Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charcuterie_gw

Question about Canning Gumbo Base (without the Roux!)

Charcuterie
11 years ago

I'm curious if it would be possible to pressure can quarts or pints of some sort of gumbo base that I could then add to a roux. I was thinking of a chicken soup texture. Made with roasted chicken stock, lean sausage or dark chicken meat, onion, bell peppers, celery and maybe okra along with seasoning like bay leaf, cayenne and Tabasco sauce. Canning the mixture for 75 minutes at 10 psi (as is appropriate for my elevation.)

I know no one can recommend anything that doesn't have a approved recipe, but is this theoretically be safe? The texture I'm imagining would be similar to chicken soup. I wasn't planning on using seafood because it would be a texture issue. For the vegetables I was thinking of using okra but that cause some density issues since it thickens. I might just do the okra separately.

I want to be able to make a roux, add a jar of base a pack of frozen peeled shrimp and have a gumbo done quickly rather than having to cut everything up. I know I could freeze this but that isn't practical right now. If you guys say this is a foolish idea I will listen, but I was hoping it would be ok.

Comments (2)