Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about Canning Gumbo Base (without the Roux!)

Posted by Charcuterie none (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 11, 12 at 12:46

I'm curious if it would be possible to pressure can quarts or pints of some sort of gumbo base that I could then add to a roux. I was thinking of a chicken soup texture. Made with roasted chicken stock, lean sausage or dark chicken meat, onion, bell peppers, celery and maybe okra along with seasoning like bay leaf, cayenne and Tabasco sauce. Canning the mixture for 75 minutes at 10 psi (as is appropriate for my elevation.)

I know no one can recommend anything that doesn't have a approved recipe, but is this theoretically be safe? The texture I'm imagining would be similar to chicken soup. I wasn't planning on using seafood because it would be a texture issue. For the vegetables I was thinking of using okra but that cause some density issues since it thickens. I might just do the okra separately.

I want to be able to make a roux, add a jar of base a pack of frozen peeled shrimp and have a gumbo done quickly rather than having to cut everything up. I know I could freeze this but that isn't practical right now. If you guys say this is a foolish idea I will listen, but I was hoping it would be ok.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about Canning Gumbo Base (without the Roux!)

I don't see any reason why you couldn't. The approved meat and vegetable recipe should accomodate what you want. Okra isn't prohibited and in reasonable amounts I can't see a problem with it.

The main issue would be to use no more than 50% solids (i.e. meat and vegetables) per jar with the remainder being broth.

You may already be aware of the link, but for others reading, I'll post it.

Also, roux can be made in batches and frozen in serving size portions. That wouldn't take up much freezer space and given the amount of time roux can take, it's a possibility if you've not already considered it.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Canning Meat and Vegetable Soups

o
RE: Question about Canning Gumbo Base (without the Roux!)

Ahh those are two very good tips thanks so much for your reply and for the link. You're great! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here