Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pitting Nanking cherries

Posted by prairie_love z3/4 ND (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 25, 09 at 12:47

After searching this forum, I only found one or two people who have posted about using Nanking cherries, and I don't see their names often so... I'm hoping someone is around who has worked with these little guys.

And that's the point. These are little tart cherries, and I do mean little. They are about the size of a red currant. But, they have a pit. Several of the recipes I would like to try call for pitting the cherries. My question is simply this - how would you go about pitting such a little fruit?

Thanks,
Ann

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pitting Nanking cherries

Don't expect too much pulp from such small things. A good way to deseed and extract all the juices is to use the Villware, Roma, Weston, Prago Trade type food strainer. This strainer only comes with a single screen for tomatoes, so you would have to also buy the OPTIONAL grape spiral for larger seeds, as well as the berry screen and others. The machine on its own with the included spiral might jam with large seeds, so they offer a shorter spiral that allows big seeds (like grape) to pass out the end. Beyond that, there is not much else you can use other than a regular sieve.

o

I have some of these bushes and I was thinking about just doing a jelly with it that way you don't have to pit them. I normally only do jam cause I don't like to waste fruit but the food strainer is a good idea! But between the birds and my kids, I never get any! :(

Carly

o

Carly, I guess I will just do the jelly. I found a couple of interesting recipes that would be more jam-ish and so would want the pulp, but it just doesn't seem worth it to try to do.

Ken, yes, I have a strainer with the various accessories including the berry one. But that still won't give me pulp which is what I was hoping for.

I love the taste of these Nanking cherries. I have wanted to plant some, hadn't got around to it, and had never tasted them till today (I bought them at the farmer's market). Now I WILL plant them!

Thanks!
Ann

o

If you use the regular holed screen that comes with the food strainer and use the grape spiral auger, it should give you all the pulp possible. When I run tomatoes through with the tomato screen, I use the regular spiral and always run the waste through a second time. This gives me a fairly dry waste. I use the berry screen for red raspberries due to the smaller seeds. In your case, use the screen that comes with the strainer, and use the shorter grape spiral. After a run through, put the waste through again to extract all the rest of the pulp and moisture. Nothing wasted there! Here, I planted a Montmorency cherry tree this past spring and it had a few flowers but is too young to bear any fruits. If birds get to yours, suggest that you drape a white plastic non woven fabric over the bushes, and close up any openings at the base where the winged creatues might want to sneak. in. The fabric will allow air, moisture and sunlight in, but keeps out birds and bugs. My bleberry bushes get stripped clean overnight!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here