Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plsgrow

Home Canned Tomato Soup Recipe, Please!

plsgrow
18 years ago

Last year someone kindly posted a homemade tomato soup recipe which I can no longer find. Have tried the search engine in this forum and the Growing Tomatoes Forum, to no avail. At one time, I had canned tomato soup using butter and flour and was told that was a serious no-no. Would greatly appreciate various recipes for homemade tomato soup that will also can well.

Thank you.

Comments (63)

• plsgrow
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Katie, I truly appreciate the "Do Not Include Cream..." note. Just trying to make certain I get this right from the get go. Yum, cream. Does your file copy of the recipe
    vary from the first draft?

Last winter I used store bought tomato bisque. DH all but gagged because of the salt content and my Mother mentioned the same complaint several months later. Hence my search for a good homemade tomato soup recipe. Will start this soup tomorrow morning. Looking forward.

Thank you,

Pat

• annie1992
    18 years ago

Good luck on that soup, Pat. I just happened to have some cream on hand once, and used that and it was good. Regular old milk is good too, I've also used that. Whatever you have on hand.

I always can the soup without the cream, and add the cream when I am heating it up. Although that's not in the recipe, I'm sure Katie mentioned that to me when I got the recipe.

Annie

• plsgrow
    Original Author
    18 years ago

We love the Roasted Tomato Garlic Soup. In fact, am roasting an oven full of tomatoes at the moment to mix with the other 2 batches roasted already today. Doing a seperate pot for yellow soup.

When I first canned the Roasted Tomato Garlic Soup there was a small amount left over that was less than one half pint. I added that overage to some chicken breasts I had baking and it was superb.

When my green peppers turn red, will make Linda Lou's recipe also.

Again thanks so very much for this delightfully delicious recipe.

Pat

• MollyinVA
    18 years ago

I'm not much of a "canner" - do you think these recipes could be frozen?

• Linda_Lou
    18 years ago

Yes, they can be frozen, too. The texture may be a bit different, but good. I know that with some soups, if you reheat them over a double boiler instead of direct heat after they are frozen, the texture is nicer.

• kcsunflower
    18 years ago

Re: will definately try the Roasted garlic tomato soup and freeze it..Thanks...Karen

• dutchgirl_z7
    18 years ago

I also have a recipe with flour and butter... can it be frozen, too, or is it completely taboo? My mother always made it and it was my favorite...thanks, Jana

• Linda_Lou
    18 years ago

It is safe to freeze with the flour and butter, but it may seperate and not look so appetizing afterwards.

• shirleywny5
    18 years ago

If you're out of half & half or cream, try using powdered coffee creamer in the heated soup. I use it in my roasted red pepper bisque and it works perfectly.

• pkramer60
    18 years ago

This thread is perfect as I bought a pressure canner today and had thoughts of Katies soup for it. Questions answered for me without even asking.

Thanks everyone,

Peppi

• afeisty1
    18 years ago

I made the roasted garlic tomato soup this weekend and it is to die for! Katie, you should trademark and copyright your soup recipes. I'd send samples to Emeril, and maybe you'll be a guest on one of his canning shows.

Like another poster above, I will take an entire weekend and make nothing but the tomato soup. I'm not giving any of it away either! I'll give them a copy of the recipe instead. :)

• shirleywny5
    18 years ago

I don't have a cookie sheet, so I used the bottom portion of my broiler pan. It holds a lot more tomatoes.

• leesa_b
    18 years ago

Finally had the chance to try this recipe and absolutely loved. Am experimenting now with just making tomato sauce this way. I needed some for my first batch of Annie's Salsa so I just roasted a pan of tomatoes and onions and then blended them with my stick blender and it was a rich thick beautiful sauce. Think I can can this? I had planned on 10lbs for 30 minutes? I put olive oil and salt and pepper witht the tomatoes.

• kcsunflower
    18 years ago

Hello! What is a stick blender? I have a regular blender and used that for my roasted garlic tomato soup., which I might add is YUMMY!!Thanks...The rest I froze...Karen

• leesa_b
    18 years ago

kcsunflower (karen) - stick blender is another name for an immersion blender. It looks like a blender mechanism on the end of a stick that you just stick in the pot. I have a cuisinart one that I got at my Sam's club. They make this recipe even easier since you don't have to transfer it to your blender to blend it up.
    Leesa

• shirleywny5
    18 years ago

I bought my stick blender from as informercial 20 years ago. First and last time I'll buy anything from TV. It is very good at blending and I like using it for hot chocolate as I make mine with powered cocoa. The add said I could make whipped cream out of skim milk. Not so. Also, when using the chopping blades there was no guard. One could easily chop a finger off using it. I tossed the chopping blades in the trash.
    It does have a coffee grinding attachment which I never use. The cost was $129.00 plus S&H.
    I can make hot chocolate until the day I die and will still not have my monies worth.
    The blender was made in Italy. If it were on the market today I'm sure it would be recalled.

• mellyofthesouth
    17 years ago

Just bumping this up so I can find it easier.

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

Stick blender. I must say that I have used my new one a bit, and its been added to my regular used gadgets. There is another post for a very inexpensive one that I supplied a while back.

• mema-2009
    14 years ago

Sonja Hall, memastitchn@yahoo.com, homemade tomato soup.I have an old recipe I'd like to share with you.

• mema-2009
    14 years ago

this is an old recipe from my mama. 2gal prepared tomato juice, 2sml. stalks celery, 2onions, 1cup sugar, 2 tbls. salt, 2 sticks butter, 2cups plain flour. process celery and onions with small amount juice. I use a blender for this. Hold out 2 cups juice to mix with flour. Use blender and blend until smooth. Place all other ingredients in large kettle and bring to a boil. Slowly add flour mixture and stir until slightly thick. Fill jars,cap,seal and place in water bath for 10 minutes. This will make about 16 pints.ENJOY!

• gardensewer
    13 years ago

Linda Lou, thank you so much for the tomato soup recipe. My mother canned tomato soup every year. However, she open kettle canned it! YIKES. Lucky I am still here. Her recipe was so much like yours that I felt I could once again enjoy her tomato soup and feel like I had a pressure canning time for it. She didn't use the carrots or garlic or bay leaves and used less celery so I just eliminated them and came up with a tomato soup that was so much like hers I couldn't tell the difference. It is so good to have that remembered soup. She used a peck of tomatoes. Not sure how many quarts that would add up to so just used the quarts measurement in your recipe. Thanks again!

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

this is an old recipe from my mama. 2gal prepared tomato juice, 2sml. stalks celery, 2onions, 1cup sugar, 2 tbls. salt, 2 sticks butter, 2cups plain flour. process celery and onions with small amount juice. I use a blender for this. Hold out 2 cups juice to mix with flour. Use blender and blend until smooth. Place all other ingredients in large kettle and bring to a boil. Slowly add flour mixture and stir until slightly thick. Fill jars,cap,seal and place in water bath for 10 minutes. This will make about 16 pints.ENJOY!

Just clarify for any future readers since this is an old thread - this recipe posted by mema2009 is NOT a safe recipe for canning. It may be frozen but it is NOT safe to can.

The 2 recipes posted above by Linda Lou and Annie ARE approved for canning.

Dave

• Scunningham63_Atlanticbb_net
    13 years ago

Hi, I am planning my garden, and that means I am looking for new canning ideas. "Add cream to taste" Should I do this when serving, or is it approved to do as part of the canning process ? I thought cream was something you shouldn't use in a canning recipe. Thank you.

Scott

• bcskye
    13 years ago

Scott, you do not add the cream before canning. You only add it when you are heating up the soup before serving.

• erin_nc
    12 years ago

Bumping this to keep it alive.

Also, I made the spiced tomato soup recipe Linda Lou posted. It is from the Ball book. Both Linda's posting and the Ball book indicate a yield of 4 pints. I was able to get 8 pints using exact measurements from the recipe.

I have to say, this recipe is phenomenal. I'll have to try the roasted tomato and garlic recipe next.

• drmbear Cherry
    12 years ago

My tomato soup is the easiest thing I do with tomatoes. I have a large crock pot. When I have a lot of extra tomatoes, or tomatoes that are too damaged for normal canning, and no time for normal canning, I make soup. I don't peel or do anything complicated with the tomatoes, just core them, cut them up some. I may add an onion or two, a pepper (hot or sweet), maybe a couple of bay leaves, possibly even a carrot or stalk of celery if I feel like it. I cook it in the crock pot with the lid ajar, so steam escapes, allowing the volume to reduce. Only need to stir it occasionally - on low it can possibly even make it through the day (I've done it). I usually keep it on high and my wife stirs it every couple of hours.

When everything is very well cooked, I run everything through a sieve, removing skins, seeds, fibers, etc. Out comes a good quality tomato soup base. I then run out to the garden for whatever herbs are handy - basil, parsley, sage, mint, lemon balm - any good combination that may go well for a tomato soup, blend it in a mini blender with some of the soup, then poor it in. Salt & pepper to taste. At this point I can heat it on the stove, or return it to the crock pot, put the lid on, and turn it to high. My object is to bring it just to boiling before I can it.

I personally can it in quart jars, in a pressure canner, 10# for 20 minutes, which is what is recommended in my canning book for tomato soup with similar ingredients.

When I go to eat it, since I like cream of tomato soup, I stir in a large dollop of non-fat sour cream, and have my grilled cheese sandwiches ready.

I have a six quart crock pot, and if filled to the top when I start, this makes 4 quarts, perfect for my Mirro canner that holds 4 jars. This really is the easiest thing I can.

• LadyLilly
    12 years ago

I want to know why you have to presure cook these recipes and you can not waterbath them??? I have never used a presure cooker for any of my canning before, exept for meat.... and never had a problem.

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

I want to know why you have to presure cook these recipes and you can not waterbath them??? I have never used a presure cooker for any of my canning before, exept for meat.... and never had a problem.

Not sure which recipe you are referring to but all vegetables and most all recipes that contain a mixture of low acid vegetables that have no added acid must be pressure canned to be safe for shelf storage.

You don't mention what all you have been canning. Pickles and jams and jellies? No problem. But vegetables? "Never had a problem" means you may have just been lucky, not that it was safe to do.

I suggest a review of the canning guidelines posted online at NCHFP and in a current edition of the Ball Blue Book.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP

• Charcuterie
    11 years ago

For the Roasted Tomato Garlic Soup can anyone give me a weight measure for the tomatoes or at least a variety type? I have some huge beefsteak tomatoes I want to use but 12 of them would equal about 12 lbs of tomatoes. Is that ok for this or should I use smaller paste types?

Also, should I de-seed the tomatoes before roasting?

• gardenman101
    11 years ago

Linda lou, when you simmer in apot, i noticed your recipe does not contain any liquids, do the veggies supply enough so as not to burn?

• momagain1
    11 years ago

bumping from the dead (almost)

I tripled this recipe tonight and we got approximately 4 quarts..

I'm using a 1" headspace because it wasnt stated anywhere...can anyone tell me if this is correct?

Also, this was a HUGE hit as we had some before canning, but my only critique was from hubby who couldnt eat anymore due to the skins on the tomatoes..

so next time I'll run them through my Victorio!

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

momagain1 - Once again, which recipe are you referring to?

There are several recipes posted in this thread. Only 2 of them (the BBB one and Katie C's Roasted one) are approved as safe to use.

Dave

• momagain1
    11 years ago

Sorry Dave,

just for future reference; I NEVER can anything that isnt approved safe...

Katies roasted one :-)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Good! My copy of Katie C's Roasted Tomato Soup calls for 1" head space. That is the standard norm for canning soups.

Dave

• Randy.Canada
    11 years ago

Nice thread here. For the 1" head space, absolutely. I was preparing a recipe that said 1/2" head space (which I thought was odd). Turned out to be a hot-water bath recipe. When I pressure-canned it, the contents came out. The water was full of tomatoes. The jars had lost quite a bit of the content... The pressure canner ALWAYS makes the contents bubble and boil, so that inch is essential.

For the first soup recipe here, I have made that one several time this summer. It is in many cook books and on the sites of the canning supply companies.

I note a few things and I have learned a few things. Some versions use less cloves. If you want the spice without the strong clove taste, knock that tablespoon down to about 2 teaspoons.

Add a fistful of fresh garden parsley.

The original recipe is quite sweet enough with 1/2 cup sugar.

I leave out the salt (add it later if you want).

I use 2 or more cloves of garlic.

I have added thyme at times, no problem.

This also makes a great stock or "rescue" stock for bland recipes.

• Randy.Canada
    11 years ago

This recipe makes about 6 pints. I use a Greenstar (like a Champion) to extract an extra 2-3 cups of broth from the strained ingredients.

For "simmer until soft", 2 hours works well.

I see no reason to peel and core tomatoes that are soon to be strained and discarded. This means I can now make this recipe fairly quickly. The 5 vegetables are all in my garden, which is why I made this one so many times.

• malbadger
    11 years ago

So I grew up on Campbells tomato soup and grilled cheese- anyone have a recipe for tomato soup like that? The tomatoes I'd be using are cored, peeled, and frozen in pints.
    Great forum, glad I stumbled on it!

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

So I grew up on Campbells tomato soup and grilled cheese- anyone have a recipe for tomato soup like that?

Yes, you canned seasoned tomato sauce following the standard tomato sauce instructions (your choice of dried seasonings) and then stir in the the milk after opening. To taste just like Campbell's you'd need to grow their variety of tomatoes and know their exact seasonings.

Have you tried their new Harvest Orange Tomato soup? Delicious!

Dave

• Randy.Canada
    11 years ago

Hello Malbadger. I sympathize with you because cream of tomato soup is one of my favorite memories. I also prefer home-made (and I also agree with Dave about how to duplicate the taste of Campbell's). My garden tomato inventory is low enough that I am using it to make paste and sauces and so I am pleased to have found Pacific Organic Creamy Tomato Soup in Tetra Paks.

It is so close to my memory of Campbell's and I really enjoy it. Milk may be a big part of the secret because milk is the first ingredient, followed by water, tomato paste, cane sugar, sea salt, sodium citrate, rice flour, cheese flavor, garlic powder, onion powder.

I can only imagine it improving with REAL garlic, onion, cheese, etc. To eat fresh, you should not need the sodium. You can adjust any of it, come up with a flavor you like. I would probably omit rice flour if I were making it myself.

I do not buy much in cans any more. I prefer the reduced salt and better flavor of Tetra Pak and glass, and of course, home-made from scratch.

• malbadger
    11 years ago

Thanks for the input. I ended up taking out two pint jars from my freezer stash and following Mark Bittman's recipe in How To Cook Everything. I did the pureed version, but added more broth as I like the thin consistency. For creaminess I added a splash of almond milk to my bowl. Am I correct that I could pressure can this if I omit the oil/butter the onions and carrots are cooked in (and the almond milk)? Is any amount of oil acceptable in a prepping a recipe for pressure canning?

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Can Linda Lou's recipe be done without adding any sugar?

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Probably as the sugar provides only a minimal safety role by binding up some of the free water. But the flavor will be very different. As Linda Lou said above, " I would taste it before I added the full amount of sugar in case you don't like it that sweet" so reducing it is clearly no problem. But I don't think I would care for the bitter aftertaste of it if I eliminated the sugar completely.

Dave

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I find a little bit of sugar will kill the acidy taste that fresh canned tomatoes have. Splenda and Truvia also works.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I just made the recipe and used half the sugar. What is the purpose of the cloves? I really wish I had left them out but was afraid it would affect the processing time.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Cloves is just a flavoring agent. While they appeal to most people and usually compliment tomatoes well some folks just don't care for them.

They can be left out with no problems but it will affect the flavor. Any dried herb or seasoning can always be left out, or even increased somewhat, if you wish without affecting the processing times. It is fresh herbs and spices that can't be altered.

The issue with dried spices and seasonings is that they can often turn bitter or over-whelming turning shelf storage so that's why they are are used carefully.

Dave

• Kerry Vetter
    10 years ago

Are there any versions safe for water bath canning?

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Are there any versions safe for water bath canning?

For soup? No. Too many added low acid ingredients and most are too dense.

But you can always just BWB can plain tomato sauce and then turn it into soup after opening the jars. Herbs, seasonings, milk, etc. can always be added AFTER you open the jars.

Dave

• Kerry Vetter
    10 years ago

Thanks. Maybe I'll freeze some...

• minuteb
    9 years ago

For the Spiced Tomato Soup recipe, could the tomatoes, carrots and peppers be roasted before adding to the pot with the rest of the ingredients (any of the veggies or all)? They are so sweet after roasting. I imagine you could use less sugar plus get that great depth roasting provides.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Yes they can be roasted first. Just measure before as the roasting will shrink them some.

Dave