Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pressure canning beans: beans sit above the liquid after canning

Posted by JessicaInOhio Ohio (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 12:49

Hi. I tried pressure canning for the first time last night. I did garbanzo beans and followed the USDA recipe. The recipe calls for filling up the jars with beans (1 in headspace) and then covering the beans with liquid.

After pressure canning I noticed that the beans had soaked up some of the liquid and now some of them are sitting above the liquid line. Is that normal/right/safe?

Thanks!
-Jessica

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pressure canning beans: beans sit above the liquid after cann

Safe? Yes, assuming all the jars sealed well and were processed properly. Which rehydrating process did you use? The results differ. The overnight soak means the beans will absorb less when canned.

Normal? Not really as it can be avoided with practice and gives better results since the beans will be liquid covered and won't darken with time so less waste.

Some of the liquid loss is due to siphoning and some from over-filling the jars. Siphoning is a heat control issue - avoiding fluctuations in the heat and pressure - and that takes practice.

The rest is resolved by only filling the jar about 3/4 full - just below the jar shoulders - of rehydrated beans and the rest with liquid. That way they still absorb some but leave enough to still cover the beans.

It also varies with the type and size of bean.

Dave

o
RE: Pressure canning beans: beans sit above the liquid after cann

Thanks, Dave. I did have a little trouble maintaining steady pressure. It was up at 15 for a while before I could keep it at a steady 11 psi. And it sounds like I need to put fewer beans in too.

Practice, practice! I'm glad I started out with something cheap!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here