Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brokenbar

Special Carrot Canning Recipe(s)

brokenbar
17 years ago

It is that time of the year and I find myself canning carrots today. Decided I would share a really special recipe passed down from my Grandmother to my Mother and then to me. My family loves the cranberry and the pineapple variety while I favor the orange or apple variety. Either way, these carrots are a special dish for company or for Holidays and will quickly become a family tradition!

Orange Glazed Canned Carrots (Can also be Apple glazed, cranberry Glazed or Pineapple Glazed.)

Carrots- Washed, Peeled, Sliced Into 1/4" pieces- As many or as little as you choose to can.

1 can frozen orange juice concentrate thawed or frozen Apple Juice Concentrate Or Frozen Cranberry Concentrate or Frozen Pineapple Concentrate (If you cannot find frozen pineapple concentrate you may substitute pineapple juice but add 3 tablespoons to each pint jar or 1/4 cup to each quart jar.))

Brown Sugar

Cube Butter (I personally have not tried using margarine.)

Place sliced carrots into clean pint or quart jars leaving 1" room at top of jar. Add 1/2tsp of concentrated juice of your choice. Add 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar. Place a 1/8" slice of butter on top of carrots (Slice should be no thicker than a butter pat wrapped in foil that you would get in a restaurant.) Add boiling water to within 1" of top.

Wipe rims with paper towel. Place lids and rings on jars and tighten securely. Process in pressure canner at the following rates:

1000 foot elevation or less- Pints-25 minutes @ 10 lbs, Quarts- 30 minutes at 10 lbs.

1000 Foot Elevation or above- Pints-25 minutes @ 15 lbs

Quarts-30 minutes at 15 lbs. ( I live at 4500 foot elevation.)

When process complete, remove jars to table with a thick towel over it (These jars are hot enough to bubble finish on a table or counter.) Allow to cool completely (I leave them overnight.) Inspect jars. Place any jars that have a lid that did not seal into the refrigerator for quick use. Remove rings. Lable jars with content and date.

Comments (16)

• Linda_Lou
    17 years ago

While your carrots sound really tasty, I am sorry, but adding butter to them is not safe to do. Butter and oil coat foods in the jar, sort of like a blanket, and can allow botulism spores to survive even through pressure canning.
    It would be fine to can, then add the butter when you heat them before serving.

• brokenbar
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Linda_Lou, You are probably right. I have always done it this way but have recently read all of the posts regarding oil canning. I know my mom always insisted that there not be too much butter. Anyway, to be on the safe side, members should leave out the butter and add when warming carrots up. They really are delicious! Thanks Linda_lou! Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: Broken Bar Botanicals

• malonanddonna
    17 years ago

I would have no problem with that small amount of butter! You'll get more fat in a jar when pressure canning beef or chicken than that small amount.

• readinglady
    17 years ago

Thanks for sharing that recipe. It's always nice to have something different with veggies ready out of the jar.

Which reminds me that somewhere I have a canning recipe for Harvard Beets with orange. I should look it up - haven't made it in an age.

Carol

• sherribaby
    17 years ago

Carol,

The harvard beet recipe would be much appreciated :)

• readinglady
    17 years ago

It'll take a search but I will get back to you and let you know what I find.

Carol

• readinglady
    17 years ago

From the Better-Late-Than-Never Category: We won't discuss the condition of my recipe collection coming to the end of the canning season, but here's the Orange Pickled Beets recipe I promised long ago.

I haven't made this for a long time, but it can be canned and served as pickled or thickened and served Harvard-Style.

Orange Pickled Beets (by Florence Fabricant in the Garden-to-Table Cookbook)

Makes 6 pints

8-9 pounds beets, without tops
    12 narrow strips orange peel, an inch or so long
    3 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
    3 cups sugar
    1 cup orange juice, preferably freshly squeezed
    1 tablespoon pickling or kosher salt

1. Wash beets, leaving an inch or so of stems. Place in a large kettle, cover with water and bring to a boil. Cover the kettle and simmer the beets until tender, about one hour depending on size.

2. While the beets are cooking, simmer the orange peel in water to cover for 15 minutes, then drain.

3. Combine vinegar, sugar, orange juice and the prepared orange peel in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes. Set aside.

4. When the beets are tender, drain them and rinse in cold water. Slip off the skins and lsice the beets.

5. Fill clean, hot pint jars with hot beet slices, leaving headroom of 1/2 inch. Add 1/2 tsp. salt to each jar.

6. Return the orange syrup to a boil and fill each jar to within 1/2 inch of the top with boiling syrup. Include 2 strips of peel in each jar.

7. Adjust lids and process the jars in a boiling-water-bath for 30 minutes.

Carol

• sami46
    16 years ago

Hi! Brokenbar-can I use the water bath medothod of canning for this recipe? I have a bumper crop of carrots and will freeze most of them, your recipe sounds so wonderful I really want to try it with some of them!
    thank you for sharing your family's recipe
    Sami

• Linda_Lou
    16 years ago

Sorry, but the recipe is not safe canning in any manner with the butter or margarine.Both can allow botulism to grow. That and it would have to be pressure canned as it is not pickled with added acid to make it safe. You need to freeze it or pressure can without the added fat.

• bcskye
    16 years ago

Thanks for the carrot recipes, Mary. I've been looking for something a little different for canning carrots and this is it. I will, of course, leave the butter out and add it when heating for a meal.

Skye

• brokenbar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Skye, You will love these and adding the butter after is certainly not a big deal. I have never tried the pineapple but and going to for thanksgiving. Mary

• robinkateb
    16 years ago

Carol, Thanks!! That recipe sounds really good. I bet I can double up on root veggies next month at my CSA and get enough to make this.

-Robin

• kwellman
    11 years ago

A friend of mine tried this recipe and says that there are little particles floating on top of the carrots. Can anyone tell me if this is normal.

• readinglady
    11 years ago

Which recipe are you referring to? If it's the beets, there is orange zest and pulp in the juice so particles from the orange would be expected.

Also, if organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar is used, that may also leave a residue.

In either case, it's normal.

Carol

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

You said carrots - did your friend use the recipe with the butter? I'd throw it out (as linda_lou said, butter's not safe to can).

• readinglady
    11 years ago

Boy, after a day of gardening I definitely needed to read more carefully! Thanks for catching that, ajsmama.

Carol