Ladle the jam into pint or half-pint mason jars. Add lids and rings, and process the jars for 10 minutes in a boiling-water bath.

Small Batch (by Ellie Topp) has a rhubarb variation of Favorite Strawberry Jam, strawberry version yields 2.5 C, rhubarb version yields 3C:

4C halved or quartered firm strawberries

(for rhubarb version *add* 1C finely chopped rhubarb)

2C sugar
    1/4C lemon juice

1. Mix berries (and rhubarb) with sugar and let stand for 8 hours, stirring occasionally.

2. Place mixture in medium stainless saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Add lemon juice, return to boil, and boil rapidly for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let stand 24 hours.

3. Bring mixture to a full boil over high heat and boil rapidly for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.

4. Ladle into hot jars and process for 10 minutes.

HTH

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional