Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Home Canned Tomato Soup Recipe, Please!

Posted by plsgrow 6B/7A TN (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 14, 05 at 12:34

Last year someone kindly posted a homemade tomato soup recipe which I can no longer find. Have tried the search engine in this forum and the Growing Tomatoes Forum, to no avail. At one time, I had canned tomato soup using butter and flour and was told that was a serious no-no. Would greatly appreciate various recipes for homemade tomato soup that will also can well.

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Home Canned Tomato Soup Recipe, Please!

Spiced Tomato Soup:
Cooking Directions:
---------------------------
4 quarts chopped peeled cored tomatoes
3 1/2 cups chopped onions
2 1/2 cups chopped celery
2 cups chopped sweet red peppers
1 cup sliced carrots
7 bay leaves
1 tablespoon whole cloves
1 garlic clove
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons salt

Prepare Ball brand or Kerr brand jars and closures according to
manufacturer's instructions.

Combine tomatoes, onions, celery, peppers, carrots, bay leaves, cloves and
garlic in a large saucepot. Simmer until soft. Press through a sieve or
food mill. Add sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat 15 minutes.

Carefully ladle hot soup into hot jars, leaving 1-inch headspace. Wipe
jar rim clean. Place lid on jar with sealing compound next to glass.
Screw band down evenly and firmly just until a point of resistance is met
-- fingertip tight.

Process pints 20 minutes at 10 pounds pressure in a steam-pressure canner.
For elevations higher than 1,000 feet, increase pressure accordingly
following cooker manufacturer's recommendation.

This recipe yields about 4 pints.

I would taste it before I added the full amount of sugar in case you don't like it that sweet.

o

Here is my favorite, from KatieC:

Roasted Tomato Garlic Soup
Recipe By :Katie
12 tomatoes -- *see Note
2 carrots -- cut in 1" pieces
1 large onion -- quartered
2 whole heads garlic -- peeled (or more, to taste)
olive oil
2 cups chicken broth -- (or 3)
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil -- (or 1 Tbsp. dried)
cream -- to taste

Core tomatoes and cut in half. Place, cut side up, on foil covered cookie sheet with carrots, onion and garlic. Brush with olive oil. Bake at 400F for about an hour, or until vegies are roasted and a little blackened. Place in a large saucepan with the chicken broth and basil and simmer for about 10 minutes. Blend with a stick blender (or in small batches in a blender) until almost smooth. Add cream to taste. To can: Process in a pressure canner, pints for 60 min. and quarts for 70 min.For dial gauge canners use 11 pounds pressure at 0-2000 ft., 12 lbs. at 2001-4000 ft., 13 lbs. at 4001-6000 ft. and 14 lbs. above 6000 ft. For weighted gauge canners use 10 lbs. pressure at 0-1000 ft., and 15 lbs. over 1000 ft. *Note: These measurements are approximate...I use whatever it takes to cover the cookie sheet. This makes 1 1/2 to 2 quarts of soup.

I didn't have a stick blender so I just put the veggies through my Foley food mill after roasting them. It worked great.

Annie

o

These sound great but are there any tried and true plain old tomato soup recipes out there?

o

I second Annie's recommendation on the Roasted Tomato & Garlic soup. I don't think we could ever make enough! This is so good during the winter months and since running out of our canned spaghetti sauce we've been using it with grond beef and a small can of commercial tomato paste over pasta.

o

I love tomato soup, however I always buy the canned and add milk. I never tried making it from scratch, but Linla Lou's and Annie's recipes sure sound great. I may try both kinds when my tomatos are ready and the weather cools down a bit so I can light the oven.
Annie, I just opened the last pint of your salsa. I added a dozen hot peppers to it and my DH will eat the whole jar with a sleeve of ritz crackers. This evening.

o

A DOZEN hot peppers, Shirley? Holy Smokes, your husband is a strong man, I like it a lot milder than that. I've never tried it with crackers, though, I'll have to give that a chance next time I'm out of tortilla chips.

Karen, if you want plain tomato soup, you could probably take either of the above recipes and sub tomatoes for all of the vegetables, then leave the spices out in favor of plain salt and pepper.

Malonanddonna, I use that soup for pasta sauce too, and my girls have used it in a pinch as pizza sauce. It's really good stuff. :-)

Annie

o

I make a nice, plain tomato soup by doing up a little bit of white sauce --- butter, flour, milk, salt, pepper, and maybe garlic --- and then adding a can of whole or crushed tomatoes.

I learned to do this in my student days and would use a commercial can, and it was still pretty good for the short time it took. But now I make it with a home-canned can, and boy, is it yummy!

Zabby

o

Thanks to all who responded with delicious sounding recipes. This will be my first year to use the Villaware processor for sauces. Am growing several heirloom paste tomatoes for this purpose and they are beginning to ripen quickly now.

Linda Lou, do you use paste tomatoes or regular juicy tomatoes in this recipe? If, in some instances, I omit the other vegetables, would I still need to process in the pressure cooker or would a boiling water bath suffice ?

annie1992, Do you peel the tomatoes before baking?
OR
When you run the mixture through your food mill, are the peels removed or pulverized?

Thanks again and again,

Pat

o

You can use either slicing or paste type tomatoes. I think slicing ones are more sweet tasting, but have more juice.
Yes, you would still need to pressure can. If you didn't add any veggies, it would be tomato juice. In order to water bath can, it would need bottled lemon juice or citric acid. I don't think tomato soup would taste good like that.

o

Pat, I don't peel the tomatoes before roasting them, the peels and seeds are efficiently "spit" out the side of the food mill....

Annie

o

Another way to do a plain tomato soup is to use any home-canned tomato sauce or pure; just heat it about half-and-half with light cream or milk for a simple soup. Or for more texture you could use 1 pint pure, 1/2 pint tomato chunks and 1/2 to 1 pint light cream or milk.

The possibilities for additions or amendments are almost endless.

You could also use the BBB Stewed Tomatoes recipe (page 67) for a soup base, if you wanted some additional vegetables. It has celery, onion and a little green pepper. The total of these vegetables is 1 3/4 cups. If you didn't want green pepper you could increase the celery and onion, as long as the total didn't exceed the original amount. Once opened, you could leave it chunky or blend then thin as you wish with cream, milk or stock.

The advantage of tomato pure or stewed tomatoes is they are multi-purpose, like the tomatoes Zabby uses. Tomato soup one day, ingredient in a pasta sauce another.

Carol

o

Linda_Lou, Agree completely that lemon juice or citric acid wouldn't enhance tomato soup. Hmmm, I was thinking that the soup would be thicker than tomato juice.

Annie: Two last "duh" questions.....hopefully! You can the Roasted Tomato Garlic Soup with the cream or is the cream added when heating the soup just before serving?? Thick cream or Half and Half?? Or none of the above?

""No occupation is so delightful to me as
the culture of the earth, and no culture
comparable to that of the garden. Though
I am an old man, I am a young gardner."

Thomas Jefferson

I'm young at canning anything other than plain, juicy tomatoes. Thank you both for your continued patience.

Pat

o

Pat, you don't can it with the cream (In my files it's in caps: DO NOT INCLUDE CREAM WHEN CANNING...I think Annie has the first draft, lol). Add cream when you heat it up. Cream, 1/2 & 1/2, 2%...it all works. Cream is so good though...

o

Katie, I truly appreciate the "Do Not Include Cream..." note. Just trying to make certain I get this right from the get go. Yum, cream. Does your file copy of the recipe
vary from the first draft?

Last winter I used store bought tomato bisque. DH all but gagged because of the salt content and my Mother mentioned the same complaint several months later. Hence my search for a good homemade tomato soup recipe. Will start this soup tomorrow morning. Looking forward.

Thank you,

Pat

o

Good luck on that soup, Pat. I just happened to have some cream on hand once, and used that and it was good. Regular old milk is good too, I've also used that. Whatever you have on hand.

I always can the soup without the cream, and add the cream when I am heating it up. Although that's not in the recipe, I'm sure Katie mentioned that to me when I got the recipe.

Annie

o

We love the Roasted Tomato Garlic Soup. In fact, am roasting an oven full of tomatoes at the moment to mix with the other 2 batches roasted already today. Doing a seperate pot for yellow soup.

When I first canned the Roasted Tomato Garlic Soup there was a small amount left over that was less than one half pint. I added that overage to some chicken breasts I had baking and it was superb.

When my green peppers turn red, will make Linda Lou's recipe also.

Again thanks so very much for this delightfully delicious recipe.

Pat

o

I'm not much of a "canner" - do you think these recipes could be frozen?

o

Yes, they can be frozen, too. The texture may be a bit different, but good. I know that with some soups, if you reheat them over a double boiler instead of direct heat after they are frozen, the texture is nicer.

o

Re: will definately try the Roasted garlic tomato soup and freeze it..Thanks...Karen

o

I also have a recipe with flour and butter... can it be frozen, too, or is it completely taboo? My mother always made it and it was my favorite...thanks, Jana

o

It is safe to freeze with the flour and butter, but it may seperate and not look so appetizing afterwards.

o

If you're out of half & half or cream, try using powdered coffee creamer in the heated soup. I use it in my roasted red pepper bisque and it works perfectly.

o

This thread is perfect as I bought a pressure canner today and had thoughts of Katies soup for it. Questions answered for me without even asking.

Thanks everyone,

Peppi

o

I made the roasted garlic tomato soup this weekend and it is to die for! Katie, you should trademark and copyright your soup recipes. I'd send samples to Emeril, and maybe you'll be a guest on one of his canning shows.

Like another poster above, I will take an entire weekend and make nothing but the tomato soup. I'm not giving any of it away either! I'll give them a copy of the recipe instead. :)

o

I don't have a cookie sheet, so I used the bottom portion of my broiler pan. It holds a lot more tomatoes.

o

Finally had the chance to try this recipe and absolutely loved. Am experimenting now with just making tomato sauce this way. I needed some for my first batch of Annie's Salsa so I just roasted a pan of tomatoes and onions and then blended them with my stick blender and it was a rich thick beautiful sauce. Think I can can this? I had planned on 10lbs for 30 minutes? I put olive oil and salt and pepper witht the tomatoes.

o

Hello! What is a stick blender? I have a regular blender and used that for my roasted garlic tomato soup., which I might add is YUMMY!!Thanks...The rest I froze...Karen

o

kcsunflower (karen) - stick blender is another name for an immersion blender. It looks like a blender mechanism on the end of a stick that you just stick in the pot. I have a cuisinart one that I got at my Sam's club. They make this recipe even easier since you don't have to transfer it to your blender to blend it up.
Leesa

o

I bought my stick blender from as informercial 20 years ago. First and last time I'll buy anything from TV. It is very good at blending and I like using it for hot chocolate as I make mine with powered cocoa. The add said I could make whipped cream out of skim milk. Not so. Also, when using the chopping blades there was no guard. One could easily chop a finger off using it. I tossed the chopping blades in the trash.
It does have a coffee grinding attachment which I never use. The cost was $129.00 plus S&H.
I can make hot chocolate until the day I die and will still not have my monies worth.
The blender was made in Italy. If it were on the market today I'm sure it would be recalled.

o

Just bumping this up so I can find it easier.

o

Stick blender. I must say that I have used my new one a bit, and its been added to my regular used gadgets. There is another post for a very inexpensive one that I supplied a while back.

o

Sonja Hall, memastitchn@yahoo.com, homemade tomato soup.I have an old recipe I'd like to share with you.

o

this is an old recipe from my mama. 2gal prepared tomato juice, 2sml. stalks celery, 2onions, 1cup sugar, 2 tbls. salt, 2 sticks butter, 2cups plain flour. process celery and onions with small amount juice. I use a blender for this. Hold out 2 cups juice to mix with flour. Use blender and blend until smooth. Place all other ingredients in large kettle and bring to a boil. Slowly add flour mixture and stir until slightly thick. Fill jars,cap,seal and place in water bath for 10 minutes. This will make about 16 pints.ENJOY!

o

Linda Lou, thank you so much for the tomato soup recipe. My mother canned tomato soup every year. However, she open kettle canned it! YIKES. Lucky I am still here. Her recipe was so much like yours that I felt I could once again enjoy her tomato soup and feel like I had a pressure canning time for it. She didn't use the carrots or garlic or bay leaves and used less celery so I just eliminated them and came up with a tomato soup that was so much like hers I couldn't tell the difference. It is so good to have that remembered soup. She used a peck of tomatoes. Not sure how many quarts that would add up to so just used the quarts measurement in your recipe. Thanks again!

o

this is an old recipe from my mama. 2gal prepared tomato juice, 2sml. stalks celery, 2onions, 1cup sugar, 2 tbls. salt, 2 sticks butter, 2cups plain flour. process celery and onions with small amount juice. I use a blender for this. Hold out 2 cups juice to mix with flour. Use blender and blend until smooth. Place all other ingredients in large kettle and bring to a boil. Slowly add flour mixture and stir until slightly thick. Fill jars,cap,seal and place in water bath for 10 minutes. This will make about 16 pints.ENJOY!

Just clarify for any future readers since this is an old thread - this recipe posted by mema2009 is NOT a safe recipe for canning. It may be frozen but it is NOT safe to can.

The 2 recipes posted above by Linda Lou and Annie ARE approved for canning.

Dave

o

Hi, I am planning my garden, and that means I am looking for new canning ideas. "Add cream to taste" Should I do this when serving, or is it approved to do as part of the canning process ? I thought cream was something you shouldn't use in a canning recipe. Thank you.

Scott

o

• Posted by bcskye 5 Brn.Co. IN (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 7, 11 at 14:32

Scott, you do not add the cream before canning. You only add it when you are heating up the soup before serving.

o

Bumping this to keep it alive.

Also, I made the spiced tomato soup recipe Linda Lou posted. It is from the Ball book. Both Linda's posting and the Ball book indicate a yield of 4 pints. I was able to get 8 pints using exact measurements from the recipe.

I have to say, this recipe is phenomenal. I'll have to try the roasted tomato and garlic recipe next.

o

My tomato soup is the easiest thing I do with tomatoes. I have a large crock pot. When I have a lot of extra tomatoes, or tomatoes that are too damaged for normal canning, and no time for normal canning, I make soup. I don't peel or do anything complicated with the tomatoes, just core them, cut them up some. I may add an onion or two, a pepper (hot or sweet), maybe a couple of bay leaves, possibly even a carrot or stalk of celery if I feel like it. I cook it in the crock pot with the lid ajar, so steam escapes, allowing the volume to reduce. Only need to stir it occasionally - on low it can possibly even make it through the day (I've done it). I usually keep it on high and my wife stirs it every couple of hours.

When everything is very well cooked, I run everything through a sieve, removing skins, seeds, fibers, etc. Out comes a good quality tomato soup base. I then run out to the garden for whatever herbs are handy - basil, parsley, sage, mint, lemon balm - any good combination that may go well for a tomato soup, blend it in a mini blender with some of the soup, then poor it in. Salt & pepper to taste. At this point I can heat it on the stove, or return it to the crock pot, put the lid on, and turn it to high. My object is to bring it just to boiling before I can it.

I personally can it in quart jars, in a pressure canner, 10# for 20 minutes, which is what is recommended in my canning book for tomato soup with similar ingredients.

When I go to eat it, since I like cream of tomato soup, I stir in a large dollop of non-fat sour cream, and have my grilled cheese sandwiches ready.

I have a six quart crock pot, and if filled to the top when I start, this makes 4 quarts, perfect for my Mirro canner that holds 4 jars. This really is the easiest thing I can.

o

I want to know why you have to presure cook these recipes and you can not waterbath them??? I have never used a presure cooker for any of my canning before, exept for meat.... and never had a problem.

o

I want to know why you have to presure cook these recipes and you can not waterbath them??? I have never used a presure cooker for any of my canning before, exept for meat.... and never had a problem.

Not sure which recipe you are referring to but all vegetables and most all recipes that contain a mixture of low acid vegetables that have no added acid must be pressure canned to be safe for shelf storage.

You don't mention what all you have been canning. Pickles and jams and jellies? No problem. But vegetables? "Never had a problem" means you may have just been lucky, not that it was safe to do.

I suggest a review of the canning guidelines posted online at NCHFP and in a current edition of the Ball Blue Book.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP

o

For the Roasted Tomato Garlic Soup can anyone give me a weight measure for the tomatoes or at least a variety type? I have some huge beefsteak tomatoes I want to use but 12 of them would equal about 12 lbs of tomatoes. Is that ok for this or should I use smaller paste types?

Also, should I de-seed the tomatoes before roasting?

o

Linda lou, when you simmer in apot, i noticed your recipe does not contain any liquids, do the veggies supply enough so as not to burn?

o

bumping from the dead (almost)

I tripled this recipe tonight and we got approximately 4 quarts..

I'm using a 1" headspace because it wasnt stated anywhere...can anyone tell me if this is correct?

Also, this was a HUGE hit as we had some before canning, but my only critique was from hubby who couldnt eat anymore due to the skins on the tomatoes..

so next time I'll run them through my Victorio!

o

momagain1 - Once again, which recipe are you referring to?

There are several recipes posted in this thread. Only 2 of them (the BBB one and Katie C's Roasted one) are approved as safe to use.

Dave

o

Sorry Dave,

just for future reference; I NEVER can anything that isnt approved safe...

Katies roasted one :-)

o

Good! My copy of Katie C's Roasted Tomato Soup calls for 1" head space. That is the standard norm for canning soups.

Dave

o

Nice thread here. For the 1" head space, absolutely. I was preparing a recipe that said 1/2" head space (which I thought was odd). Turned out to be a hot-water bath recipe. When I pressure-canned it, the contents came out. The water was full of tomatoes. The jars had lost quite a bit of the content... The pressure canner ALWAYS makes the contents bubble and boil, so that inch is essential.

For the first soup recipe here, I have made that one several time this summer. It is in many cook books and on the sites of the canning supply companies.

I note a few things and I have learned a few things. Some versions use less cloves. If you want the spice without the strong clove taste, knock that tablespoon down to about 2 teaspoons.

Add a fistful of fresh garden parsley.

The original recipe is quite sweet enough with 1/2 cup sugar.

I leave out the salt (add it later if you want).

I use 2 or more cloves of garlic.

I have added thyme at times, no problem.

This also makes a great stock or "rescue" stock for bland recipes.

o

This recipe makes about 6 pints. I use a Greenstar (like a Champion) to extract an extra 2-3 cups of broth from the strained ingredients.

For "simmer until soft", 2 hours works well.

I see no reason to peel and core tomatoes that are soon to be strained and discarded. This means I can now make this recipe fairly quickly. The 5 vegetables are all in my garden, which is why I made this one so many times.

o

So I grew up on Campbells tomato soup and grilled cheese- anyone have a recipe for tomato soup like that? The tomatoes I'd be using are cored, peeled, and frozen in pints.
Great forum, glad I stumbled on it!

o

So I grew up on Campbells tomato soup and grilled cheese- anyone have a recipe for tomato soup like that?

Yes, you canned seasoned tomato sauce following the standard tomato sauce instructions (your choice of dried seasonings) and then stir in the the milk after opening. To taste just like Campbell's you'd need to grow their variety of tomatoes and know their exact seasonings.

Have you tried their new Harvest Orange Tomato soup? Delicious!

Dave

o

Hello Malbadger. I sympathize with you because cream of tomato soup is one of my favorite memories. I also prefer home-made (and I also agree with Dave about how to duplicate the taste of Campbell's). My garden tomato inventory is low enough that I am using it to make paste and sauces and so I am pleased to have found Pacific Organic Creamy Tomato Soup in Tetra Paks.

It is so close to my memory of Campbell's and I really enjoy it. Milk may be a big part of the secret because milk is the first ingredient, followed by water, tomato paste, cane sugar, sea salt, sodium citrate, rice flour, cheese flavor, garlic powder, onion powder.

I can only imagine it improving with REAL garlic, onion, cheese, etc. To eat fresh, you should not need the sodium. You can adjust any of it, come up with a flavor you like. I would probably omit rice flour if I were making it myself.

I do not buy much in cans any more. I prefer the reduced salt and better flavor of Tetra Pak and glass, and of course, home-made from scratch.

o

Thanks for the input. I ended up taking out two pint jars from my freezer stash and following Mark Bittman's recipe in How To Cook Everything. I did the pureed version, but added more broth as I like the thin consistency. For creaminess I added a splash of almond milk to my bowl. Am I correct that I could pressure can this if I omit the oil/butter the onions and carrots are cooked in (and the almond milk)? Is any amount of oil acceptable in a prepping a recipe for pressure canning?

o

Can Linda Lou's recipe be done without adding any sugar?

o

Probably as the sugar provides only a minimal safety role by binding up some of the free water. But the flavor will be very different. As Linda Lou said above, " I would taste it before I added the full amount of sugar in case you don't like it that sweet" so reducing it is clearly no problem. But I don't think I would care for the bitter aftertaste of it if I eliminated the sugar completely.

Dave

o

I find a little bit of sugar will kill the acidy taste that fresh canned tomatoes have. Splenda and Truvia also works.

o

I just made the recipe and used half the sugar. What is the purpose of the cloves? I really wish I had left them out but was afraid it would affect the processing time.

o

Cloves is just a flavoring agent. While they appeal to most people and usually compliment tomatoes well some folks just don't care for them.

They can be left out with no problems but it will affect the flavor. Any dried herb or seasoning can always be left out, or even increased somewhat, if you wish without affecting the processing times. It is fresh herbs and spices that can't be altered.

The issue with dried spices and seasonings is that they can often turn bitter or over-whelming turning shelf storage so that's why they are are used carefully.

Dave

o

Are there any versions safe for water bath canning?

o

Are there any versions safe for water bath canning?

For soup? No. Too many added low acid ingredients and most are too dense.

But you can always just BWB can plain tomato sauce and then turn it into soup after opening the jars. Herbs, seasonings, milk, etc. can always be added AFTER you open the jars.

Dave

o

Thanks. Maybe I'll freeze some...

o

For the Spiced Tomato Soup recipe, could the tomatoes, carrots and peppers be roasted before adding to the pot with the rest of the ingredients (any of the veggies or all)? They are so sweet after roasting. I imagine you could use less sugar plus get that great depth roasting provides.

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 23:02

Yes they can be roasted first. Just measure before as the roasting will shrink them some.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here